Known vampires

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

320 Leo Dilisnya is born, the youngest son of Pidlwik Dilisnya. [Gaz4]

351 Sergei and Tatyana’s wedding. Strahd makes pact with Death, becoming a vampire. Between Strahd and assassins sent by Leo Dilisnya, all the guests are killed. The Demiplane of Dread forms as Barovia becomes an island domain. [Between DoD pg. 16, RoT, I,S, FtS, and VotM these events are pretty well documented. However, I,S introduces Dilisnya’s assassins, which conflicts with what we had read elsewhere, including FtS, where PCs encounter the scene for themselves. Although I,S can easily be discounted as Strahd’s propaganda, I actually quite like the idea of giving the Dilisnyas a long history of treachery and murder. My explanation; the assassins were there, provoking Strahd’s wrath (by shooting him with crossbows), but when Strahd retaliated he didn’t bother to distinguish between assassin and innocent guest.]

398 Strahd hunts down and punishes the traitor, Leo Dilisnya; learns of the monastery on Mt. Baratok. (This same monastery may be the one later used by the Guardians and which ends up in Markovia.) [DoD pg. 16; I,S]

398 DP Barovia: Strahd von Zarovich tracked down Leo Dilisnya at the Monastery of Silver Threads. Strahd turned Leo into a vampire and had him locked in a tomb. [Gaz1]

Leo Dilisnya, venerable human ancient vampire

Leo Dilisnya the former patriarch of the Dilisnya clan has at least hired Ba'al Verzi to murder Strahd when he was still a mortal. It could be that he himself was a member. He was killed and turned into a vampire by Strahd and then entombed somewhere. If he ever escapes he is probably the oldest vampire to never have even tasted blood. He was an adult at Sergei's wedding, so he got turned into a vampire in old or venerable age though he was said to have "magically slowing his aging". According to Gaz4 he would have been venerable.

Probable SLAs: Blood Lust, Gluttony?
Notes: Dilisnya bloodline, probably insane.

A possible build: The Ari7/Nec5/Clr4 build from Gaz1 seems very ill fitting, I would at least switch all cleric levels to wizard and possibly add rogue and/or perhaps deceiver levels.
Possible feats: Find Weakness, Stealthy Blade, Machiavellian, Persuasive

In the 4e Adventure „Fair Barovia“ from Dungeon #207, Leo is a level 10 elite skirmisher (think ranger/mobile fighter/slayer) fighting with a dagger. He wears a lion amulet and can shape change into a gaunt, winged humanoid with leonine and batlike features.

His skills & attributes are:
Skills Arcana +12, Bluff +13, Intimidate +13, Religion +12
Str 20 (+10) Dex 18 (+9) Con 18 (+9)
Int 14 (+7) Wis11(+5) Cha 17(+8)

In PF you could make him a slayer (Stygian slayer, velvet blade), though he needs a few wizards levels in addition to that.
Last edited by The Giamarga on Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Auden Beck's 2E hit dice clearly tag him as Old, although the flavor-text makes him sound older than that. As of now, Beck's strain of vampirism is unique to his description, but the sea-monster book will be fixing that oversight with a new template. :)

In 2E he was a fighter, and his attacks/round in CotN:V imply that he was somewhere in the 7th-12th level range. That's from a system that didn't include a barbarian class, however. I'm considering Bar5/Ftr5 for his VRF:TotD sidebar, so he gains some perks of both classes and his original HD can stay the same.
Brb5/Ftr5 is very fitting for a Viking imho. I'll have to reread CotN:V soon.

According to JWM's timeline Audun was turned into a vampire around 500 BC, which does indeed make him an old vampire:

500 Captain Audun Beck, captain of the dragonship Illsong, claims a helm with a magical gem while looting a wizard’s tower. Later, through a freak of fate, this gem turns Beck into a sea vampire. When the holy men of his home village can not help him, he razes the entire village. When the smoke clears, Captain Beck and the undead crew of the Illsong find themselves in the Sea of Sorrows. [CotN:V pg. 15: Since the Sea of Sorrows doesn’t exist yet, there are two ways to interpret this: either the Illsong sailed in an aquatic Island of Terror for an unknown time, only later entering the Core; or all of Captain Beck’s past is just part of the Sea of Sorrows’ false history.]
Last edited by The Giamarga on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Aside from Kas (who could very well have been a patriarch vampire as he was a vampire for at least 900+ years when he entered Ravenloft in 750 and was a powerfull warrior) these are all the vampires of age category ancient or older that i could find so far.

Lyssa von Zarovich is a vampire since 554 BC, which would make her an old vampire but if her ghost-aging experiment really did "age" her for 200 years she would indeed be of the ancient category.

The Kargat Beryll Silvertress is a female old dwarven vampire Ftr5/Ari5, NE (Gaz2, p36)

Tavelia is at least mature possibly old. She's a nosferatu. Possible SLAs: Pallid Flesh? ...or Mind Games (from ghost) ?

More mature vampires: Merilee Markuza (Book of Secrets), Urik von Karkhov (nosferatu, darklord SLA: extra form(panther), Ftr11)

I don't know when Dr. Dominiani became a vampire.
Last edited by The Giamarga on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Other vampires from CotN:V:
Moosha (desert vampire)
Myxitizajal (greater vampirc ixitxachitl)
Lady Aveline (elf)
Don Pablo (Vorlog)
Alexi (vampire slave)
Jack Bequick (trickster vampire)
Lady Heather Shadowbrooke (druid vampiress)
Ezra (nosferatu of the sewers)
Mulger d'Ajust (vampire sage)

Isn't there also a samurai eastern vampire ?

Also there are a wedded couple of nosferatu in the Dungeon adventure "The Price of Revenge" set in Valachan. The then town mayor and a female Doctor sent by Karkhov. I think at least the doctor is also mentioned in the Valachan chapter of Gazetteer 4.
Last edited by The Giamarga on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

The Giamarga wrote:According to JWM's timeline Audun was turned into a vampire around 500 BC, which does indeed make him an old vampire:

500 Captain Audun Beck, captain of the dragonship Illsong, claims a helm with a magical gem while looting a wizard’s tower. Later, through a freak of fate, this gem turns Beck into a sea vampire.
Actually, the gem only cursed his crew to arise as sea zombies and jolly rogers, and his ship, to sink at dawn and rise anew at dusk. Beck's own undead condition was conferred by the bite of another octopus-form sea vampire on his world of origin.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

no samurai eastern vamp in CotN, but you missed Marla (Penangglan). dunno if Penangglans count, but you counted a Vorlog, which I wouldn't have, so maybe they do. :)

(Only others in CotN are Jander and Lyssa, which have been mentioned already)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

The 3E Oriental Adventures book explicitly calls the penangglon a type of vampire.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Erasmus van Richten, male human fledgeling Vampire Groom, deceased. born 692,
turned 706 by Baron Metus, slain 706 by his father Rudolph
Probably Com1 or Exp1 before the Dark Kiss.
No SLAs.

Sources:
Bleak House, Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium I - pp8-9, 208,210, Bleak House:Heroes, Monsters, and Settings - p5, Bleak House:Homecoming - p11,pp46-47, Ravenloft Campaign Setting:Domains and Denizens - p92, Tales of Ravenloft: The Crucible of Dr. Rudolph van Richten - p9, p17, Van Richten's Guide to The Created - p19-20, Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts - p4, Van Richten's Guide to Vampires - pp4-5, Realm of Terror - p114

Baron Metus, male human Mature vampire, presumed deceased.
born outside of RL, followed his vistani crush into RL, where she spurned him, and he fled. Kargat took him in and turned him (must be some time after the formation of the Kargat in 580). Slain by Van Richten in 706. Revived by Madame Radanovich in 742. Presumed slain by adventurers in 750.
Should have several arristocrat levels, and maybe the Duelist PrC
SLA: none given in Bleak House. Can't think of anything offhand

Sources:
Bleak House:Heroes, Monsters, and Settings - p5,14, Bleak House - Sea of Madness - pp92-94, Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium I - pp8-9, 194,208,210,264, Tales of Ravenloft: The Crucible of Dr. Rudolph van Richten - pp14-17, Van Richten's Guide to The Created - p5,19-20,74, Van Richten's Guide to Vampires - pp4-5, Realm of Terror - p114

Dr. Daclaud Heinfroth (Dr. Dominiani) - Male, human, Cerebral Vampire
Born in Gundarak, which formed in 593 and dissolved in 735. Unless he is a false-history refugee, that makes him fledgeling or barely mature. And all the other cerebrals must be fledgelings, since he didn't start creating them until after the GC in 735.

Became a cerebral vampire by injecting himself with cerebral fluid (in an attempt to cure his madness) from a woman who had (unbeknownst to Dominiani) just been fed on by Duke Gundar.

Certainly an Exp, maybe with some Learned Physician levels.

Sources:
Ravenloft Third Edition, Domains of Dread, Bleak House, Feast of Goblyns.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
brothersale
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brothersale »

Palik
a Thrax
the general describtion is a water vampire (VRGttWD reclassified Thrax as a hungry dead, but its always seemed more vamp to me)
Ravenloft Monstrous compendium II
Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium I & II

Also there must be at least one un-named vampire Drow in the setting according to Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium III

In addition there are several vampires in the Kargatane e-books.
All great movements require a few martyrs... -Moebius (soulreaver 2)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Actually, the sidebar on p. 48 of VRGttWD correctly points out that thrax are not undead. The Twins misidentified it as a Hungry Dead type, probably because of a superficial similarity in feeding habits.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

brothersale wrote:Also there must be at least one un-named vampire Drow in the setting according to Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium III
Ditto for Gnomish and Halfling vamps, which don't have any named examples (at least in the catalogue and my memory), and vrykolakas (I don't think it was confirmed that Mircea was one, was it? Memory failing, no time to check RLDMG.)

But then there's gotta be an example vamp for each possible salient ability described in the VRG, VRMHC, RCS, and RPLH, no? Down that road lies madness. :)
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

gonzoron wrote:no samurai eastern vamp in CotN, but you missed Marla (Penangglan). dunno if Penangglans count, but you counted a Vorlog, which I wouldn't have, so maybe they do. :)

(Only others in CotN are Jander and Lyssa, which have been mentioned already)
Yep, I missed Marla. Was she the one destroyed in Dragon's Ecology of the Penangalan?

Also you listed:

Mayonaka
Monsterous Compendium I & II - pp122-125
Monsterous Compendium II - "Vampire, Eastern (Mayonaka)"
Ravenloft Campaign Setting: Domains and Denizens - p40
Oriental Vampire (Monster)

Isn't this one a mighty samurai warrior who wanders the land seeking a better swordsman than himself?
Last edited by The Giamarga on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

gonzoron wrote:
brothersale wrote:Also there must be at least one un-named vampire Drow in the setting according to Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium III
Ditto for Gnomish and Halfling vamps, which don't have any named examples (at least in the catalogue and my memory), and vrykolakas (I don't think it was confirmed that Mircea was one, was it? Memory failing, no time to check RLDMG.)

But then there's gotta be an example vamp for each possible salient ability described in the VRG, VRMHC, RCS, and RPLH, no? Down that road lies madness. :)
The madness of this thread :-) Seeing how many vampires we have already found i see no problem with mapping all the SLAs to a known vampire. But then feldglings may already have 1 SLA and many of the vampires can have already been destroyed, with only the reports of their abilities surviving.
Last edited by The Giamarga on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

gonzoron wrote: Baron Metus, male human Mature vampire, presumed deceased.
born outside of RL, followed his vistani crush into RL, where she spurned him, and he fled. Kargat took him in and turned him (must be some time after the formation of the Kargat in 580). Slain by Van Richten in 706. Revived by Madame Radanovich in 742. Presumed slain by adventurers in 750.
Should have several arristocrat levels, and maybe the Duelist PrC
SLA: none given in Bleak House. Can't think of anything offhand

Sources:
Bleak House:Heroes, Monsters, and Settings - p5,14, Bleak House - Sea of Madness - pp92-94, Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium I - pp8-9, 194,208,210,264, Tales of Ravenloft: The Crucible of Dr. Rudolph van Richten - pp14-17, Van Richten's Guide to The Created - p5,19-20,74, Van Richten's Guide to Vampires - pp4-5, Realm of Terror - p114
Did he try to make Van Richten's son into his Vampire groom ? How was he revived ? And didn't he somehow linger on after his 1st destruction or is this only in Ron's campaign ?
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

So we have a few wizard types, many warrior types, a few rogues, a few experts and aristocrats. Not one clerical type yet except Leo Dilisnya who imnsho is very misrepresented by his Gaz1 stats.