Nightmare Court Adventure Help

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nightmare Court Adventure Help

Post by Band2 »

I mentioned in a post about Joel’s campaign that I had an adventure idea involving the Nightmare Court, and may want some help from the community fleshing out the idea. So this thread is for that. It is still a rough idea right now. Places and names can be changed to fit better once the adventure is more solid.

The adventure background begins with two rogues, Joe and Bill. They discovered a tomb in the rocky badlands of western Hazlan or eastern Kartakass. In the tomb they found much riches, and a strange symbol painted on the wall of a eye. Joe was overcome with greed and did not want to share the wealth with Bill so he killed his friend in the tomb, and fled the tomb with as much plunder as he could carry.
So there after Joe began to have nightmares. They always revolved around Bill’s death. Joe soon went insane, maybe he was already. Eventually he became a lunatic. On the nights the moon was full, we would wander the streets killing people. He was affected this way because he associates the moon with a giant eye looking down on him. The only way he knows to “shut the eye” is to kill people and cut out their eyes. The nightmares actually feed this believe as when ever he kills someone and does not cut out their eyes, they appear in the nightmare will Bill. But if he does cut out the eyes, the victims do appear in the nightmare but they cannot see him, and thus he can avoid them.
Eventually Joe became a patient of Dr. Illhousen. Just before the adventure begins, Joe escapes as the moon is becoming full.

So the adventure would begin with Dr. Illhousen or someone else telling the characters of Joe’s escape and hiring them to capture the man. After some scenes in which the characters track down Joe in Kantora or another large city in Nova Vaasa, the party captures Joe and returns him to Dr. Illhousen.

After some study of Joe, Dr. Illhousen has figured out the man’s connection to the nightmare court. He asks the party to help by joining Joe’s dream and seeking to free him from the nightmares. The party faces some nightmare battle. If victorious, Joe becomes slightly more sane and can tell the party about the murder of Bill and the cache of loot. He thinks the loot is cursed.
That would lead to the next part of the adventure were the characters journey to Joe’s hidden treasure.

So first some questions. Is there any cannon person who has taken over for Dr. Illhousen as the expert on nightmares and the Nightmare Court? Since he was dragged into the Nightmare Lands he cannot be used as the Dr. in this adventure.

Which member of the nightmare court would fit Joe best? The ones I considered possible choices are:
The Rainbow Serpent draws on paranoia and being betrayed by loved ones.
The Ghost Dancer draws on guilt and shame.
Hypnos draws on failure and humiliation which would not fit, but he may be more atmospheric for the dream as he lay there and stare at the dreamer combined with the eyes/ eyeless motif of the nightmare.
Of course the Nightmare Man draws on any bad dreams.
Any suggestions on which would fit best?

After those questions I will want some help on designing Joe’s nightmare. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Only two things scare me and one is former back-up dancers for Christina Aguilera.