Memento Mori: a New Secret Society

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

ROTFL!!!

Crud, I edited out the fact that Darcine leads Tessius to their base because I realized that with the ground shaking and all, that was a lot of walking to cover in one post. She may do so later, when you get closer, or when the ground stops shaking as much.

Ummmm....in the mean time, that's, uh, foreshadowing. Yeah, yeah, that's it! :oops:
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Fuzzball
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Fuzzball »

Of course...foreshadowing! I should have realized. <<smacks forehead>> Thanks for clearing that up for me. :wink:
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Back to the subject of how a group might pull this off, I think one of the best ways to clue oneself in would be to learn something of a new language, and leave notes for yourself in this language.

Apart from the game rules explanation that the points have been spent and can't be unspent, there is actually an in-game explanation based on real-world phenomena, because skills are stored in a different part of the brain than memories.

Long ago when I was researching amnesia, a nurse told me the story of a doctor she worked with who had a stroke and suddenly became a patient in the hospital where he had worked. The stroke damaged his memory to the point that he couldn't remember where or when he had every gone to medical school, but when she offered him his chart, he read and understood it.

In the same way, a member of Memento Mori could learn Darkonese or Vaasi from other members, and have herself tattooed with something brief in one of those languages. Upon having her memory wiped, the woman would see the tattoo and know what it meant, but not know how she knew. This would help drive home instantly the most crucial thing she needs to remember: someone has been fiddling with her mind.

It's possible for one to do this with other skills, but languages seem like the best idea, because there are so many more clues one can give with them.

I don't think this society warrants its own prestige class, but I wonder what prestige classes would be well suited to it. Any ideas?
Fuzzball
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Fuzzball »

Hmmm...prestige classes...

If you want to run with the tattoo thing then the Tattooed Monk (Complete Warrior p.83) might work well. In addition to their magical tattoos they would have mundane tattoos and no one would think anything of them. While I don't care for monks personally, they do have average skill points and no need to carry around weapons. They might be a little too structured for the society though.

The Exemplar (Complete Adventurer p. 45) has the high skill points of a rogue, bonuses to skills, and the ability to aid others in the use of skills. The bonuses are nice, but if they aren't using the teamwork abilities then it's not really an improvement over rogue I suppose.

The Shadowbane Stalker (Complete Adventurer p. 73) has Discover subterfuge...which would actually probably be better to use against the society...so never mind...

I don't know how dangerous it is to be a psionic in RL, but the Shadowmind (Complete Adventurer p. 74) is pretty cool. Of course, the Read Thoughts ability would probably get the character's brain fried unless they're careful.

Spellcasters seem to have a hard time in this situation since they might retain the ability to cast spells, but they forget which spells they can cast. If you're going to use a spellcaster however, the Beguiler in the PHB II is a base class, Int based spontaneous caster, which gets 6+Int skill points per level. With that many skill points they could easily learn a new language.
mistshadow2k4
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by mistshadow2k4 »

Congratulations, DeepShadow. You actually came up with a secret society that I like! That's really saying something; there are just too many of them for my taste so I ignore most. Although I don't know how much use I'll get out of this one (my group's PCs were Sithican, Darkonian and Borcan) I'll have it IMC world. Maybe the next time I steer them towards the Sea of Sorrows they can have a mini-adventure on Blaustein.
[i]I have come to accept the surrender of Hell.[/i] —From 101 Witty Paladin Sayings
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Thanks! I realize it's of limited mileage as presented, but it can go lots of places. Remember that the leader has ambitions of spreading them to Darkon once they have perfected some of their techniques; perhaps IYC they have already done so, and they contact the Darkonian PC.
mistshadow2k4
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by mistshadow2k4 »

DeepShadow wrote:Thanks! I realize it's of limited mileage as presented, but it can go lots of places. Remember that the leader has ambitions of spreading them to Darkon once they have perfected some of their techniques; perhaps IYC they have already done so, and they contact the Darkonian PC.
Not a bad idea. :)
[i]I have come to accept the surrender of Hell.[/i] —From 101 Witty Paladin Sayings
Ronia Sun
Arch-villain
Arch-villain
Location: Laramie, Wyoming, gearing up for another looong winter...

Post by Ronia Sun »

Hmmm. Intriguing society. I may have to work that one into my campaign eventually...

Taking MM to Darkon--now that's an ambitious idea! I like it. Of course, things would get far hairier when faced with Azalin Rex and the Kargat, as opposed to Bluebeard and his thugs...Lots of potential there.

Indeed, if you stop and consider, mind control in one form or another is the source of *most* darklords' power, from supernatural means such as Darkon's memories or Bluebeard's amnesia, to things such as D'Honaire's manipulation and Ivana Boritsi's deadly reputation. Even Strahd isn't above using deception to make his people think he's actually a *descendant* in the Von Zarovich family rather than the original Strahd I. (though why he bothers is beyond me, since as of 3e rules he makes the Tarrasque look like a walk in the park...) With this in mind, Memento Mori could actually spread beyond Bluebeard's domain and Darkon, and became a Great Resistance to the Darklord's of Ravenloft!

Then again, perhaps that's a bit much... 8)
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. --Terry Pratchett
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Some thoughts on spells: The wizard founder should definately have the illusionary script spell and/or the secret page spell. The suggestion effect of ilusionary script that is normally used to deter someone from reading could be used for a positive effect. Such as "go drink the potion in the red bottle" (spiritual purgative) Also since you mentioned charm I'd also give him the suggestion spell.

And here's another good one: magic mouth. Not only can he leave messages to himself in his own voice, but anyone upon whom he casts the spell can do so himself! you can also set complictaed triggers. And use several magic mouth spells. (duratin is permanent until discharged)

VRA has Insight and Immerse Mind, which should have some interesting application , for example to show someone that you know him from before.

Someone mentioned foreign languages, what about ciphers? I'm not sure how you simulate writing in cipher in game mechanics, but deciphering them would go via decipher script (at least if you forgot your own cipher). This goes on the premise that they need to keep their messages secret, but this secrecy is probably well advised to avoid Bluebeard's hired agents and it also blends quite well with the alchemical philosophy theme imo.

Dissapearing ink is useful if coupled with clues about the restorative.

A variant rule on Memory coagulant could be helpful if it worked on living beings who have lost their memories. (This would probably not call for a powers check.) I can see this useful application of alchemy leading down to darker paths as the Wizard/Philosopher learns more powerful formulas and starts thinking about recreating his original companions. Perhaps he was in love with one of them and/or he feels guilty for their deaths. Tragedy and Dark Powers checks ensue...
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ronia Sun wrote:Indeed, if you stop and consider, mind control in one form or another is the source of *most* darklords' power, from supernatural means such as Darkon's memories or Bluebeard's amnesia, to things such as D'Honaire's manipulation and Ivana Boritsi's deadly reputation.
Absolutely. As far as expanding them beyond the current writeup, there are many possibilities. The core beliefs and principles (dogmas?) claim that the mind is the True Self, and attempts to pry into another person's thoughts are a violation on par with rape. Alteration of another's thought or will in any form would then be comparable to a horrible mutilation. With that in mind, they could make dogged allies against any of the following:

Vampires--domination gaze
Vampyres--charming bite
Ghosts/fiends--possession
Flesh golems who can change their empathic links
...and anything else that has an innate ability to charm, hympnotize or read thoughts.

IMO, though, the top of their hit list would be doppelgangers, not only because the creatures can read thoughts all the time, but because their long-practised methods will work well against doppelgangers with only minor adaptations. I can see a MM group traveling through the Core reading out loud every night from a book they all wrote a few lines in that morning. Since no one knows what the others wrote, the doppelganger will not know what to say when his turn comes--reading minds won't give him a clue.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Giamarga wrote:Some thoughts on spells: The wizard founder should definately have the illusionary script spell and/or the secret page spell. [snip] Also since you mentioned charm I'd also give him the suggestion spell.
Excellent points, but how dogmatic would they get about the inviolate-ness of the mind? Would they submit to such measures as a countermeasure?
And here's another good one: magic mouth. Not only can he leave messages to himself in his own voice, but anyone upon whom he casts the spell can do so himself! you can also set complictaed triggers. And use several magic mouth spells. (duratin is permanent until discharged)
Wow, that's incredible! But I don't quite get this part about the target of the spell being able to leave messages in his/her own voice. Isn't the target an inanimate object?
VRA has Insight and Immerse Mind, which should have some interesting application , for example to show someone that you know him from before.
Insight would be a great foundation for a low-level magic item that helped them see their clues. Immerse mind, OTOH, would tread the line like the suggestion and charm spells above; many might consider it a severe violation of innermost privacy. I don't doubt it would be useful, but I'd have to think some more about the foundation of beliefs before I agree that they'd accept it.
Someone mentioned foreign languages, what about ciphers? I'm not sure how you simulate writing in cipher in game mechanics, but deciphering them would go via decipher script (at least if you forgot your own cipher). This goes on the premise that they need to keep their messages secret, but this secrecy is probably well advised to avoid Bluebeard's hired agents and it also blends quite well with the alchemical philosophy theme imo.

Dissapearing ink is useful if coupled with clues about the restorative.
Both great ideas; the disappearing ink is probably best for new members who haven't had time to learn ciphers (i.e. haven't leveled up yet).
A variant rule on Memory coagulant could be helpful if it worked on living beings who have lost their memories. (This would probably not call for a powers check.)
Yeah, I can actually see this guy designing a few new alchamical formulae, variants on existing ones.
I can see this useful application of alchemy leading down to darker paths as the Wizard/Philosopher learns more powerful formulas and starts thinking about recreating his original companions. Perhaps he was in love with one of them and/or he feels guilty for their deaths. Tragedy and Dark Powers checks ensue...
Of course, there's always that potential in RL. :twisted:
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

DeepShadow wrote:
The Giamarga wrote:Some thoughts on spells: The wizard founder should definately have the illusionary script spell and/or the secret page spell. [snip] Also since you mentioned charm I'd also give him the suggestion spell.
Excellent points, but how dogmatic would they get about the inviolate-ness of the mind? Would they submit to such measures as a countermeasure?
Maybe members would only learn charm-type effects for counterspelling purposes. Spellcasters who control others' minds the old-fashioned way would certainly be on their enemies-list, too.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Just FYI: when the Zherisia Survey finally comes out, there've been some recent technological developments in Paridon which the MM might find of particular interest, when it comes to creating trustworthy memory-keys. (Say "Cheese"! :wink: )
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

DeepShadow wrote:
Wow, that's incredible! But I don't quite get this part about the target of the spell being able to leave messages in his/her own voice. Isn't the target an inanimate object?
Ah yes, i misread the spell description's Target: One creature or object and thought it would imbue a person to record a magic mouth. But the description clears that up: This spell imbues the chosen object or creature with an enchanted mouth that suddenly appears and speaks its message the next time a specified event occurs. Just how weird is it to cast this spell upon a person anyways ?!?

I got my inspiration from the old TSR novel Pool of Radiance btw where an apprentice is sent on her way by several magic mouths that her recently deceased master left her.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

So how big is this society approximately? Blaustein is not very big to begin with...