Other d20 stuff you'd like to see in Ravenloft?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Other d20 stuff you'd like to see in Ravenloft?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Over the years, I've seen many tweaks added from DMs to their Ravenloft games.

Just wondering, what concepts or ideas from books from other companies than WotC did you insert in your campaign?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

There's a book called "The Book of Unremitting Horror" by Pelgrane Press which, whilst not really applicable to Ravenloft, could work for a Masque Now game.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Big Bad Jack
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Big Bad Jack »

I'm rather certain I'll be using the Vitality/Wounds system from Star Wars d20 in any future Ravenloft games.
[i]Formerly [b]The Watcher in the Woods[/b][/i]

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built."
-- Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic II
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I got Heroes of Horror this Christmas, and I tinker with the Taint system therein. Also, I've already applied the madness variations from there into my game... :twisted:
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

A lot of people would agree that the Alignment system is a square peg in Ravenloft's round hole. Especially when it comes to more controversial characters.

The Palladium (sp?) system introduced alignements not by a matter of good or evil but more by personalities. Instead they would use terms such as 'Anarchist' or 'Passivist', and not break things into good or evil. Some people would argue that the palladium alignments each had their own Dnd equivalent, but such arguements are usually spawned from arrogence from DnD being the 'superior system'.

I'd like to see Alignments broken up into a much less linear fashion, perhaps with multiple different axes, none of which being 'good' or 'evil'. From there, spells and abilities that deal with alignements could instead deal with taint, and Desdichado suggested.

Some Ideas:

Anarchist (change and freedom over stability)
Conservative (stability and tradition over change)
Passivist ('Be passers by', mind your own business)
Deontologist (means justifies the ends)
Ultilitarian (ends justifies the means)
Egoist ('Good' doesn't exist, because deep down inside everyone is just serving themself)
Divine Command Believer(obey the command of a deity, justification of the doctrine need not be defended).
Compassionist If it feels right, then it is right.

Those are just a couple, some of which are taken directly from Palladium. Likewise, I'm sure some people can already see where certain characters fall into (Mordenheim=Utilitarian, Gabrielle=Compassionist)

Question for the Mods: would you mind if I went ahead and made a topic for this idea? While writing it I realized that it was inheirently a better topic discussed out and open.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Libris Mortis feats and prestige class, Heroes of horror core classes, spells and feats readily come to mind.

Some Wheel of Time rules and feats, some Unearthed Arcana rules and feats come to mind next.

My final addition was a modified influence system based on a game that I don't have but I have seen the original idea in the D20 boards, I liked it and played a bit with it.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I use a lot from WotC. Some Unearthed Arcana, a little Manual of the Planes, spells and monsters from Magic of Faerun and Monsters of Faerun, a few things from BoVD. Also of great use was Traps & Treachery I & II. I've been meaning to use a few creatures from Creature Collection I& II, but haven't found a spot for them yet.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
order99
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by order99 »

One word...Incantations. Strange,powerful and unpredictable ritual magics that anyone can attempt to use-the key word being ATTEMPT. :twisted: Really key in past Masque of the Red Death game, even if I had to port them to my Boxed Set 2nd ed. rules...
"And did she ever come out?"
"Not Yet".
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

Okay, I might be reading too much into this, but does this mean we've had some (good) news about whether d20 OGLed stuff can be used in Ravenloft now the rights have reverted back to Wizards? Or am I reading far too much into this topic? :)
Joël of the FoS

I didn't think of it this way, but indeed it opens the possibility. We'll have to see how to work it out, since the FoS members do not have all the d20 books released by other companies then WotC.

And we have to assume the reader either.

So I do not know yet how it could work, if it is allowed.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Let's see what comes to mind...

From Unearthed Arcana: Hide and Move Silent. have been merged into the Sneak skill.

My MotRD game: I have been inspired by "When the Sky Falls" from Malhavoc Press again. Nothing like throwing a huge meteorite on Halifax (Canada) to spice up the game!

And I plan to incorporate "Requiem for a God" (Malhavoc Press) into RL at one point. My dilemma: Which god should die? (You are all welcomed to give me your opinions!)

Patrick
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Some useful WotC manuals (such as Frostburn, Sandstorm...) entered my game, but, since untranslated d20 products are hard-to-get here (and quite pricy ^_^), I never had the chance to use anything else.
Mainly...
Hmmm...

I had the chance to translate, some months ago, some books for the Kalamar setting, and I found some useful things, such as the black plague, some poisons, feats and spells (one of my players made good use, in the last campaign, of a seemingly useless spell, one that unearth objects you know are under earth).
I liked Monsters of Tellene too, and I even compiled a list of the monsters from that manual that can be found in the Demiplane (anyone of the FoS interested in the list, along with a review? :)).

I do not use Heroes of Horror. I usually pick it up with padded gloves.
And I plan to incorporate "Requiem for a God" (Malhavoc Press) into RL at one point. My dilemma: Which god should die? (You are all welcomed to give me your opinions!)
Hmmm...
I always thought the gods were ALREADY dead. The Dark Powers were answering to the mortals in place of them...
Anyway, I think the death (or rather: silence) of the Lawgiver would have some serious repercussions on the Demiplane.
Without the Lawgiver, the balance of Hazlan and Nova Vaasa would be seriously upset: time for a Rashemani revolt? Or a civil-war-ridden Nova Vaasa? ;)
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Joël of the FoS

Jakob wrote:(anyone of the FoS interested in the list, along with a review? :)).
Sure, we're always interested to see what you added to your game. A review of this made with Ravenloft in mind is very useful.

Joël