Ivan Szimin... again

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ivan Szimin... again

Post by Ail »

Hi there,

as I have said in several threads now, I have put my PCs against the Effigy of Ivan Szimin. Yesterday was the first direct confrontation, and the golem kind of disappointed me a little. Ok, I rolled low, and now I find I may have forgotten to add the strength bonus to his attacks. That would have made the PCs quit much sooner than they thought.
But at any rate, the Golem got hit once, and I was pondering golem healing. Most golems have some kind of energy which kind of recharges them. Flesh golems tend to do it with electricity, for example. But Ivan Szimin is a special case. Water would not make sense, and in a similar tone I declared cold attacks also damage it. Fire can not be used or else it would recharge at any of ten rounds while it is burning (although thinking again, that might be an excelent way to self heal). Electricity seems wrong, because lightning is associated to storms and storms to water, which again is on the damaging side for the golem.

So, waht would you use?

Just thinking about that fire. It it were that, since it can burn for 10 rounds, 8 of which fully, let's say it could regenerate some of the wounds in the rounds 3-10. That would make it necessary for the players to really holdup for the initial 10 rounds and only start hitting it afterwards. That may become too difficult. The PC that hit it caught it flat-footed and had bless and magic weapon.

For reference, some of the stats I'm using

8HD
81hp (now 69)
Str 19 (+4)
Dex 19 (+4)

BAB: 8
AC 25: +12 natural, +4 dex, -1 size; flat-footed 21, touch 13

I've interpolated between some of the known golems in 3.5 and 2nd Edition, and then degraded most of its stats by 3/4 or 2/3 because it is made of poor materials. Stu too had degraded speed, I think, and I followed suit in most of the rest. For intstance, its total AC is 25, when initially it was 29 (degraded natural armor from 16 to 12).

I don't remember more. I have the stats at home though.

Ail
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)