Math Mothonwy

Discussing all things Ravenloft
BlackBoxGamer
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Math Mothonwy

Post by BlackBoxGamer »

I'm looking for information in regards to this deity. I've done a google search and all I seem to be coming up with are either "Welsh god of sorcery, brother of the goddess Don" or the classic Mabinogion, which doesn't help me a whole lot.

Anyone know any good D&D sources, or something a bit more helpful information-wise than the two items above?

BBG
So many differing fancies have mankind,
That they the master-sprites may spell and bind.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The best resources, as far as RL is concerned, are Gazetteer I (Forlorn section) and Gaz V (Tepest section). I believe both have stats and brief descritpions of Math and the rest of the Celtic pantheons as worshipped in those two realms.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Math was a mighty wizard who could accomplish great magicks, including transmuting various things into other things, like temporarily turning toadstools into horses and hunting dogs with jeweled bridles and golden leashes, or creating a bride, Blodeuedd, out of a mass of flowers for Lleu Llaw Gyffes. His spells sometimes go awry, though, like when it was discovered that Blodeuedd was soulless and treacherous.
One more thing: Math was geased to have his feet in the lap of a virgin, or die, unless he was to do some task or was at war.
One more thing: Go to wikipedia next time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_ap_Mathonwy
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
BlackBoxGamer
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by BlackBoxGamer »

Cool, thanks for the info. It's alot easier than trying to read through the Mabinogion for interesting points. :)

BBG
So many differing fancies have mankind,
That they the master-sprites may spell and bind.