Question About Boogeymen

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Question About Boogeymen

Post by Hell_Born »

I've just recently read Dark Tales & Disturbing Legends, and I must say it lives up to the hype. I'm especially fond of the Boogeymen, but I've just two questions:
*Are there any Netbook articles on Boogeymen, because I'm sure I've read them before?
*What are the known Boogeymen of Ravenloft?
*Where (if applicable) are their stats and what version are said stats for?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Olly
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Olly »

There's a couple in one of the old Kargatane netbooks, but they're in need of a 3.5 update.
Home is behind,
The world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread,
Through shadow,
To the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow,
Cloud and shade,
Hope shall fail,
All shall fade.
Joël of the FoS

Re: Question About Boogeymen

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Hell_Born wrote:I've just recently read Dark Tales & Disturbing Legends, and I must say it lives up to the hype. I'm especially fond of the Boogeymen, but I've just two questions:
*Are there any Netbook articles on Boogeymen, because I'm sure I've read them before??
Yes, Ryan updated and expanded his "Noises in the Night" idea from Book of Sacrifices.
*What are the known Boogeymen of Ravenloft?
*Where (if applicable) are their stats and what version are said stats for?
Before this article, I don't recall seeing any. By the way, you might consider using the cool VRGttMists rules and suggestions when using these Boogeymen.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Okay, I've found the statted Boogeymen:
*The Dirty Thing, Basket Case and the Elf-Knight in QTR #11
*The Scissorman, Fanton Griswold and The Gentlemen from Book of Sacrifices
*Madame & Monsieur Croquemitaine, Alligator Lenny and The Bad Thing from Book of Sacrifices and later Dark Tales & Disturbing Legends
*Mister Fox from Dark Tales * Disturbing Legends

The ones from DT&DL are 3.5 ed, all others are 3rd ed.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

Olly
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Olly »

If it's not too much trouble, could we get a 3.5 upgrade for the old bogeymen from someone?
Home is behind,
The world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread,
Through shadow,
To the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow,
Cloud and shade,
Hope shall fail,
All shall fade.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Where are each of these bogeymen located? All across the core? Souragne only? If the latter the 3.5 updates should be included in the Souragne project.
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Pretty much anywhere across the core as far as I know, except the Elf-knight: that boogeyman only haunts Tepest.

Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

The Giamarga wrote:Where are each of these bogeymen located? All across the core? Souragne only? If the latter the 3.5 updates should be included in the Souragne project.
Bogeymen can go anywhere their story is know. They aren't limited by geography like darklords. They can go from Sourgane to Paridon, then to Darkon before a quick jaunt to Barovia, hopping to the new place without going through the space between. At the same time, if town B has never heard the tale, they can never go there, even if town A ten minutes walk away has been terrorized for years.

Of course, they can be limited by their stories, only able to go after certain prey in certain places at certain times.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Which is why the Elf-knight is only found in Tepest; it's story has never spread beyond that benighted land and would never receive any of the respect/usage it sees in Tepest if it did. The Elf-Knight is an embodiement of the Tepestani fear of all things 'fey' and 'unhuman', with a little "they want our women!" thrown into the mix.

But given Souragne's position, it's hard to tell what Boogeymen might and might not have reached it, plus the fact that Souragne is slightly different in environ to that preferred by some Boogeymen (Alligator Lenny haunts sewers and storm drains, and there are none in Souragne). For Boogeymen of Souragne, I'd recommend using the Boogeyman template (from either QTR #11 or DT&DL) and whip up some unique ones suited for a swamp land. A Real-Life boogeyman that might serve as an example is Granny Greenteeth (an amphibious Greenhag).