WHITE WOLF'S BEEN HACKED! Read now!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Keith Senkowski wrote:He has said in the past that the hackers in the US and most of the Western world are pretty easy for them to get a handle on. It is the ones outside that sphere of influence that things get sticky.

Keith
Oh, sounds a lot like the Nigerian phone scam.
Thankyou for the insight.

Do you think that the FBI would spend the man-hours needed to track these guys? Is this a big enough crime to warrent the investigation necessary to identify the hackers?
Evil Reigns!!!!
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Hey everyone,

uh, What happened?

Become Isolated from the frat because your TA's really are a bunch of blood sucking creatures of the night, and you come back to find out that someone nabbed WW. Intresting.

See, it's moments like this that reinforce my belief in Karma. Give up on one of the greatest campaign settings out there; get your website hacked. Ok, maybe that's a bit harsh, since they had to make a judgment call. But it would be funny if the hacker was some bitter, misdirected RL player annoyed by the WW.

My only wish is that the Dark Powers have something in store for the Wizards website as well :twisted:. Now that would be pure Karma.
Glim
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Glim »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Do you think that the FBI would spend the man-hours needed to track these guys? Is this a big enough crime to warrent the investigation necessary to identify the hackers?
What do you think? How many companies get hacked each day? And if I'm not mistaken, all US-based comps. are supposed to contact the FBI about it. And the FBi will file it, then dump in the big box of petty crimes and see if it comes out later on should they accidentally arrest the guy.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I googled the topic when it first came up, it is apparently quite a 'growth industry'. I do believe as do others that there may be a difference between groups that actually obtain customer data, and those that just claim to have it for extortion purposes.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Keith Senkowski
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Keith Senkowski »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Oh, sounds a lot like the Nigerian phone scam.
Thankyou for the insight.

Do you think that the FBI would spend the man-hours needed to track these guys? Is this a big enough crime to warrent the investigation necessary to identify the hackers?
Now I am not too sure. It depends on the damage usually. Kinda like fraud, they have set minimums (in fraud it is I believe $10,000) before they take action. If no credit card information was swiped, they will likely not put a lot of resources towards it. However, because I believe they are trying to blackmail WW, that may put it higher on the list.

Computer crimes are happening constantly and there are so many man hours that can be put towards it. So, unfortunately, like the one other person said already, they likely won't pursue the matter too much.

Keith
[url=http://www.bobgoat.com/conspiracy/]Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition[/url]
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel