WHITE WOLF'S BEEN HACKED! Read now!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Desdichado wrote:Now, I am not really into those things, but I received a mail containing the following:

After the server white-wolf.com has been hacked, admins have refused "to thank" us.
U can buy database white-wolf.com for 10 $.
In base 65000 accounts with mails, icq, msn, personal data of users.
New page for details & contact http://scharniertheater.de/form.php

Now, the person behind this page has this adress:
scharniertheater

kontakt:
ralf-peter post
klaus-müller-kilian-weg 1
30167 hannover

fon: ++49 511 716427

email: post@scharniertheater.de
impressum
:shock: :shock: :shock:
That's very near to where I live! I even got the same ZIP code!
I think I'll be checking this place out sometime. If you don't hear back from me in ... say 3 days... send out the search teams :-)
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scipion_Emilien »

Samael (Jason A.) wrote:This is a bit conspiracy-theory-long-time-rpg-player of me, but what if these guys never hacked the WW site, just got a hold of the mailing list and made up the story to try and make a fast buck (and to scare people)?

Good idea for a Ravenloft storyline now that I think about it...
I fail to see how destroying the trust customer can put into their online shop help them. I never bought online because I am scare of the online shopping, my first experience was at white-wolf where i register the week before the incident and now i learn that are hack.

I think ill stick to game store even if this cost a little more...

Edit: I just receive the same e-mail that desdichado had without the civic adress.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Scipion_Emilien wrote:I fail to see how destroying the trust customer can put into their online shop help them.
I don't think he's saying that WW is behind the conspiracy - I think he's saying that the Hackers didn't hack anything - they ahold of the mailing list and are bluffing about having the information.
Theoretically, they would get the money before they have to prove possession of the data.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Oups sorry, I was so concern that someone else could hack my e-mail that i read rapidly the sentence, you are right about his meaning.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

We will wait Giamagra return from his adventure in the unholy crypt of the cyber-bandits.

I would like to stress that this adventure is for low-level chars (unless the hackers have cyber-golems or terminator Cyborgs) but Giamagra will probably do this solo, so he isn't cheating.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

The Giamarga wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:
That's very near to where I live! I even got the same ZIP code!
I think I'll be checking this place out sometime. If you don't hear back from me in ... say 3 days... send out the search teams :-)
Actually, my first thought was that it could be you... :wink:
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Right :? I wish i had such hacking skills. Would make applying for jobs in the IT business much easier.

First research through mysterious Divining and Lore skills (google and map24.de) reveal that that theater is on the Sprengel-Grounds hereabouts, where a small-time art house movie theater and other artistic studios are located. Perhaps a conjunction of Scaena with the real world?
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Sprengel Grounds...

A good name for a maze of terror, don't you think? :)

I posted this over at WW, let's look what they do about it...

Haven't got any more emails by that hackers, though...
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I visit WW forum, it seem that hacker try to show to you that this mail come from your own mailbox.

I find it odd too that when i send to myself mail, they usually not end into the spam box like this one.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Scipion_Emilien wrote:I visit WW forum, it seem that hacker try to show to you that this mail come from your own mailbox.
It seems to be easy to manipulate code to "show" yourself as the sender, or take a random name in your email address list, to make it look like a friend sent it to you.

Ah, genius put to good uses.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

I've received four "suggestions" so far that I send them $10 to buy the WW database. All of them were masked with my work (?) e-mail account, but a more likely source was imbedded in details file.

I wonder if I should sign them up for a few dozen e-mailing lists?
Message-Id: < E1EnOKA-00028x-PS@falcon.dnsvs.net >
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:45:14 -0500
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - falcon.dnsvs.net
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - eshd.org
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 32756] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - falcon.dnsvs.net
X-Source:
X-Source-Args: /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
X-Source-Dir: /home2/gandalf4/public_html
X-Spam: [F=0.2391965836; heur=0.780(3100); stat=0.081; spamtraq-heur=0.500(2005121603)]
X-MAIL-FROM: < nobody@falcon.dnsvs.net >
X-SOURCE-IP: [63.247.85.58]
X-Loop-Detect:1
X-DistLoop-Detect:1

After the server white-wolf.com has been hacked admins have refused "to thank" us.
We suggest you to buy database white-wolf.com all for 10 $.
In base of 65000 accounts with mails, icq, msn, personal data of users.
Mail for details whtwlfx@yahoo.com
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
ScS of the Fraternity

Doubtful.

No matter how stupid or ameturish these "Hackers" might be, I'm sure their not so stupid as to use an email address that they actually use.
The server address might possibly be a means of tracking them, but that address is clearly not a real address - no one could ever remember it!

I wonder why these guys haven't been caught yet? Surely if the FBI was investigating they could have tracked the source server of the emails, and from thense so on and so on until they get to the computer of the supposed Hackers.
Evil Reigns!!!!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

And since we all know that is how FBI would work, the hackers knew that as well and took the necessary precautions.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ScS of the Fraternity

Though to be honest, I don't know the FBI works that way.
[Looks down at his shoes]
I was just guessing....
Evil Reigns!!!!
Keith Senkowski
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Keith Senkowski »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Doubtful.

No matter how stupid or ameturish these "Hackers" might be, I'm sure their not so stupid as to use an email address that they actually use.
The server address might possibly be a means of tracking them, but that address is clearly not a real address - no one could ever remember it!

I wonder why these guys haven't been caught yet? Surely if the FBI was investigating they could have tracked the source server of the emails, and from thense so on and so on until they get to the computer of the supposed Hackers.
If I can offer my own little bit of knowledge about the FBI computer crimes division. I know a gentleman who works for them out of Chicago and there are often issues with hackers of international origin. Usually it is lack of real follow up or aid from the police force in other countries, but also treaties or lack there of can be a problem. He has said in the past that the hackers in the US and most of the Western world are pretty easy for them to get a handle on. It is the ones outside that sphere of influence that things get sticky.

Keith
[url=http://www.bobgoat.com/conspiracy/]Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition[/url]
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel