Policy of translations

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Vannax
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Policy of translations

Post by Vannax »

I agree - it´s a good idea to publish a „Policy of translation“ on your sites. Anyway it would be better (from my point of view) either to add a authos´s note of translation and republishing rights directly to the concrete stuff, or to supplemet this „Policy … “ with a „List Of Authors“ that generally agree with translating and re-publishing their stuff in other languages.
Otherwise it could be a little bit problem some time later to contact authors, because some e-mail addresses of authors needn´t be valid forever. (As it happened in case of Books of S.. )
Joël of the FoS

Re: Policy of translations

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Vannax wrote:I agree - it´s a good idea to publish a „Policy of translation“ on your sites. Anyway it would be better (from my point of view) either to add a authos´s note of translation and republishing rights directly to the concrete stuff, or to supplemet this „Policy … “ with a „List Of Authors“ that generally agree with translating and re-publishing their stuff in other languages.
Not sure we can do that, as authors might agree on a case by case. You can't ask authors to give the right to translation without any reguard as to where/whom, and for a period of time like "forever" :)
Otherwise it could be a little bit problem some time later to contact authors, because some e-mail addresses of authors needn´t be valid forever. (As it happened in case of Books of S.. )
It sure is a problem, especially with older authors. But the FoS can help in many cases to locate a person. I did it recently with a group wishing to translate to Italian our articles.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Vannax
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Policy of translations

Post by Vannax »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:Not sure we can do that, as authors might agree on a case by case. You can't ask authors to give the right to translation without any reguard as to where/whom, and for a period of time like "forever" :)
Anyway there can be some authors (of course I don´t expect all of them)which could offer these rights either without any limitation or they can state for example "I permit to translate all my articles and re-publish them to any language except for french, spanish and russian." or anything like this....