Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rhyme clues for your campaign and Montarri/Ubel question

Post by The Giamarga »

http://www.roleplayingtips.com/readissue.php?number=289

Check out "3. A Queen Infernal" on that page, esp the authors notes:
This one actually comes from Ravenloft villain Jacqueline Montarri who, in turn, I'm sure is based on a short story I remember reading when I was a kid (which was back in the 70's, so I know the short story is the original). In the story, a husband marries a woman with a yellow ribbon tied around her neck, which she warns him never to remove.
Eventually, his curiosity gets the better of him, and he removes it while she's asleep, only to have her head roll of the bed crying out, "I told you not to remove it...."
So is Jaqueline Montarri the killer that Ratik Ubel is hunting? Did she change the yellow scarf for a red ribbon after the deed?
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

I doubt it. The red ribbon was wrapped around her neck when her curse came into effect.

But if you want her to be the killer, she could have been wearing yellow at the time.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Not to mention he has been killed in Darkon and he wasn't particularly pretty... :)

Ravenloft comes hard on vanity these days!
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Especially when the Telling Man is around :)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

It's not only the telling man and J.Montari. Look at the porcelain lady for example...
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Rhyme clues for your campaign and Montarri/Ubel question

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

The Giamarga wrote:http://www.roleplayingtips.com/readissue.php?number=289

Check out "3. A Queen Infernal" on that page, esp the authors notes:
This one actually comes from Ravenloft villain Jacqueline Montarri who, in turn, I'm sure is based on a short story I remember reading when I was a kid (which was back in the 70's, so I know the short story is the original). In the story, a husband marries a woman with a yellow ribbon tied around her neck, which she warns him never to remove.
Eventually, his curiosity gets the better of him, and he removes it while she's asleep, only to have her head roll of the bed crying out, "I told you not to remove it...."
So is Jaqueline Montarri the killer that Ratik Ubel is hunting? Did she change the yellow scarf for a red ribbon after the deed?
The author is simply mistaken; first, this story (from the anthology Long After Midnight) features a woman with a black ribbon. While this may have been incorporated into Montarri, most if not all of the inspiration came from a character in the Land of Oz series who...wait for it...chopped off girls heads to replace her own, so that she could live forever.

In the movie she's named "Mombi," but in the books she goes by another name, can't recall right now.

HOWEVER, as to whether Montarri is Ubel's murderer, it's possible. IIRC she often covers her ribbon with scarves, etc. so that this one feature isn't recognizable from one form to another. Really, there aren't enough details to be so sure about Ubel's killer. We know he saw yellow, perhaps a scarf; he thinks it must have been a rogue; the killer is still walking around somewhere; that narrows it down to any number of high-level rogues.

The biggest missing detail is motive, and in that regard, it seems the authors have left it open for DM's to insert their own characters.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home