Ghost's malevolence attack

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mad Skipper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mad Skipper »

Rotipher wrote:Unfortunately, I'm not sure this is something we can accurately apply to interpreting ghosts' abilities in general. This sounds far more like one of Tristen's powers as a darklord -- even the special quality's name is exactly the same as we find in other darklords whose spirits migrate to another host-body upon defeat, like Hazlik or Harkon Lukas, IIRC -- than as a ghostly power inherent in his (already unique) creature-type.
While this is true, it can also be true that a ghost (of any rank) also possesses an Undying Soul, by nature of existence. Literally speaking. But when it comes to mechanically applying this particular SQ, I'd use it sparingly, and only on higher-ranked ghosts.

Final Rest (Van Richten's Arsenal, page 125) still applies to the ghost of course, as it does each and every Dark Lord, in their own unique way.

Like I said, it's just an alternative to a merging of souls (the Malevolence SA). A scary alternative indeed...

One-up the ghost! :twisted:
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mad Skipper wrote:
"This power is handled as per the description of the 5th-level wizard spell, magic jar (in the Player's Handbook), though with special conditions. A ghost with this ability can freely target a specific individual for attack, unlike a mage casting the magic jar spell. Further, the range at which this power can be employed is 20 feet per magnitude of the ghost. Thus, a third magnitude ghost can attempt to inhabit a victim's body from up to 60 feet away.
Thanks. :) I was refering to the power that went IIRC like that:

1) inhabit dead
2) inhabit unconsious people
3) inhabit sleeping people
4) inhabit ?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mad Skipper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mad Skipper »

alhoon wrote:Thanks. :) I was referring to the power that went IIRC like that:

1) inhabit dead
2) inhabit unconscious people
3) inhabit sleeping people
4) inhabit ?
4) Inhabit people waiting on their toast?

:lol:

:)