I'm confused... can anybody clarify something?...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

So a full wand would keep them alive for 50/4= 12 *7 minutes = 1 hour and 14 minutes. :)

And it costs 4*7*750= 21000 gold pieces. Not that smart thought IMO for the party. Death ward is a very good spell, very useful.
As a player I would prefer to use the duration to secure some amaranth so that I could have some more time in Necropolis.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

alhoon wrote:So a full wand would keep them alive for 50/4= 12 *7 minutes = 1 hour and 14 minutes. :)

And it costs 4*7*750= 21000 gold pieces. Not that smart thought IMO for the party. Death ward is a very good spell, very useful.
A lot can happen in an hour, or even half an hour. I've got 27th level characters in Reckonings currently agonizing over all that can happen in about ten minutes.

A party that can afford a wand of death ward can probably enhance their speed somehow. Dimension door and teleportation--even kept to line of sight to avoid mishaps--can have you zipping around Necropolis like nobody's business. Use fly or levitate to enhance these effects, and you've got a lot happening in one minute:

(Party has precast levitate and expeditious retreat on everyone, then uses the wand.)
Round 1: Teleport into the sky over Necropolis (line of sight; off target isn't a big deal, so there's only a 3% chance of anything bad)
Rounds 2-3: Study the area below and figure out where the University of Il Aluk is.
Round 4: Teleport close to the University, using a spyglass to choose and study the very best spot.
Round 5: Find a balcony, cancel levitation
Round 6-9: Dash to the desired room, grab all the loot/records you can find.
Round 10: Teleport back out.

Sure, it's far from foolproof, but that was all crammed into a single minute! That leaves you an extra six minutes (60 rounds!) to handle stuff that gets in your way. And that's with only one round of charges from the wand. Fly or overland flight instead of levitate could help out a lot, while dimension door instead of teleport could reduce risking a 3% chance for a short trip (800' or less).

While you're in the sky, you only need to worry about the undead that can fly, and most of them are level-drainers who can't hurt you anyway.

Wow. Sounds like a grand adventure. I might just have to send my epics there! :twisted:
As a player I would prefer to use the duration to secure some amaranth so that I could have some more time in Necropolis.
As a player, sure. Does your PC know about amaranth? :wink: Frankly, as a player, I'd rather not go into Necropolis, if it's all the same to you. :roll:
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I daresay you're getting a bit too used to thinking like an epic. :) Few RL characters have easy access to teleport. But Haste, Expeditious Retreat, and Longstrider, sure. Making that a wand of extended death ward might help too.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Good plan but just make dang sure you don't fly over any undead mages with dispel magic or you are FUBAR.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

gonzoron wrote:Few RL characters have easy access to teleport. But Haste, Expeditious Retreat, and Longstrider, sure. Making that a wand of extended death ward might help too.

Few RL characters have access to Necropolis too :). And IMO, teleport is easier to have than a wand of Death Ward.
And you can only make a staff of extended death ward as it is considered 5th level spell.
Jasper wrote:Good plan but just make dang sure you don't fly over any undead mages with dispel magic or you are FUBAR.
What is a FUBAR?
Does it contain the word Undead in it?
And I was also going to express the same concern about the dispel magic spell...
DeepShadow wrote:
As a player, sure. Does your PC know about amaranth? :wink: Frankly, as a player, I'd rather not go into Necropolis, if it's all the same to you. :roll:
Mmm... No to both questions :oops:
But my PCs probably not know if death ward would work at all... :roll:
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

alhoon wrote:
What is a FUBAR?
Does it contain the word Undead in it?
And I was also going to express the same concern about the dispel magic spell...
The F is something we're not allowed to type, then it's Up Beyond All Recognition.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

alhoon wrote: What is a FUBAR?
It means <thinks>... Fouled up beyond all recognition! :D
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Sure, why not.

By the by, Fouled itself is an anacronym - invented by those rascally english at Scotland Yard. Whenever they caught a couple in lewd public acts, they refered to it as

Filed
Under
Carnal
Knowledge

In any case, someone trying to loot the University would be very, very Filed.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Mad Skipper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mad Skipper »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Sure, why not.

By the by, Fouled itself is an anacronym - invented by those rascally english at Scotland Yard. Whenever they caught a couple in lewd public acts, they refered to it as

Filed
Under
Carnal
Knowledge

Hasn't that (and its F-word alternatives) been deemed "false etymology"?

Also, I've always understood it to be For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge...isn't it funny how some things become chinese whispered*?

* = An old game played in elementary school where one student repeats a message to another, and so on down the line, until the last student in the class repeats the invariably misinterpreted message out loud. This was before people got crucified for not being politically correct...
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Filed
Under
Carnal
Knowledge

Actually, it's For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, and that's an Urban myth, sorry. Check Snopes for more information. WARNING: Bad language through the link, click at own peril.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:

Filed
Under
Carnal
Knowledge

Actually, it's For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, and that's an Urban myth, sorry. Check Snopes for more information. WARNING: Bad language through the link, click at own peril.
I have a feeling ScS was pulling your legs. I might be wrong, but hey...

And yes, it is an urban myth. The word derives from a Angle word, if I remember my etymologies correctly.