I'm confused... can anybody clarify something?...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I'm confused... can anybody clarify something?...

Post by Boccaccio Barbarossa »

I was wondering about something that seems unclear in the RLPHB.

The entry, on p. 115 of the RLPHB says this about the protection from energy spell:

"Ravenloft insulates undead creatures from the influence of other planes. thus, the attacking undead creature suffers only 1d6 points of damage from positive energy, and if it succeeds at a Fortitude save, it takes no damage from the spell at all."

What does this have to do with anything? :?

It sould to me like this is the description of what should happen when an undead creature interacts with the Negative Plane Protection spell, which is a 3e spell : it is nowhere to be found in 3.5e PHB.

So, what gives? Are we to take it that you can use protection from energy to defend against Negative energy damage, even though the spell itself only offers up acid, cold, electricity, fire and sonic as vaible options?... or are we to assume that Negative Plane Protection was not supposed to be removed from the 3.5 e PHB?

I checked the errata on the site here, for RLPHB, but found nothing. I checked the WotC errata for any mention of oitted spells in the PHB and found nothing...

Can anybody help?
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/
artent
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by artent »

Ravenloft was not published by wizards. It's likely just a copy paste error from the 3.0 ravenloft campaign setting book. Ignore it.
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

artent wrote:Ravenloft was not published by wizards. It's likely just a copy paste error from the 3.0 ravenloft campaign setting book. Ignore it.
With regards to the protection from energy, yeah... but is Negative Energy Protection still out there? (I mean, I'm sure you can keep it around if you want, but did it ever make it in 3.5e)
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: I'm confused... can anybody clarify something?...

Post by Mangrum »

Boccaccio Barbarossa wrote:It sould to me like this is the description of what should happen when an undead creature interacts with the Negative Plane Protection spell, which is a 3e spell : it is nowhere to be found in 3.5e PHB.

So, what gives?
In the 3.0 Ravenloft Campaign Setting, the description you quote is indeed for the negative energy protection spell. None of the actual energy resistance spells are listed, which means (as should also be the case in 3.5) that Ravenloft does not alter them (aside from having them fail against closed domain border effects).

What you quote appears to be a shoddy, inattentive attempt to update the rules to 3.5. Shocked, shocked I am, to hear of it.
Mortepierre
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Mortepierre »

Boccaccio Barbarossa wrote:With regards to the protection from energy, yeah... but is Negative Energy Protection still out there? (I mean, I'm sure you can keep it around if you want, but did it ever make it in 3.5e)
Sort of. Libris Mortis has it as the "Protection from Negative/Positive Energy" spell. It doesn't work at all like the previous version though.
[b]Mortepierre Malepeste[/b]
[i]Dwarven Necro.. er .. Student of Anatomy[/i]
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

well, it seems right that my character should have it, and it is a rather, well, it's a crappy spell, in a way - short duration and not guranteed to work... but I should have it as a cleric of the morninglord so I'm sure my DM will not object to me adding it to the list. ;)

Thanks anyways.

Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

What you are looking for is Death Ward. p. 217, D&D PHB 3.5

It makes you immune to death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, etc. I could go on, but it's in the book.

This spell basically replaced the 'ol Negative Energy Protection spell in 2nd edition.

It was via this spell that my party was able to visit the Necropolis, by the way. Yep. I know I'm going to get flames started on this one. Keep in mind that the party I was running could walk into the Necropolis with a death ward spell up, but they could not cross into or out of the city if the borders were closed.

Discuss amongst yourseves.
BlackBoxGamer
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by BlackBoxGamer »

It was via this spell that my party was able to visit the Necropolis, by the way. Yep. I know I'm going to get flames started on this one. Keep in mind that the party I was running could walk into the Necropolis with a death ward spell up, but they could not cross into or out of the city if the borders were closed.
Not a flame, but... Did they have a wand of Death Ward or something? I mean, the spell only lasts for 1 min/caster level. So what was the deal? Were they high level, or just come across a magic item(s) with Death Ward in it?

Just curious.

BBG
So many differing fancies have mankind,
That they the master-sprites may spell and bind.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Sounds like a great way to scare your players, if their PCs cross into the Shroud using Death Ward to protect themselves ... and then discover the border has closed (Death's, Azalin's, or even both at once) when they try to leave. Suddenly, the whole party's survival hinges on getting the heck out of there, before the spell's all-too-brief duration expires! :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

BlackBoxGamer wrote:
Rucht Lilavivat wrote:It was via this spell that my party was able to visit the Necropolis, by the way. Yep. I know I'm going to get flames started on this one. Keep in mind that the party I was running could walk into the Necropolis with a death ward spell up, but they could not cross into or out of the city if the borders were closed.
Not a flame, but... Did they have a wand of Death Ward or something? I mean, the spell only lasts for 1 min/caster level. So what was the deal? Were they high level, or just come across a magic item(s) with Death Ward in it?

Just curious.

BBG
In the RL:DMG there is an Amulet of Death Ward (p. 206) which would do it.
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: I'm confused... can anybody clarify something?...

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Mangrum wrote:What you quote appears to be a shoddy, inattentive attempt to update the rules to 3.5. Shocked, shocked I am, to hear of it.
My monitor nearly broke because of that sarcasm... :)
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
BlackBoxGamer
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by BlackBoxGamer »

In the RL:DMG there is an Amulet of Death Ward (p. 206) which would do it.
Actually, strictly speaking, it would not protect an individual from the effects of the Shroud. If you look at the description it reads "The wearer is immune to all death spells and magical death effects. The spell* does not protect against other sorts of attacks, such as hit point loss, poison, petrification or other effects even if they might be lethal. Using this item does not force a powers check."

*I noticed that it appears to refer to the item as a spell.

The Shroud is not a death effect, it is a level drain effect. And it is also unclear whether the Shroud is a spell-like, supernatural or extraordinary effect. If it is either of the first two, then an anti-magic spell could, theoretically, allow one egress into Necropolis without the level drain. But an Amulet of Death Ward, as written, would not protect a person from the level drain.

Granted, a DM could just drive their Fiat over this little quibble and say it does, but I just thought I'd point out that according to the description, it does not.

:)

Or, if the author of this item is on these boards perhaps they could clarify what sorts of protection they were going for when they wrote up the description of this item.

So Rucht, how did your players get into (and out of) Necropolis safely?
So many differing fancies have mankind,
That they the master-sprites may spell and bind.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I don't think that a death ward would work in canon.

IMC I use that too but still few people risk 7 minutes in necropolis ... It is like 3 minutes to go to your destination, 3 minutes to return and 1 minute to do your job.
Not much good IMO.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rucht Lilavivat wrote:What you are looking for is Death Ward. p. 217, D&D PHB 3.5

It makes you immune to death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, etc. I could go on, but it's in the book.

This spell basically replaced the 'ol Negative Energy Protection spell in 2nd edition.

Discuss amongst yourseves.
You're right. That is absolutely what I was looking for. I can't see how I missed it... Oh well, no biggie. It seems the topic has branched out into somethign else by now anyways. ;)

Thanks! (John Mangrum's sacrcarm caused me bodily harm... and I also lost power for 24 hours in my house... I wonder if the evenets are related. :shock: )

Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

In my campaign, the party was exploring the Necropolis with...you guess it...a wand of death ward. It was interesting because about every 7 minutes, everyone had to get popped with the wand. Which also meant that every 7 minutes, the wand would lose 4 charges.

It made for an interesting adventure. There was always something luring the party deeper into the Necropolis, but they didn't have the time to explore as much as they want. The tension of, "we have to find this" mixed with, "we have to get out of here" was fun to play with.