Valachan and real world counterpart

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Aside on the use of "negro"-- AFAIK it's not racist, but it is seen as quaint at best (much like colored, though the NAACP and the United Negro College Fund have kept their original name). I'd like to think that context would show that there was no racist intent, but then again this IS the Internet. :roll:

Anyway, back to Valachan: I'm inclined to think that its culture-- certainly its climate and the appearance of the natives-- is closer to northwestern North American Indian tribes than to African cultures, particularly the gift-giving as status, which is very similar to the potlatch.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Ryan Naylor has said the Valachani people are based on the Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest. This would include Oregon, Washington (the state), and parts of Canada such as Vancouver. The language and some parts of the culture were said by Ryan to be "norwegian" (although I have heard from people in Denmark that Vaasi is the same as their language).

Von Kharkov is not of these people, however, so his name and (apparent) ethnicity will appear different. It is important to note, however, that his name and human appearance are both artificial, as Von Kharkov began life as a large predatory cat. He was later polymorphed into a human form by a wizard, who chose the particular human form and name for him.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Boccaccio Barbarossa »

Bluebomber4evr wrote:Ryan Naylor has said the Valachani people are based on the Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest. This would include Oregon, Washington (the state), and parts of Canada such as Vancouver. The language and some parts of the culture were said by Ryan to be "norwegian" (although I have heard from people in Denmark that Vaasi is the same as their language).

Von Kharkov is not of these people, however, so his name and (apparent) ethnicity will appear different. It is important to note, however, that his name and human appearance are both artificial, as Von Kharkov began life as a large predatory cat. He was later polymorphed into a human form by a wizard, who chose the particular human form and name for him.
The thing is with a domain like this, is that it is OBVIOUSLY real-world inspired, but unlike many of the other worlds, there is no 1 to 1 association to be made. It's a little Native American, it's a little Scandanavian, it's a little of fantasy, etc. (I haven;t read the entry in the Gaz)

having said this, I DO feel that it may benefit from a little tweeking.

I think, for the sake of sort of fitting it in with the rest of the core, picturing it like North-westerned USA/Canada works best, and you can sort of keep the dark skin (or if you prefer, you can decided their skin is darkly tanned, maybe? with a reddish tinge? Whatever you need to do. Byut then to straight black hair makes sense, if you feel that stright hair/balck skin doesn;t work. Mind you, to THAT, I would simply point to certain ethnic groups in India which are very dark-skinned and have, yup, straight hair...). Anyhow, it works well, geographically: it makes it a backwater, isolated from the rest of the core. It's surrouned by mist and forests, and the wildlife seems to fit an old-wood forest with some sharp moutains and gorges... So it works on that level.

It if the fact that they speak Vaasi seems an issue, I suggest the following: have Vaasi as the official "state-sponsored/endorsed language, and maybe invent a native tongue? Native Valachani? So, most of the merchants, etc. would speak both, with the poorer people favouring Valachani? It's an idea...

It sort of leaves the people alone to develop a culture which is markedly different form the rest of the core, with an emphasis on self-sufficiency. There may be trade with Mordenshire - with trade likely being uneven at best - perhaps the less crupulous Mordentish merchants trade old, primitive fireams to them in exchnage for furs, gold and other commodities more prized by so-called civilized realms. Most of the trading is likely small-scale anyways.

And I can't help but think that White Fever (though I know it's not the case) reminds me of the tainted blankets traded to Native Americains in an effort to weaken their populations...

last thing; I think it's pretty safe to assume here that the skin colour of the Valachani is purely cosmetic, an effort to tie them in to that panther-like quality of dark predator. but also, it's meant t have their appearance not stand entirely at odds with Von Kharkov, so it's really not a big issue to either let it satnd or change it...
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

It beats me why the skin-color of the Valachani should have to "match" that of an IRL population which just happens to have developed a similar culture to theirs. Who's to say that the potlatch-practicing cultures of the Pacific Northwest couldn't have been darker-skinned, had the first migrations that settled North America come from (say) New Guinea rather than eastern Siberia? I thought WotC'd made Ember the Monk black, and not Asiatic, as a deliberate statement that ethnicity and culture don't have to match real-life stereotypes in D&D settings. :-/

And there's nothing genetically "wrong" with pairing dark skin and straight hair in the same population. Dark skin, dark eyes and dark hair do correlate physiologically (more melanin-production), but the tightly-curled texture commonly associated with high melanin-content in IRL humans is just a fluke of biology. Certainly it's less "weird" than some of the human phenotypes seen among the Thaani of Ravenloft! And out of the vast range of possible worlds the DPs have to look to for inspiration, when designing made-up-from-scratch domains like Valachan -- how many blue-skinned arctic human cultures have their been, in the history of homebrew D&D? -- straight-haired blacks don't even rate a second look.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Hi again,

my basis for the suggestion of Valachan was, yes, the dark-skinned tone of the population (hadn't noticed anything about the hair) and the panther that Kharkov was. I thought that if Valachan was to picture the DL's personality in someway, then it might be densely populated by 'large cats', not only panthers, but leopards (well, they're technically a panther, anyway. Even the black panther has spots, only they're almost black on black) and lions. For tigers, we have Sri Raji, but we could still have them there.
And these large cats made me think of Africa, kind of Quenia, Tanzania and around there.
But most of the time, really, I can't help thinking of The Thundercats as basis for this domain...

As for the language, and that opposition between Norwegin and Danish, both languages are similar enough that a few words sampled from one could be almost form the other, I guess. It's like Portuguese and Spanish: you have entire phrases that are equal in both languages, so there's an even higher chance that a few scattered words will match.

Ail
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Don't let the presence of panthers deceive you into thinking the domain has to be Africa-related. For one thing "panthers" appear throughout the tropical world, as leopards in Africa and Asia, or as jaguars (yes, they do have melanistic forms too) in the Americas. For another, D&D settings have a long history of mixing-and-matching animals that never meet IRL except in zoos, with no regard for biogeographical realities. As a biology instructor, my personal favorite such glitch is the omnipresence of skunks, cougars, opossums, and other New World mammals in pseudo-European settings ... to say nothing of the odd deinonychus or mammoth, to boot!

In any case, lions wouldn't fit into Valachan: at least as we know them today, they're open-country animals for the most part, both in Africa and in the Gir scrublands of India. Rugged, forested terrain tends to favor the solitary archpredators that kill by ambush over group-hunting ones; even wolves tend to hunt more as loners, pairs or trios than in big packs, when the terrain doesn't favor cooperative tactics.

For Valachan's "panthers", BTW, I'd go with leopards. They're by far the scariest option among the eligible big cats, given their spooky reputation and proven talent for living on the fringes of settlements, eating peoples' watchdogs and so on. Almost like coyotes in North America, they're not afraid to come into towns, and hide themselves extremely well from would-be hunters.

If you absolutely have to include another animal to give the domain a bit of an "African" feel IYC, I'd suggest one of the small hyenas (brown or striped). They're shy, but sneaky (= spooky), and could fill the place of wolverines in your version of Valachan's ecology.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow