Choker NPC

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Olly
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Choker NPC

Post by Olly »

I have always been a fan of chokers, ever since I first set eyes on the ever so evocative picture of one lashing out with its whip-like arm in the Monster Manual, a cruel sneer etched upon its face.

I'd very much like to run a choker as a major NPC in my Ravenloft campaign, as a sort of 'unfriendly informant' type character for the PCs to interview. After all, it says in the Monster Manual that chokers are covetous and easily bribed, and it seemed like a fun idea to have a choker whose role in the campaign extended beyond being cut to ribbons by the PCs in a combat encounter... :wink:

However, I have never really given much thought as to how chokers behave in conversation or in private. And neither have WOTC, it would seem.

Basically, I'm beseeching you educated chaps and lady-chaps for any ways for me to act like a choker and how to portray one of these little rock crawlers in an interesting and clever way.

Any thoughts?
Home is behind,
The world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread,
Through shadow,
To the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow,
Cloud and shade,
Hope shall fail,
All shall fade.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I'm trying not to say it, but all I can think is Gollum.

Give it a heavy cloak, or something similar, to hide its disfigurement. Also, give it some class levels, rogue or fighter for preference.

I'd say have it constantly curled up, like it's crouching or hunched, to confuse players more. Also, for fun, have it speak with a rasping voice and refer to itself in the third person.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Olly
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Olly »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote: Give it a heavy cloak, or something similar, to hide its disfigurement. Also, give it some class levels, rogue or fighter for preference.
Class levels... That's an idea, I hadn't thought of that... :twisted:

Just one thing... What sort of weapons would a choker use? Or, for that matter, would a choker use weapons at all? I mean, physically, they don't seem to need them, but it would to me to be giving the game away too soon by having it crush its foes to death with its bare hands.
Home is behind,
The world ahead,
Through shadow,
To the edge of night,

Mist and shadow,
Cloud and shade,
Hope shall fail,
All shall fade.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

You could give it a garrote. Or a leather belt with studs on the inside, which leaves a strangulation mark similar to those of the choker's hands. The choker doesn't use it, but it occasionally shows it around as a way of explaining its way of killing people.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nathan of the Frat wrote:You could give it a garrote. Or a leather belt with studs on the inside, which leaves a strangulation mark similar to those of the choker's hands. The choker doesn't use it, but it occasionally shows it around as a way of explaining its way of killing people.
That's a bit similar to Salizaar, isn't it?
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Looking at the picture a chocker kinda looks like a burn victum. Add a few bandages and a large monk type robe and few can tell the diffrence.

You could even use the badages as his weapon- sew in a some piano wire into them and the loose bandages now become a quick garrote.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jasper wrote:Looking at the picture a chocker kinda looks like a burn victum. Add a few bandages and a large monk type robe and few can tell the diffrence.

You could even use the badages as his weapon- sew in a some piano wire into them and the loose bandages now become a quick garrote.
Ohh, I like that. Sorry, Olly, but I may be stealing this NPC...
Olly
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Olly »

No worries, Drinnik. If you do, let me know how it turns out.

I'm pleased to know that a germ of an idea in my head has sparked off so many other brilliant ideas in the heads of other people. :wink:
Home is behind,
The world ahead,
Through shadow,
To the edge of night,

Mist and shadow,
Cloud and shade,
Hope shall fail,
All shall fade.
Mortepierre
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Mortepierre »

Remember that this creature size is S and its weight is around 35 lbs, so you'll have a hard time disguising it as a human (or even a dwarf). A gnome or a halfling now, that's a different story.. but given how racist most humans are in RL, I can't really see it existing for a long time outside Darkon (which brings us back to Salizaar...).

Although.. I suppose it could pass for a (albeit very small) caliban <ponders>
[b]Mortepierre Malepeste[/b]
[i]Dwarven Necro.. er .. Student of Anatomy[/i]
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

A (human) child might be a better disguise than an adult demihuman, for most domains. The former identity is both inconspicuous (there's always street urchins, stray farm kids playing hooky from chores, and the like wandering around) and a lot more harmless-looking than a grown gnome or halfling. A cunning choker might even assume a role similar to a true boogeyman, in the eyes of local children: something scary that only they are aware of, because the adults don't pay enough attention to kids.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Jasper wrote:Looking at the picture a chocker kinda looks like a burn victum. Add a few bandages and a large monk type robe and few can tell the diffrence.

Sounds like the basis for a choker who's the product of a Terror Track, rather than being born that way: it was a human murderer who strangled people once, but failed Powers checks caused its arms to grow rubbery and its bones to soften.....

That would help distinguish this choker from Salisarr-however-you-spell-it BTW, as the latter was always a monster, whereas the choker would know it was human once, and kill out of envy and for revenge against old foes from its time as a human being, rather than for cruelty and greed, alone.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

THIS IS AN AWESOME IDEA.
Rotipher wrote:Sounds like the basis for a choker who's the product of a Terror Track, rather than being born that way: it was a human murderer who strangled people once, but failed Powers checks caused its arms to grow rubbery and its bones to soften.....

That would help distinguish this choker from Salisarr-however-you-spell-it BTW, as the latter was always a monster, whereas the choker would know it was human once, and kill out of envy and for revenge against old foes from its time as a human being, rather than for cruelty and greed, alone.
This makes it even more awesome. Somebody ought to build this guy and submit him to Daisy's NPC Netbook. 8)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

If you don't like him small, you can advance him to medium size by bringing him up to 7 HD before adding class levels. (at least according to the 3.0 MM, I don't know what 3.5 says)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

JinnTolser wrote:

THIS IS AN AWESOME IDEA.
Rotipher wrote:Sounds like the basis for a choker who's the product of a Terror Track, rather than being born that way: it was a human murderer who strangled people once, but failed Powers checks caused its arms to grow rubbery and its bones to soften.....

This makes it even more awesome. Somebody ought to build this guy and submit him to Daisy's NPC Netbook. 8)
I'm in the preliminary stages of statting, but I think I'll save him for my netbook. Olly's already OKed it, as it was his idea, so expect to see him soon. Ish.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

The 2E Mystara Monstrous Compendium said chokers have hyper-metabolisms and love to eat humanoid flesh. They prefer goblin flesh overall, and legends say that chokers are descended from a degenerate tribe of goblins that fell into cannibalism. If you went with this description, you might consider the choker being a bogeyman type creature for goblins. Would the people of Tempest unwisely favor these creatures if they primarily hunted goblins and fey? Or you might make them the descendants of a lost tribe of children like from the Lord of the Flies. Chokers might be evil in wanting to obsessively "protect" the children from any one who they see as abusing them, including strict parents, whom they murder and eat.

It also mentioned that the choker has an inborn sense of shyness to it and hates loud noises. I could see these creatures enjoy crushing people's voice boxes just to make them silent. Perhaps it hates intelligent humanoids for their ability for complex languages? Or maybe an irrational hatred for bards? An evil twisted version of the old man next door that doesn't like the neighborhood kids to have large parties or play loud music. "Hey you damn adventurers, get off my lawn!"