52%

Total votes: 23

Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Domains of Dread vs. RL DMG 3.5

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hello all,

Christmas's approaching and as every year, I'll put nothing but geekish toys and books on my wishlist.

Now, to complete my personal RL collection, I want to buy at least one more of the general campaign settings.

Which would you recommend me more? Domains of Dread or the RL DMG for 3.5? (Right now, I own the old BB and the 3e campaign setting.)

I'll welcome any opinions!

Yours,

Rafael
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

I just gotta give the vote to Domains fo Dread.
Yes, its badly out of date, and one and a half editions behind, but it was the single best Ravenloft book ever produced.
It covered everything in the demiplane - a Ravenloft-sampler, if you will. Not a single corner of the demiplane was left un-mentioned, and almost every darklord was stated. ven today, DoD is a great refernece document.It had a wonderful balance of crunch and fluf. And, it still left pleanty of room for imagination.
That all said, the book is out of date and the crunch material completely obsolete. I wouldn't pay more than $20 now - and not even that if its not in excellent condition.

The RLDMG was a good book, too. It may not have thrilled me like DoD, but it did provide a concise overview of all the domains, and outlined a lot of great fluf. (The adventure pacing section rawks - Pit and Pendulum models)

So, my recomendation is IF you can get DoD at a significant discount, get it.
If you can't get it at less than $20, then the RLDMG is your best bet.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Le Noir Faineant

ScS of the Fraternity wrote: So, my recomendation is IF you can get DoD at a significant discount, get it.
Thank you!

That does seem a reasonable tactic, and I will follow it. :)

Most mint copies of Domains of Dread don't ship under 20$ - 30$, and the DMG with 15 $ may be a wiser choice then. :)
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Boccaccio Barbarossa »

Desdichado wrote:
ScS of the Fraternity wrote: So, my recomendation is IF you can get DoD at a significant discount, get it.
Thank you!

That does seem a reasonable tactic, and I will follow it. :)

Most mint copies of Domains of Dread don't ship under 20$ - 30$, and the DMG with 15 $ may be a wiser choice then. :)
I have to go with what's been said - DOmains of Dread was the BEST product, or one of them, out there. It had great rules on special penalties and bonusues based on home doamin (which I ALWAYS thought was important.) Too bad it IS obsolete... though there is some good stuff in there.

The RL DMG is great in its own way, but a lot of the book is about how to run a game which, while well thought-out and written, I've heard before already, so...
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Well... I just think they're two completely different books.
I think there's no reason to compare them:
DoD is a "all-in-one" campaign book.
RLDMG is a "companion": it helps, but it's not THAT useful.

Just my Humble Opinion. ;)
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Domains of Dread is available on ebay.de for much less than $ 20 From the UK. But you'll have to ask about postage from first...
Le Noir Faineant

Thank you for your recommendations. Honestly, I'd like to have them both, but I've really collected more RPG books than I can read, and really want to spend my money for something else than gaming stuff at least SOMETIMES... :wink:
TheGiamarga wrote:Domains of Dread is available on ebay.de for much less than $ 20 From the UK. But you'll have to ask about postage from first...

:) Thank you! I checked the different offers and will look if I can get one them! ... Would really be cheap... :D
Fido
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Fido »

DMG is an awesome book.
Personally, I think the RL DMG is the best book in my entire collection.