Legends & Lore

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Samael Hands of Stone
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Legends & Lore

Post by Samael Hands of Stone »

It goes without saying that Ravenloft is a setting born, at base, out of expressions or amalgams of popular folklore and ageless legends from a variety of cultures and historical periods. I wanted to open this thread to provide a place where we could all relate other, perhaps more obscure folk tales and myths from around the world, that might ultimately provide DM's and players with new sources inspiration.

To kick things off I'd like to relate this cool little legend/tale from Icelandic early-medieval folklore that I think has some very Ravenloft potential.

The story revolves around a secret school of arcane magic that roughly translates to the "Black School". The Black School is located in an ancient underground cavern, deep beneath the earth, with a single long staircase as its only exit. Every season the Black School receives a small amount of novices in the arts that travel there from around the country to seek out secret occult knowledge from its enigmatic master (rumored by some to be the Devil himself).

The school operates under very strange conditions as its chambers and study areas are completely devoid of light, and effectively force its students to read in pitch darkness. This is only possible because all the tomes and scrolls are written with "burning letters" (fairy fire?), and thus radiate sufficiently to make them readable. Another staple of the Black School is its yearly tradition of "mandatory apprenticeship". The way it works is rather bizarre and somewhat comical (if you're an Office Space fan). At the end of the semester, students have to clear out of the school as fast as they can, as the last one to leave ends up being trapped by the Schoolmaster and forced to become his apprentice. The unfortunate one to get caught last is never seen or heard from again, and is assumed to have been dragged into hell. Basically, making the Dean's List is not recommended at the Black School!

As the story goes, one year, three young Icelandic hopefuls, Sæmundur the Learned, Kálfur Arnason, and Hálfdán Eldjárnsson arrive to the Black School and undertake magical studies under the watchful eye of the Schoolmaster. Aware of the "apprenticeship tradition", Kálfur and Hálfdán do their best to have their things packed and ready for the big day; they don't want to get trapped by being the last ones out. Sæmundur on the other hand is strangely calm, and even tells his companions that he will volunteer to stay behind. Puzzled (but relieved), his colleagues accept his proposal. Little do they know of course that Sæmundur has a plan.

On the day of graduation, Kálfur and Hálfdán make haste out of the Black School grounds and head for the hills, not daring to look back. Sæmundur meanwhile dons a heavy fur cloak and begins to exit the school in a calm and composed manner. As he reaches the door, the Schoolmaster manifests himself and catches our hero by the collar, telling him in a wicked snarl, "Your ass is mine!" (may not be the exact wording...). The moment Sæmundur falls into the Devil's clutches, he drops low, slipping out of his heavy cloak and shoots out the door, barley making it out, but not before the door is slammed into his heel, making him limp the rest of the way.

Apparently this legend is now responsible for the expression "having the Devil at your heels". Another version of the story tells that Sæmundur actually waited to run because he had calculated the exact position of the sun on the day of departure, and made sure to leave the school at the precise moment that his exit would cast a shadow on the gate. Thus, when the Devil tried to take him, he simply refused to surrender stating that he was not the last to leave (while pointing to his shadow).

I think this story rocks personally. I'm eager to read your additions (if any).
Last edited by Samael Hands of Stone on Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In life, we all have our El Guapos..."
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Apparently this legend is now responsible for the expression "having the Devil at your heels". Another version of the story tells that Sæmundur actually waited to run because he had calculated the exact position of the sun on the day of departure, and made sure to leave the school at the precise moment that his exit would cast a shadow on the gate. Thus, when the Devil tried to take him, he simply refused to surrender stating that he was not the last to leave (while pointing to his shadow).
And so, the Devil took his shadow. Now Saemundur (I'm sorry if I don't knwo how to make the appropriate characters) lives without a shadow. This is, of course, with the exception of the anniversary of his escape: where he does have a shadow, inside of which the devil can manifest. He is then cursed to continue running on that night, as he litterally 'has the devil at his heels' all night long.