A couple of questions

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

A couple of questions

Post by Hell_Born »

Didn't know whether I should post this here or in the Fraternity Netbook section, but anyway. I am an avid collecter of the Quoth the Raven Netbooks, and have enjoyed doing so. However, a couple of articles have left me puzzled, so I just thought I'd post my problems here and let the authors straighten me out.

*In Quoth the Raven #8's Brutes and Banshees article, the Pale deformity grants +2 bonus to either the Reign Undead skill or the Psychic skill. I know Reign Undead is from Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead, but where is Psychic from? By extension, whatever happened to the planned Brutes and Banshees II: Spawn of the Beyond article?

*Quoth the Raven #10's Nightlord gains a Phooka for a mount at level 4. The author says the Phooka's stats are in his/her article "Terrors From the Deep", but I've gone over my collection with a fine-toothed comb and haven't found that article. Where are the Phooka's stats?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Fido
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: A couple of questions

Post by Fido »

Hell_Born wrote:
*Quoth the Raven #10's Nightlord gains a Phooka for a mount at level 4. The author says the Phooka's stats are in his/her article "Terrors From the Deep", but I've gone over my collection with a fine-toothed comb and haven't found that article. Where are the Phooka's stats?

That's in Champions of Darkness.
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Okay, thank you. Can anyone answer my other question?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Okay, if no-one can tell me where the Psychic skill is from, then can you answer these?

*Which sourcebook features the Dread Possibility featuring one of the Weathermay-Foxtrot Twins being infected with Lycanthropy?

*What are the Gentleman Caller's Children identified by S in the Ravenloft Gazetteers and where, if applicable, are their stats?

*What precisly is Markov's curse and how is it possible to get rid of him permanently?

Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Hell_Born wrote:Okay, if no-one can tell me where the Psychic skill is from, then can you answer these?
I'm not sure there is a Psychic skill, sounds like a Feat to me.
*Which sourcebook features the Dread Possibility featuring one of the Weathermay-Foxtrot Twins being infected with Lycanthropy?
Van Richten's Arsenal. It's after their character descriptions in the DM's notes.
*What are the Gentleman Caller's Children identified by S in the Ravenloft Gazetteers and where, if applicable, are their stats?
For certain? The Beast of Kartakass in the Gaz 1, Viggo Drakov in the Gaz 2, The Jongleur and Malocchio Adere in the Gaz IV and I'm not sure who it is in the Gaz V, though I suspect Chezna, simply because S goes out of her way to point out that she's a red-haired Vistani and that's unusual.

Malocchio is the only one who has stats, however.
*What precisly is Markov's curse and how is it possible to get rid of him permanently?
Markov is cursed to never again take human form. He always has the body of some sort of animal. I don't think he has any special ability that would mean simply butchering him, if you'll excuse the pun, wouldn't work.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

I asked about the Psychic skill because it's mentioned in the Brutes and Banshees article in Quoth the Raven #8; the Pale deformity grants a +2 bonus to either Reign Undead (if evil) or Psychic (if good). I've never heard of it before so that's why I'm asking.

And what's the pun in butchering Markov?

Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hell_Born wrote:I asked about the Psychic skill because it's mentioned in the Brutes and Banshees article in Quoth the Raven #8; the Pale deformity grants a +2 bonus to either Reign Undead (if evil) or Psychic (if good). I've never heard of it before so that's why I'm asking.

And what's the pun in butchering Markov?
Markov was a butcher before he became a darklord.

And they say old dogs can't learn new tricks...
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Hell_Born wrote:I asked about the Psychic skill because it's mentioned in the Brutes and Banshees article in Quoth the Raven #8; the Pale deformity grants a +2 bonus to either Reign Undead (if evil) or Psychic (if good). I've never heard of it before so that's why I'm asking.
I think it means either Psicraft or Autohypnosis. Both are in the psionic handbook
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

I think the author must have meant Hypnosis then, because that's a skill described in the Campaign Setting, and I think it's in Van Richten's Arsenal too. Unless he or she clears it up, I guess I'll never know. Oh well.

One final question: what Darklords do require special methods to be killed, and what are their methods of destruction?

Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Hell_Born wrote:I think the author must have meant Hypnosis then, because that's a skill described in the Campaign Setting, and I think it's in Van Richten's Arsenal too. Unless he or she clears it up, I guess I'll never know. Oh well.

One final question: what Darklords do require special methods to be killed, and what are their methods of destruction?
Adam - You need to kill both Dr M and Adam at the same time or they both regenerate

Death- You need something attuned to creation or new life (a babbies rattle/blanket, emniotic fuild (sp? The water that sourounds the child in the womb), a babys cry etc;) to stun him long enough to harm him

Harkon Lukas- You need to kill all the wolves in his domain or he reforms in one of thier bodies

Maligno- needs to be burned to ash or he can be rebuilt

Anton Misroi- Can return in the body of any dead person in his domain fully healed.

Arijani- Can only be harmed by those not native to his domain and can be killed with a special magic crossbow bolt

Thats all I can think of at the moment.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Torrence Bleysmith needs a horribly complex set of events to occur, as far as I can remember.
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Who's Arijana? Isn't he the Darklord of Sri Raji? Speaking of which, what are the best sources of info on the Domains not covered in the Ravenloft Gazetteers? Because I'm afraid I came into the setting late (it's 3.5 edition), so all I have to go on is the quick blurb in the Campaign Setting book.

Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hell_Born wrote:Who's Arijana? Isn't he the Darklord of Sri Raji? Speaking of which, what are the best sources of info on the Domains not covered in the Ravenloft Gazetteers? Because I'm afraid I came into the setting late (it's 3.5 edition), so all I have to go on is the quick blurb in the Campaign Setting book.
The RLCS and DMG have details about domains, the DMG has brief notes on all darklords too.
Seamus
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Seamus »

Tristen Ap'Blanc can only be truly killed on the day of an equinox or solstice.

When Hazlik's body is killed his soul retreats to an amulet that allows him to possess anyone who touches it. The amulet would have to be destroyed to kill him finally.

Wilfred Godefroy can only be put to rest if Gryphon Manor is torn down to the last stone.

Malken can only be dispelled if every male of the Hiregaard line is killed. Otherwise the curse just passes to Tristan's heirs.

To kill Gwydion you'd have to open the Obsidian Gate and then defeat him in all his glory. Good luck with that.

Along with Jasper's contributions, I think that covers the Core.
"The sun is just a nuclear weapon that hasn't finished killing us yet." Eve, Diesel Sweeties, by R. Stevens.
brothersale
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brothersale »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:
Hell_Born wrote:*What precisly is Markov's curse and how is it possible to get rid of him permanently?
Markov is cursed to never again take human form. He always has the body of some sort of animal. I don't think he has any special ability that would mean simply butchering him, if you'll excuse the pun, wouldn't work.
actually Markov falls under one of the unkillable darklords, he can be reduced to 0 hp but then begins to shift randomly into different forms, with no control over himself and probably with a great deal of discomfort. while in this shifting process he can't close the borders and slowly regenerated the damage done to him
All great movements require a few martyrs... -Moebius (soulreaver 2)