Ancient Dead Energy Dilemma

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ancient Dead Energy Dilemma

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

As stated in VRA in the Danse Macabre entry, Ancient Dead are based on positive energy. Does that mean that they are turned by evil clerics and rebuked by good ones? Are they healed by cure _____ wounds spells?
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

The ancient dead are effectively deathless (as described in Eberron and the Book of Exalted Deeds).
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

Thanks for the quick reply John, that answers my question completely.
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

For your info, in the otherwise uninteresting Slayers Guide to the Undead, Gygax correct this historical mistake and said the mummies energy is from the negative plane, as it is for all other undead.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Were I rewriting the Ravenloft core books now, ancient dead and mummies would both exist -- the former being deathless and the latter undead.

The twist on deathless in Ravenloft is that, in other words, the souls of the deathless are free to move on to their deserved afterlives (presumably in the Upper Planes), returning to their bodies only when needed. In Ravenloft, their souls have nowhere to go, so they merely "slumber" in oblivion.

The ancient dead of Ravenloft aren't inherently evil (unlike the undead) -- they just come by it naturally via their unnatural connection to a mortal existance and the denial of the promised afterlife.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

I like that very much. Would it be all right for someone here (maybe me, but more probably someone else) to use that idea for a netbook article? Perhaps the twins will find that they have to actually amend Van Richten's notes (which might surprise them, as I get the feeling hero worship might tend to color their perceptions when it comes to Uncle Dolph's scholarship!).

ETA: Man, that sounds presumptious as hell. I think I was thinking that if you no longer feel inclined to write RPG material, be it for a netbook or professional publication, it'd be a shame to let that good idea lie fallow...
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Boccaccio Barbarossa »

Brandi wrote:I like that very much. Would it be all right for someone here (maybe me, but more probably someone else) to use that idea for a netbook article? Perhaps the twins will find that they have to actually amend Van Richten's notes (which might surprise them, as I get the feeling hero worship might tend to color their perceptions when it comes to Uncle Dolph's scholarship!).

ETA: Man, that sounds presumptious as hell. I think I was thinking that if you no longer feel inclined to write RPG material, be it for a netbook or professional publication, it'd be a shame to let that good idea lie fallow...
But not altogether false. I don't like the twins very much. They've always struck me as rather naive... and stuck on Uncle Dolph, like you say.

I mean, you HAVE to knwo the guy made some mistakes!!! :twisted:
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ancient being Deathless instead of undead? I use the rules of Ravenloft monsters (especially ancients and ghosts) in other worlds without borders and trapping. So that wouldn't work for me. . . I'll see what I can do about the deathless ancients. Perhaps I'll change the restless nature, perhaps I'll make ancients negative energy undead despite what VR said.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Having read Eberron, I personally love the idea of the Ancient Dead being deathless. Think about it: something from beyond the grave that derives its somewhat-life-force from the planar realm of positive energy, the nemesis of all undead. :)

Just proves that even the rules of Ravenloft can change, albeit in very, very subtle ways. :)
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Having read Eberron, I personally love the idea of the Ancient Dead being deathless. Think about it: something from beyond the grave that derives its somewhat-life-force from the planar realm of positive energy, the nemesis of all undead. :)

Just proves that even the rules of Ravenloft can change, albeit in very, very subtle ways. :)
I just think that it has the potential for a nice surpruise for the PCs, even if it does maybe seem like a stretch...

And the idea of being deathless... like you have never died, but yet are not alive, as opposed to Undead which generally involve death and then "rebirth"... in a way. (though I haven't read the Eberron Setting...)
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Boccaccio Barbarossa wrote: (though I haven't read the Eberron Setting...)
Deathless are also in the Book of Exalted Deeds.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scipion_Emilien »

A good cleric that made his check can command a deathless?
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Kinda remind me of the Unsent from Final Fantasy X. Basicly they are people who refused to go to the other side when they died and now live in the shell of thier former body. The body does not rot or decay but any wounds inflicted on it must be stiched close as they can no longer heal any damage.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:
Boccaccio Barbarossa wrote: (though I haven't read the Eberron Setting...)
Deathless are also in the Book of Exalted Deeds.
Cool. That I DO have occasionall access to...

Thanks.