Ravenloft: The Movie

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Samael Hands of Stone
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Ravenloft: The Movie

Post by Samael Hands of Stone »

On of my chief creative interests lies in the art of filmmaking; many of the stories I write have undeniable cinematic aesthetic to them. This is not to say that my work would make for good film, but rather that I tend to imagine stories more in terms of visual sequences and camera shots with appropriate lighting, etc. Being a big fan of the Ravenloft setting for many years now, the idea (which no doubt many have entertained and even indulged in) of constructing and authoring and actual screenplay based on Rav has been a back burner project of mine for some time.

The greatest challenge is of course conceiving of an epic story that really captures the essence of the setting, and finding a way to tell the tale in a broad enough manner that will put Ravenloft's true artistic merit to the foreground. Another ordeal is avoiding the pitfalls of indulging in insider-meta-plots that are made up of personal gaming experiences that I've had, and that few outside my gaming group would appreciate. the challenge of creating something that will speak to every Ravenloft-head out there, and, with some measure of luck, appeal to those that are not in-the-know.

So far my sources of inspiration have been the Gazetteers (exploits of S), and some of the classic novels like I, Strahd (and sequel), Knight of the Black Rose (and sequel), books like Dr. Jekyll& Mr. Hyde (classic literature), and admittedly, some of my own material.

I guess what I'd like to do is open the forum a bit and ask for your feedback on the topic of writing a "definitive" Ravenloft script, and whether such an exploit is even within the scope of my abilities.

I welcome your thoughts...

"In life, we all have our El Guapos..."
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

To do any justice to the feel of Ravenloft you would need to do at least three movies ala the Harry potter series.

The first movie would have to be based on the life, adventures and final days of Van Richten. In my mind it would start out with VR sitting at him home in Mordent writting in a large tome. A voice over matches the words he writes in the tome- "I, Dr. Roudolph Van Richten, formerly of Darkon and currently of Mordent hereby set in writing the tale of my life so further generations may benefit from my experiances in thier fight against the creatures of the dark..."

The scene would blend into a overhead flying shot of Darkon (cue opening credits/music), over Castle Avernus, past Il Aluk and then Martira Bay. The Camera then floats over a hill to a of VR, his wife and son playing in the fields outside of the city.

The first 1/4 of the movie has VR narating how his son was abducted and how it lead him on the path of a crusader for good with introductions of the Vistani, Baron Metus and a brief cameo of Azalin.

The next 2/4th would be a montage of VRs various adventures with introduction of Strahd and a few battle scenes with some of Ravenlofts most noted villians as well as several NPCs (Weathermay, Gondegal, etc: )

The last 1/4th would be him finishing up his writing and leads in the very begining of Bleak house.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Boccaccio Barbarossa »

Jason - you have the POWER!

Bring it home! (More coherent responses to follow after sleep.)
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

A miniseries would be more apt for RL than one single movie. Remember the first "Dune" movie (the one with Sting)? It is now considered inferior to the miniseries. :)
Tessa
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tessa »

I tend to think that a Ravenloft movie/trilogy/series should start out being based upon the original module. That a group of adventurers are drawn into the Mists are face down Strahd and his minions at Castle Ravenloft.
Personally, I think that is the best way to introduce the concepts of the Demi-plane and the Domains and whatnot.
From there, the concepts can be expanded to include other domains and characters.
I understand the urge to jump right in with a fully formed Ravenloft and the whole cast of characters but I think that you need a firm foundation to build on before you can get to that point.
Fido
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Fido »

Remember what happened to this?

Thát one also sounded like a good idea at the time...
Tessa
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tessa »

[i]Remember what happened to this?

Thát one also sounded like a good idea at the time...[/i]

... so we shouldn't make movies anymore? That makes sense. :lol:
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

I think if you made a Ravenloft movie, you'd want to avoid trying to make the film into a grand, epic tale that spanned the whole of the realm. That sort of story is best covered in a novel, where there is room to develop that kind of tale. A movie can only be about 2 hours long. So you don't have alot of time to tell your story.

Me, personally, I would like to see a smaller story that maybe hinted at the larger whole. Maybe a few cameos by a few of the famous characters, but mainly stick to a really solid story.

Like any other movie, I think that a great Ravenloft movie would be one that focuses on the characters and the interaction between them. Personally, I would set the film in Barovia. Put Van Richten and the Weathermay twins in the story, and have the movie climax in Castle Ravenloft.
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

Fido wrote:Remember what happened to this?

What we're doing here simply an academic excercise. I don't think anyone think that a Ravenloft movie would really happen.
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Boccaccio Barbarossa »

Ivana_Boritsi wrote:
Fido wrote:Remember what happened to this?

What we're doing here simply an academic excercise. I don't think anyone think that a Ravenloft movie would really happen.
as ravenloft, it would not, I don;t think. mind you, framed as something else, and stripped of it's obvious gamer references... it might make a modest showign for a few weeks.

You would need to approach it with more of a "this is a gothic horro movie" sales pitch.
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/
Johann Foxgrove
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Johann Foxgrove »

Oh! that Ravenloft movie is a great idea, an idea I also had dreamed with sometimes. :!: All of us (gamers) have a great imagination. Maybe a group of veteran DM's and players could make the greatest movie ever done (I'm not joking). As someone said, a movie is too short for RL. It's impossible to capture the real essence in just two hours. To do that, would be necessary to make a movie so big as The Lord of the Rings, and it seems that LOTR, being the great-grandfather of Ravenloft, cannot be repeated. I agree with the Ravenloft series idea... It could capture more effectively the Ravenloft spirit, with the trama evolving around an adventurer party, and their andvance in power and knowledge, their battles and temptations. If a movie is made, there's two options for the story: 1.- The very classic Strahd's story, too well known to be repeated here. 2.- A new story, to catch the interest of every Ravenloft player, a story designed just for the movie, a very good one. I know a group of veteran DM's working together could make a better movie than the best of the directors.
"Gods of war I call you, my sword is my side.
I seek a life of honor free from all false pride.
I will crack the whip with a bold mighty hail.
Cover me with death if I should ever fail.
Glory, majesty, unity. Hail, hail, hail."
Johann Foxgrove
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Johann Foxgrove »

Well, I have also another idea. I would really like to see a good Ravenloft series, the story of an adventurer party, their travels around RL, with all the tension and flavor of the game. BUT... instead of a final chapter, the story would finish with a good movie (just a good one, forget that better-movie-ever nonsense), something like the season end. A good movie with just two or three weeks. That would be great.
That's the way I like to play. My Ravenloft campaign runs a serie of adventures and finish the season with a all-night-session. I have a good idea for the movie, I'd be pleased to talk with you about it.

Another thing... Somewhere else, there's a post of the Raveloft would be cast. I think those well known actors are attached to old characters. New and fresh actors is the better option.
"Gods of war I call you, my sword is my side.
I seek a life of honor free from all false pride.
I will crack the whip with a bold mighty hail.
Cover me with death if I should ever fail.
Glory, majesty, unity. Hail, hail, hail."
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Hey Jason,

Hold up one second, RL is HUGE! I mean Star Trek HUGE! I'm not sure the word 'ambition' does this situation justice...

Very noble of your Jason, but my worry is less that its going to turn out to be like the D&D movie, and more like the 'Van Hellsing' movie where it absolutely RUINED a whole bunch of litteratures greats characters. D&D was so bad it was good, Van Hellsing just needed to be put out to the pasture and shot!

This isn't a matter of ability on your part, Jason; its a pit fall I'm warning you of. There is a lot behind these characters, and the audience you are aiming for would not want to see 'S' falling Maddely in love with George Weathermay (as Hollywood might do).

Then again, your a geek like the rest of us: you can appreciate some authenticity.

One idea though: I found that introducing players to Ravenloft and having them play as outlanders really works. Why not try and use that? Remember that the mists can take anyone from any time, and so maybe somone from today's area is swept into Mordent.

A twisted Alice in Wonderland comes to mind.
Fido
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Fido »

Undead Cabbage wrote:
One idea though: I found that introducing players to Ravenloft and having them play as outlanders really works. Why not try and use that? Remember that the mists can take anyone from any time, and so maybe somone from today's area is swept into Mordent.

A twisted Alice in Wonderland comes to mind.
Think of a party with Hitler, Julius Caesar, Yoda and Jeanne d'Arc. :D

Okay, I'm kidding...
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Think of a party with Hitler, Julius Caesar, Yoda and Jeanne d'Arc. Very Happy

Okay, I'm kidding...
:lol:
Anybody here a Clone High fan?

But any way, back on track.