Getting Players attached to NPCs

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Getting Players attached to NPCs

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Hello fellow members of the Fraternity,

I was wondering if any one would have any field tested techniques about having players get attached to NPCs. Next session I will be introducing a female NPC with levels in the 'True Innocent' prestige class, and I want the characters to feel some form of attachment. Eventually, the True innocent is going to be killed by one of the PCs as a final powers check failure in a tragic climax towards total corruption. But tragedy isn't tragedy if you don't care about the victim. How do I get players to care about an NPC, especially if the NPC is a different gender then I am, without making things incredibly akward?
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Yeah, it can be tough. You obviously can't tell a player, "Your character feels emotionally drawn to her" and let that be that. My suggestion is to have the NPC ask the player about his background. If your targeted PC is on a path toward corruption (as your note suggests), then he probably has some "issues" that might become obvious to anyone who spends time with him. An innocent NPC would pick up on this. Her empathy and concern for the character's well-being and mental health could lead to friendship and, eventually, to something more.

It'll take time. You may even decide to scrap your original plans for the NPC. For instance, instead of the PC slaying her, she might be killed because of a choice that the player made or she could be slain by a foe of the PCs. Either course could lead the PC on a dark path of nihilism or vengeance.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I don't have any tested techniques to share. It seems to be very hit or miss with me. Some NPC's they feel an instant attachment to. Some they don't trust despite repeated efforts. I guess the only thing I can suggest is to get a good picture of the NPC to show them. This often conveys the mood of the person better than words can. For this true innocent, you may get away with the picture in the book for the Prestige Class. She looks awfully innocent. :)

Don't overthink portraying a female NPC. If you call attention to it, your players will call attention to it. If you act like it's perfectly normal, they'll act like it's perfectly normal. Don't try a high falsetto voice in the stereotypical "sound like a girl" way. That'll just seem silly. Just use your normal voice, but try "softening it" a bit. Hard to describe, but it's what I've seen work best, kind of half a whisper, but not really. If that doesn't work, just use your normal voice and rely on imagination.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Your best bet is probably to keep the NPC as someone who's nearby for a long time. Also, make her a helpful sort of person. I don't mean some sort of Deus ex Machina wunderkind, but someone who asks about the PCs welfare, does small favors for them (without being asked, even), ect. - just someone who seems to care about the PCs. With luck, the PCs will reciprocate. It's hard to dislike someone who brought you hot tea because she heard you were sick. (Don't overdo it though, otherwise the PCs will get suspicious.)

I would also suggest to keep your campaign NPC deaths to a minimum for a while. If the PCs start to pick up a trend in the fates of their NPC compainions, they don't get attached - rather, they expect the NPC to die. Nothing quite ruins a tragic death scene like the PCs yelling, "I knew it!" or taking bets on when the new girl is going to bite it.
Last edited by Isabella on Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samael Hands of Stone
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Samael Hands of Stone »

Great topic Cabbage!

Creating good NPC's is porbably on the same level of importance as telling a good story, or perhaps their one and the same. Either way, I have found in my expeience that trying to endear an NPC to your player group is a challenge.

The fisrt thing you have to look at is the type of group you're running the game for. Are they cynical types that ooze sarcam and like to laugh in the face of danger? Are they studious and meticulous, discussing every step before taking it, making notes along the way? Are they the gung ho types that lust for battle and women, and care for little else? That's where I would begin to look for clues.

The second thing to look for is the players' actual personalites (in real life). If they are friends, you must be aware of their likes and dislikes in terms of personality, and you can definitley use that to your advantage when your shaping NPC characteristics. I ususally throw a number of NPC's at my players and try to let them sort out which ones they want to get attached to, and which ones to forget. It's a surprise every time, not to mention a great source of hilarity.

Another tactic is to imbue said NPC with knowledge or insight about matters that are imperitive to the players. Maybe this Innocent girl has psychic abilities, able to tell player X what that mysterious medallion around their neck (that they inherited) means. Or perhaps she can divine other crusial information relating to the palyers' ultimate mission.

good luck!
"In life, we all have our El Guapos..."
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

It really is unpredictable, you can't manipulate or plan for attachment or affection.

One idea might be to have the character express an interest in the hero. Facination with the heroic, the eqivalent of a fan. Maybe someone who's heard bard stories of the exploits, horribly distorted and romanticised stories but stories none the less.

Another is simply to present the character and mention her by name a few times until someone asks about her. Just mix it up with a few other consitently named characters. You should have a quick bio and few memorable tidbits related to them as well. If the same character is mentioned over and over eventually someone will be curious for more details. The trick is to put her in a place regularly frequented by the players so they encounter her on a regular basis without coincidentally bumping into her all the time.
The players, if this works, should feel they brought the character into the game by expressing an interest.

The weasily DM-sneak way is to write up a couple roles for the character and make multiple copies. Esentially have a handful of identical characters ready to be slipped into play whenever the players ask or inquire. Really, whomever the players become attached to becomes this NPC.

There is no sure-fire way, knowing your players is the safest bet. Barmaids tend to be asked about by some players while other fixate on the victimes. A quick way is simply to make her indespensible and useful. The assistant of the local healer who is always on hand to bandage up "her brave heroes" and offer them some kind words. Or the assitant in the inn who cooks the means and always gives "the champions of the villiage" and extra-large helping of food.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

As the other said, it isn't always easy to make the PCs really like an NPC. But most of the time it worked for me: the NPC I wanted them to befriend were able to be accepted.

Some were victims, other had interesting informations. All were friendly, but not overly so.

But most of the time, they were introduced by another PC they trust.

Joël
Last edited by Joël of the FoS on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

As others have said, make the npc useful. Not unrealistically so, but give her some function that makes the pcs want her around. Once you've overcome the initial aversion to her presence, then you work on character. Pay attention to detail, give her some interesting, cute or clever quirks that would appeal to both your pcs and their players.

Don't lay her on too thick. If the players feel as though they are required to like the girl, they most certainly will not forge the same bond they might if it seemed to happen naturally. As someone else suggested, let the pcs feel as though they have a part to play in making her a character ... even if she is traveling with the party, allow the pcs to draw her out a bit.

You can always have her show an interest in skills the pcs can teach her. Secretly pick one or two skills from each character and have her show an interest in them ... be subtle and let the pc approach her - if it is within their nature as players.

Really, it depends on the playing style of your group. If they are the type to become engaged with a non player character it will be much simpler than if they're the types to see all npcs as non-people.

Naturally you must give her a solid personality. Don't worry too much about playing a divergent gender. If her personality seems female, the players will believe it more than if you attempt to use odd voices and body language. Of course, if you can use voices believably, don't feel awkward about doing so. Me, I like to use a british, southern american or bronx accent for my females, this way the characters hear her differently even if you aren't using a feminine voice. (though I agree, softening your voice some is a good idea)

Most importantly, don't rush it. The more naturally it occurs, the stronger the bond will become.

I had a little more advice, but have to run off for my game. Good luck.
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

All awesome ideas, everyone. I really do appreciate this.

One idea I had. The four out of five players (including the one who has failed powers checks) are outlanders and so far they have experienced a great deal of cold feelings for aestetic things (i.e. an OR rating). What if the NPC were to help them with this by buying them some clothing and helping them fit in?

I liked the cooking idea. The more I read your ideas, the more I think of Aerith from Final Fantasy 7; her death had players waisting time trying to find the 'secret to saving aerith' for who knows how long. Perhaps some ff7 music might be appropriate for her theme...

Once again, thank you everyone, I just have two more questions.

First, her enevitable death. Should the players see it coming, or should it be drastically sudden? Do I make it quick, or do I give them something that will make them have nightmares for weeks on end?

Second, a name. Something touching, but not too extravegent. Any ideas?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

As far as the death goes, be very careful to make it non-preventable, but seem preventable. my PC's have a habit of trying to save every NPC that gets thrown to the wolves, even jumping into apparently bottomless pits to save them. Yes, you can always say that whatever they try to do doesn't work, but you don't want them to feel cheated by trying something that was doomed to failure by DM whim. I think it may be best to have the death happen "off-screen" so it's clear that it's a plot point, but one they can't meddle with.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Samael Hands of Stone
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Samael Hands of Stone »

To your first question, how to kill her off, I'd say let it come to you. This sounds like an easy answer, but really, if you play your cards right, the players themselves will deliver unto you the perfect way to cast her off. If that doesn't work out, I prefer the slow kill method (mysterious illness, fatal wound) where the pc's get to experience the full measure of the loss, while learning the valuable lesson: sometimes you just can't save the ones you love.

To question #2, well it is a broadly a matter of preference, I offer you these humble suggestions for a name:

- Lorilei
- Ashka
- Genesy

good luck
"In life, we all have our El Guapos..."
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi Undead Cabbage,
It is hard to let PCs become attached to NPCs, but very worthwhile, as the Pcs will become very worried about the NPCs and this will move the plot forward with the DM having to do anything.

Things that I found that worked are mostly mentioned i this thread already. Make sure that the Pcs and NPCs have some history together and that the PCs know some stuff about the NPCs. Did they go to school together, grow up together etc.? Then they would know the NPC, her parents, her home, her hobbies etc, the NPC does not need to tell the PCs that. If the PCs mother and the NPCs mother regularly shared a tea and a chat, they are already close.

Make sure that the NPC does something for the PCs, greets them in the street, asks after their mother, buys them a drink in the pub. Small things, thing a good neighbour would do for you.

If a connection is then made, the NPC could start to play a bigger part in the lives of the PCs, perhaps she has some special knowledge or skill or something the PCs need. That way the NPC will suddenly become really important.

As for killing off an important NPC, it would greatly depend on what fits for your campaign. A sudden off screen death might call for brutal vengeance on part of the PCs, while a long lingering disease (with many efforts to find a cure) might overwhelm the PCs with feelings of despair and grief. (insert grieving parents if necessary)

If a PC was clearly at fault in the death of a beloved NPC, you can definitely expect a reaction from other PCs. So be prepared for some infighting. (my party loved this)

So, I hope I have given you some good advice and good luck.

Jennifer
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Most people have posted good ways for you to go about killing your poor NPC, but my best advice to you is to be very careful while doing it. I know NPC death is a favorite tool of GMs, but if you do succeed in getting your PCs attached to her, they might react more than you realize.

If you let the PCs feel as though there was a chance to save her, when they fail (due to bad die rolls, party decisions, or whatever), there's a possibility that they'll become bitter about it. In the case of bad party decisions (actual or just percieved) there might even be bad blood between the players.

However, if you make it clear that there is no chance to save her, all of that bitterness is going to be redirected at you.

It's for these reasons that I say you shouldn't kill friendly NPCs too often.
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Boccaccio Barbarossa »

what was originally going to be a fun and lengthy post has unfortunately been cut short by the great advice everybody has put forth thus far. Really, it's good to see.

That said, I would like to suggest something a little more... drastic? And much, MUCH more sinister. :twisted: Essentially, you can give your self an ace in the hole.

If you know someone who is a gamer, but NOT generally in on your Ravenloft game, see if you can get them to help you. he plan is this: you introduce the NPC as this "new" player's character and have them play it up for a few sessions, while all the time, this player knows that his/her role in the story is to direclt serve the STORY and the DM's plan - to sacrifice the character (or if not, then to make the PC's that much more likley to get attacjed to the character.)

I am particularly fond of that idea. We have already done a similar thing in our gaming group. The dm made a bunch of pre-gens for a short MotRD game, where an ancient (magical, I think) sword was stolen from a museum. beofre the game started, the DM took all the players asside for a few moments, to make sure veryone got the same "false talk" but I was told that my character, who was supposed to be helping to recovwer the sword, recruited for his expertise, was actually the THIEF, and of course, my job was to make the search belieavable but cover my tracks long enough to smuggle the sword out of the country.

It was great! (wow... that was gratuitous! lol!)

All that to say - everyone: FANATSTIC advice, could not agree with you more (especially the part about it being very hard to predict!).
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

The idea of having her help the pcs overcome their sense of displacement and loneliness in this strange world is fantastic. This is a great way to make her valuable and likable without giving her any unrealistic abilities.

As for the death, I was under the impression that the pc on his way to the dark side would be responsible. If that is the case, then just follow the game and watch for the opportunities. If you want the death to linger, don't let it linger too long, or it may seem contrived. Allow the pcs to know she is going and give them some time to suffer over it and bemoan their inability to help, but don't nurse it out or you risk sacrificing the drama.

As for names, I've always been partial to:

Tabitha
Anna
Genny
Ginny
Sam (or Samantha)
Ammie
Trinity

Whatever it is, make certain the name is easy to pronouce and say often. Cumbersome or hard to remember names will result in the party refering to her as "the npc" or something similarly dismissive - which will undermind your attempts at promoting a relationship.