Twilight's Children Campaign Journal: Session 9

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Twilight's Children Campaign Journal: Session 9

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Finally starting to get caught up on my campaign's journals. Session 9 is now up at the usual place:

http://themistway.com/

Featuring:
All the World's a Stage
Gondegal
Feasting with the Falcons, part 1
and
the return of Cynthia DeGreives

Angst, terror, and more NPC cameos than you can shake a stick at:
Lemot Sediam Juste (IoT), Larissa Snowmane(DotD), Abernathy Gearling(RLDMG), Hugues Maigny(RLDMG), The entire council of brilliance (minus one) (Gaz III), Marcos Vedarrak(BoS), and many more...

We just played lucky session 13 this weekend, so there's definately more to come soon.

Comments always welcome.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I liked it a lot, as usual. I like the bal, where many people make cameos and hints for atmosphere (and future adventure hooks I assume) are given to the players.

Larissa is that greedy? :)

I like the way you dropped a hint to François de Pénible. I've been trying to put similar hints through my campaign so the guy is well known when I decide to play his CotND adventure.

Lady Cassilda de Castelle? Quite cool! Of course, she was ableto enter the Frat as a lady, with some pushing from family :)

I see you also recycle images from the Ravenloft books as you see fit. Where did you take the Vedarrak image from?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi Gonzoron,
A very nice story indeed. Very good of you to introduce so many NPC's at a party. These future adventure hooks will definitely stick in the mind of your players.

Jennifer
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Thanks! Yes, that was the plan, introduce a slew of future plot threads at once. The players were a bit overloaded at first with all the characters. But they did seem to enjoy it in the end.

Larissa's not greedy, it's a dangerous trip through the mists, and not a very enticing port to call on, so the price of a charter is steep. (That and the DM isn't ready to go to Nidala yet! ;) )

I definately want to play the Penible adventure eventually, and I needed a good friendly female NPC to hook him to in order to make it emotional, so I went with Marie.

I realized my mistake with Cassilda recently. VRA says she's a sorceress and a faculty member at the Uni, so I jumped to conclusions, forgetting that the Fraternity doesn't accept women. I guess I can either decide that Balfour pulled some strings (actually he IS the string) or that he's humoring the little lady, letting her THINK she's in the club while the menfolk take care of the important stuff without her.

Yes, I recycle a lot of the images, especially ones I never plan on using in their original form. Especially in a situation as difficult as this, I made sure that every NPC at the party had a pic, aside from servants, guards, and the band. Vedarrak is Ezekiel Preston from CotN:Ghosts, with his backdrop photoshopped out and a hawk brand put on his head copied from somewhere (Marla from CotN:Vamps, I think). You'll see the Alchemical Philosopher as Guignol, the Pistoleer as Marie, Esteban from CoD as Vetighetto, etc.

I also had to do a lot of photoshopping to de-creepify some of them. Angel's wolf-form had to go, as did duCire's candle, and Penible's chains(he's still creepy even without them). Cassilda had elven ears (she was the Dilettante PrC from HoL...). Hugues Maigny is combination of the bare-chested Caliban from RCS with the suit from the male Dwarf in RCS. I reworked the Gondegal pic from the Black Box by adding the "official KoS cloak" from VRA.

My favorite creation, however is Conrad Shadowlands. See if you can identify him. (he's heavily altered from 2 different sources). (I may have given this one away a while back when asking for critiques).
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Conrad did ring a bell, lemme think ...

And it's funny we use similar NPC, for ex. I did use Vetigeto too in my last session (a painting Ivana just bought and was showing off at a ball) :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

OK, since I'm sure you were hanging in suspense. ;)
He's mostly Baron Metus (picture from Bleak House). I took the clothes from Alexi (CoTN:Vamps) and added a nice Barovian mustache and grew out his hair. Which explains what Cynthia sees in him. :)

Vetigeto just rolls off the tongue so well, it's a shame not to use the name. I had a lot of fun playing his son as a pompous fool. I raided the art of the mists article for artists, but only ended up using him and Lady Blackstone, who I played as the typical "haunted goth chick."
Joël of the FoS

Thanks for the additional info. I wish I was that good with Photosop or similar thing!

Joël