How can S. contrast?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

How can S. contrast?

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hello,

Preparing my SB campaign, I reread most of the Gazs, and I think I've found some kind of misconception in them I would like to hear your opinions on:

Whatever realm S. describes, she tells of it always as dark and hostile.
Now, my thought is, how can she do that - to what reference does she contrast it. The Core has always been a bad place to live in, yet she describes every realms as if she had seen something better, which, assuming that she is a native Ravenloftian, is impossible.

So, is this just a necessary stylistic feature the authors took to preserve RL's dread flavour, or has S. indeed seen a better age of the Mists?

What do you think?

:)

Yours,

Rafael
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

Everyone always regardes their own homeland as best. And we don't know where S's Homeland is. All we know is that she's a native ravenlofter(or has been here most of her life) as she attended the uni. of dementilu. People get sent thare from all over ravenloft.Thus i say she comes from an Ilse of terror or a cluster and regardes it as Superior. Whare i cannot say but i suspect either nidilia, Ghenna or pharaizia as these are the most populated C,CaI and the ones which can be regarded as "best"(from a suficiantly biased viewpoint)
Le Noir Faineant

Moral Machivelli wrote:Everyone always regardes their own homeland as best. And we don't know where S's Homeland is. All we know is that she's a native ravenlofter(or has been here most of her life) as she attended the uni. of dementilu. People get sent thare from all over ravenloft.Thus i say she comes from an Ilse of terror or a cluster and regardes it as Superior. Whare i cannot say but i suspect either nidilia, Ghenna or pharaizia as these are the most populated C,CaI and the ones which can be regarded as "best"(from a suficiantly biased viewpoint)
Interesting... But doesn't she hint that she is Darkonese? :)
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

She is Darkonese, but she's also learned to look beneath. Dementlieu seems like a nice place, until you realize the secret war going on in the streets. She's learned to see that side of things, not the average, if somewhat dark life that others have. That's going to taint her view, especially since she would have spent her early years not knowing the difference.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Le Noir Faineant

Intersting thought, as well... Still, I wonder if Dementlieu or Pre-Requiem Darkon could have been THAT kind of paradise... :)
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Desdichado wrote:Intersting thought, as well... Still, I wonder if Dementlieu or Pre-Requiem Darkon could have been THAT kind of paradise... :)
Compared to the realization that the world has been built by dark forces around the sins of a single wicked individual... I think anything would be paradise compared to that.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Le Noir Faineant

Tobias Blackburn wrote:
Desdichado wrote:Intersting thought, as well... Still, I wonder if Dementlieu or Pre-Requiem Darkon could have been THAT kind of paradise... :)
Compared to the realization that the world has been built by dark forces around the sins of a single wicked individual... I think anything would be paradise compared to that.
You present a very nice approach here; this is certainly an idea I can perfectly accept. So S.'s writing tone is to be understood out of her bitterness of the world of her youth having been a big lie? - Very interesting... :)