Questions about the NWN Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Questions about the NWN Ravenloft

Post by alhoon »

Bluebomber4evr wrote:I have now joined a group of builders devoted to making a server based on Ravenloft--which I might as well announce here, is finally about to open to the public.
May I ask some more questions?
- How will PC death be handled? Respawn with an XP and gold penalty?
- How will logging out be handled? The PC is considered to go to a safe place and sleep, or he/she just stands there?
- Are there demi-human characters?
- Can we take natives? Outlanders?
- Are there any special feats?
- How is resting handled?
- Is there any permanent ability damage?
- Energy drain?
- Will there be wandering monsters in the wilderness?
- Are there NPC dialogs that open quests for a PC to play without DM suppervision?
- Is that the Beta Version or the finished version?
- How is arcane magic treated (I think on taking a wizard)? Supersticions? Power checks? How rare are scrolls? Can we learn spells from aquired spellbooks?
- Can a character make magic items (like in the HoU)?
- How usual are magic items? (I'm pretty sure the Vallaki blacksmith isn't handing out +2 swords, right?)

I'll return with more questions. :) :twisted:
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Questions about the NWN Ravenloft

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

- How will PC death be handled? Respawn with an XP and gold penalty?
Upon dying, your PC's spirit journeys to an oubliette in the near Ethereal. You must navigate this fog-shrouded maze to find a portal to return you to the Core. However, this does not return you to life. Your spirit must then find its body (which lies at the spot where you died) and rejoin with it to come back from the brink of death. If another PC casts raise dead or resurrection, you will instantly be brought back to your body, no matter where your spirit is. There is no XP loss. All gold carried and some of your items will be stored on your corpse. Note that it is possible for another player to loot your corpse while you are in spirit form.
- How will logging out be handled? The PC is considered to go to a safe place and sleep, or he/she just stands there?
We do not have a special logging procedure. You can log out wherever you like. However, it might not be a good idea to log out in the wilderness or a dungeon, as the next time you log in you might find yourself surrounded by monsters. There are inns you can stay in which are safe.
- Are there demi-human characters?
Yes.
- Can we take natives? Outlanders?
You can play natives, but we ask that your character not be native to Barovia. Outlanders are acceptable for the most part as well, though we ask that you do not try to make some of the more exotic races from some settings (i.e. half-giants and thri-kreen from Dark Sun, Warforged from Eberron, any of the wacky Spelljammer races, etc.)
- Are there any special feats?
Yes. We have adapted a handful of Ravenloft-specific feats (Warding Gesture, Sharp Eyes, Soothing Presence, and Willbreaker), and more will be added in future updates.
- How is resting handled?
You get a limited amount of rests per day (I think it's currently 3 per game day). Some places do not allow you to rest--i.e. you can't just camp out in the middle of the street in Vallaki.
- Is there any permanent ability damage?
I think a few monsters might do this, at least the damage is permanent until restoration is cast
- Energy drain?
Yes.
- Will there be wandering monsters in the wilderness?
Absolutely. And the monsters you encounter differ depending on whether it's day or night. :twisted:
- Are there NPC dialogs that open quests for a PC to play without DM suppervision?
A few. Most of the automated quests are simplistic--we designed it this way on purpose so it would make sense for people to be continually doing them. Nothing ruins immersion more than rescuing the King's daughter six times in one day. ;)
- Is that the Beta Version or the finished version?
It's our second beta
- How is arcane magic treated (I think on taking a wizard)?
I'm not sure if it's been implemented yet, but we plan on having townsfolk not taking too kindly to magic being cast in their presence.
Supersticions?
I think you'll find the Barovians to be suitably superstitious ;)
Power checks?
These will be handled strictly by DMs. Basically, the DMs can be considered the Dark Powers. Instead of an automated check, a DM's discretion can determine if you're crossing the line into darkness.
How rare are scrolls?
Few stores sell them, and those that do only do it in secret. Likewise, most stores won't buy them. You'll most likely only find them as treasure.
Can we learn spells from aquired spellbooks?
No, but you can learn them from scrolls. :)
- Can a character make magic items (like in the HoU)?
Not yet, but we're working on it.
- How usual are magic items? (I'm pretty sure the Vallaki blacksmith isn't handing out +2 swords, right?)
There is *one* merchant in Vallaki who sells a few +1 items at a HUGE mark-up. Otherwise, you'll have to find your magic items as treasure. The highest you'll ever find is +3, and those are rare in the extreme.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Algaris
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Algaris »

Oooh! This sound interesting. When it’s open to the public I might well be interested in joining up.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Algaris wrote:Oooh! This sound interesting. When it’s open to the public I might well be interested in joining up.
Well, you won't have long to wait. It opens up this Friday. :)

Hope to see you there!
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Which of the NWN game/expansions do you require?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Bluebomber4evr wrote: Well, you won't have long to wait. It opens up this Friday. :)

Hope to see you there!
:cry: I can't be there until 2-november. And generaly my access to the server will be sparse. I'll be able to log in a few nights in a row every 2 weeks. :cry:
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

David of the FoS wrote:Which of the NWN game/expansions do you require?
Requirements: Neverwinter Nights+Shadows of Undrentide+Hordes of the Underdark patched to v. 1.66, The "Community Expansion Project" (or "CEP" for short) v. 1.52, and our custom .hak and .tlk files which will be available for download soon.

*OPTIONAL* files to enhance gameplay (not required to play): our music files and a custom GUI which is reminiscint of the old DOS game "Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession."
Algaris
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Algaris »

Quick couple of questions what will the GMT coverage be like and will it be possible to play on my own if no DMs / players are logged on at the same time as me?
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Algaris wrote:Quick couple of questions what will the GMT coverage be like and will it be possible to play on my own if no DMs / players are logged on at the same time as me?
Well at least half of our development staff is from Europe, though I don't know how many of them plan on being DMs...those that aren't DMs will likely get on as players, I'm sure. :)

As this is a "persistent world," you can play on your own, even if you're the only one online (though we hope there will be more than just one person online ;) ). We have automated systems in place to run the world and things continue to run even if no one is on.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

REQUIRED FILES: The .hak files and the .tlk file needed to play can be downloaded here:

Self-Installer:
http://www.control.aau.dk/~agmi02-nobac ... eta1_0.exe

rar-packed:
http://www.control.aau.dk/~agmi02-nobac ... ak_1_0.rar

If you are unfamiliar with using custom content in NWN, I recommend you download and run the self-installer version, as it will install all the necessary files for you.

OPTIONAL FILES: The music files are not needed to play but greatly enhance the ambience. They can be downloaded here: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=So ... ail&id=443.

While this is an optional download, the music enhances many areas. The rars are extracted to your /NWN/music folder. For those unable to open rar files, contact us and we'll see if we can get you the files in another format.

Note: don't play the .bmu files with a program like Windows Media Player. Media player can corrupt them so they won't work in game.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

SERVER INFORMATION:
category: roleplay

Server name: Prisoner of the mist v1.0 - DE-Klubben

Module name: Ravenloft - Prisoners of the Mist v1.0

IP Address: 130.225.51.64
Port: 5123

This information was from June 1st, so the server and module name may have changed slightly. The IP address, however, should be the same.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well, you said you'll open the game today for the public. How did it go?

Please some info for all of us waiting the opportunity to jump in. :)
My DMGuild work!
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

I was at work for most of the day, but it seemed to go pretty well. Not bug-free of course...it seems that even though we smashed a bunch of bugs in our first closed beta, some new ones cropped up in the public beta. :x Ah well, I guess that's why many people in the NWN community say persistent worlds are always a work-in-progress. ;)
Fido
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Fido »

Went to take a look today, and I gotta say that I love the mood you guys created in the beginning with the Vistani and all..

Really great work.

(Do think Vallaki is a bit of a large town... Difficult to find people in there)
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I have NWN Diamond on order from Amazon, I'll check it out when I install it all.