Heroes of Horror in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Heroes of Horror in Ravenloft

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

I've been looking through the new book and it's quite impressive. I especially like the Archivist class (which has given me great ideas in updating the arcanist).

-I think I'll keep Ravenloft's fear/horror/madness system, which seem more indepth.

-I intend to use taint, but only as a result for spending too much time in Sinkholes of Evil, near extremely corrupt artifacts (oh, those poor Guardians), and certain evil outsiders.

-The Dread Necromancer is nice, but more likely to be seen as a villian.

-Interesting spells and feats.

-I wish they had gone more indepth in Dreams and Nightmares. Oh well, just use what they gave and toss in the Dreamwalking skill from MotP (setting some DCs for powers from my Nightmare Lands box).

-There are a couple of interesting monsters, as well as a lot of good advice for horror games.

I'm really pleased with it. It's a well done book.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Me too, I think it's a fun book. You smile reading a few parts obviously inspired by Ravenloft.

I also think the dream / nightmares rules is minimal compared to those we had in the NR 2e box. However, it is indeed a start.

Haven't read the PRC in detail, will do it now.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

I'll tell you what is most applicable - the different traits for villians! Most of them just scream failed-powers-check!
I especially like the ones about having no fingernails and the one about the lazy eye.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

I just picked up my copy today. From what I've seen...I like!

I think that the book is a great resource for any GM, for any setting. Especially the part about making good villains. That could be used for any setting, really.

I think it's also a refreshing departure from the typical WotC book that is filled to the brim with "crunch." Alot of times, I flip through all the new rules, feats, and spells in a WotC book and say: "This is great, but when would I really use this?"

The fluff in the front with techniques of horror and their sample encounters, however, are sweet.
:Ivana:
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Didn't a lot of those Deformity feats come from Book of Vile Darkness?
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

No, these are new deformities, to be used in addition to those in the BoVD. Same with the extra corrupt spells.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Ivana_Boritsi wrote: I think it's also a refreshing departure from the typical WotC book that is filled to the brim with "crunch." Alot of times, I flip through all the new rules, feats, and spells in a WotC book and say: "This is great, but when would I really use this?"
WotC has been a lot more fluff oriented the last 8-10 months. Even Magic of Ircanum (which is mostly new rules) tries to have background for every soulmeld...
Ah, I was telling you about buying HoH, but I haven't bought it yet :P - probably I will try amazon.fr this time.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Algaris
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Algaris »

I picked my copy up today and have just flicked through, so I can't say anything of much substance.

The things that have stood out for me so far are the sample encounter: To Grandmother's House. Grandma and Uncle Chortle seem like really cool NPCs and I'd love to try them out in my campaign. And the Grey Jester just screams IT at me; the picture fits the creature perfectly.

So far I'm happy with my purchase and am pleasantly surprised. I was half expecting high fantasy and comic book horror ala Van Helsing.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Ivana_Boritsi wrote:I think that the book is a great resource for any GM, for any setting. Especially the part about making good villains. That could be used for any setting, really.
While I haven't finished reading this book in its entirety, I would mostly definitely agree with your sentiments, Ivana. This book contains a lot more fluff, which proves to be very useful for any setting that I would want to incorporate these “horror” elements. I'm very pleased with the elements included in the first three chapters (how to add horror to your adventures/campaign), and the later chapters still hold plenty of ideas that can be easily transferred over to my games.

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Didn't a lot of those Deformity feats come from Book of Vile Darkness?
No, as Tobias correctly mentioned above, these feats are new ones in addition to the deformities included in Book of Vile Darkness (i.e., clawed hands, eyes, face, gaunt, obese). The only repetition was with the prerequisite feat (willing deformity). I, for one, was really happy to see these new feats included in the book. I had been disappointed that there hadn't been more when BoVD was printed.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Algaris wrote:I was half expecting high fantasy and comic book horror ala Van Helsing.
Actually, Algaris, I was somewhat expecting this same thing when I first read the reviews for this book. I have to admit that my expectations have been pleasantly exceeded by the content of the book.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

I want to know what the Taint rules are like. Any comments?

(Damn living in Australia where everything takes forever to arrive)
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Ryan Naylor wrote:I want to know what the Taint rules are like. Any comments?

(Damn living in Australia where everything takes forever to arrive)
They're an updated version of the ones from Unearthed Arcana, which were an update version of the ones from Oriental Adventures.

A character gains taint as either corruption (physical) or depravity (mental). depending on your main stat (Con for Corruption, Wis for Depravity) you can absorb a certain amount of taint before moving up to the next level of severity (mild, moderate, severe). Moving to Moderate and Severe give the character a bonus feat, gaining a level of taint adds other problems (penalties to checks or even stats) which are all laid out in a nicely explained list. Enough taint can kill the character or drive them insane.

I intend to add it to my Ravenloft game as a result of lingering far too long in powerful areas of evil (the aura of an ancient hag, a rank 3+ sinkhole of evil, long months near an powerful evil artifacts a la guardians). Not quite a replacement for powers checks, but a nice little edition to represent touching evil too closely while not commiting it yourself.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Ryan Naylor wrote:(Damn living in Australia where everything takes forever to arrive)
I'd be willing to bet you receive it before it arrives here in the heartland of the USA. I can count on every new release to be a minimum of two weeks before it works it's way here, even if I pre-order them. Our Canadian & European bretheren seem to have a much better supply connection.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

In amazon fr they had a shortage for a while, but still I was able to order it before 2 days and I expect it in around a week. Together with Rammstein's Rosenrot :D
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

i just picked up my copy this past weekend. i genuinely liked the book. i feel that the Powers check is a better constructed game mechanic though. what i plan on doing is blending in the aspects of taint into the Powers check as penalties/flaws that PC's and NPC's gain from failing a powers check.

for example:
Path of Corruption - Wereape
1st: +2 to Indimidate/growls when angry
2nd: natural AC +2/treacherous
3rd: 1d6 bite attack/murderous
4th: +8 to Climb skill/afflicted lycanthropy
5th: free class level/must kill once a day or suffer cummulative effects

granted, this could be tweaked a bit, but i use it for illustrative purposes.

in addition, i dont feel that some aspects of taint were fleshed out well. how much taint does someone recieve for a particulat act? i dont think that simply being in a tainted area should warrent a taint savings throw. also, shouldnt the bonus feats recieved for taint be Taint feats as oppossed to any feat that the character already has a prerequisite for?
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.