Halloween 2006

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Halloween 2006

Post by Kel-nage »

Who's running a Ravenloft game this Halloween then?

I know I am, hoping it'll be the first in a campaign of adventures (see the "An adventure in Richemulot" topic for more information about it).

It'll be my groups first introduction to the land of mists, so hopefully it'll be a good one :)
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I'll do.

Check HERE.

:)
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I'm planning on running House of Strahd as a one-shot.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Vorpal Dragon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Vorpal Dragon »

It would be good to know how that goes.

I will be running my Halloween/St. Crispin's Day on the 29th of October. Okay , not quite Halloween (or St. Crispin's Day for that matter [25th of October],) but it's close enough for me to focus the session espeically in this case.

My group have just taken their first steps into Ravenloft last session. I would have prefered later, but the tarot reading I did before the session indicated that it should happen... the Death card came up for their future (, which doesn't always mean an actual death... but the player's are going to wish that was the case...)

I went for the traditional, use the mists to draw them in... now they're absolutely terrified of mist (natural or otherwise), won't go near the stuff.
Never smile at a large winged reptile,
It might smile back...
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

We're sceduled to play on the 30th - session 14 of my campaign.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Scede
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Scede »

Looks the holiday weekend falls on my game day as well.
Wow check out my cool sig, its L33t Sauce.
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

I won't be running Ravenloft, but I will be running a horror adventure. This will be my group's first adventure in the Little Fears game, which I expect to be quite interesting.
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

My player's don't care it seems which is quite sad for me :(. With the lost of my campaign logs cause of that Virus (I did save my non RL campaigns logs at least, tx to Ultramyth), the apparent "we don't care about those logs" from my players and the fact they don't answer my emails, Ravenloft is but a bitter taste in my mouth lately. Almost makes me want to sale away all my stuff :cry: So nothing for Halloween (like if they even cared about where that day comes from)
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Mmmm... a vistani told me you could be enjoying the game around this period of time. She didn't say more.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Scratch my game.

My other half is taking me on a weekend break to Bath to go on the Ghost Walk there.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Vorpal Dragon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Vorpal Dragon »

I'm sorry to hear the news Charney. Ravenloft may not be to everyone's taste, but to have the players show at least an indirect active disinterest is disappointing. A DM's worst nightmare maybe... well things can still work out for the better, and I hope they do.
Never smile at a large winged reptile,
It might smile back...
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

I plan on running a Ravenloft campaign on Halloween. My players have actually played there before back in 2nd Edition. I am really excited to start of my campaign at level 1 and let them really experience the Land of Mists the way it was meant to be presented. Before in our campaigns they never really played that well and wound up dying quite a bit or worse. This year I have told them to play smart and they can expect to live. I am not to blame for bad rolls though. All of my players are almost as excited as I am and I think it will be a great experience for all of us. We are even getting to play in an old manor house that a friend of mine owns, so it should really set the atmosphere. Good luck to all of you in your campaigns whether you are a player or DM. :)
Last edited by Guardian of Twilight on Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artent
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by artent »

My players just wrapped up evil eye and they should finish up servants of darkness that week. I should probobly jack up the danger in that one since it will both be the halloween game..and the last game before we roll up new chars and restart in Ravenloft in 3rd edition.
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

>>I am not to blame for bad rolls though.<<

Of course the GM always has the right to fudge an outcome if it is going to ruin his or her game. I'm not saying you have to cheat yourself or the players by outright lying to save them, (though sometimes that is your best option) but simply not allow a poor roll to cost them their lives.

Instead one can always impose negatives or disadvantages to reflect the situation. In combat a player might instead become crippled in a limb, lose an eye, take brain damage or come within a hairs breadth of death and walk away changed. (apply an appropriate maddness as if they'd failed a check) Alternately the character might lose something (of someone) important to them - escaping death at some great cost. I understand that scenarios should be dangerous so as to create tension and that fear of failure, but the result of failure need not always be the task of rolling a new character.
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

unfortunately various work schedules prevent me from running my game on holloween but I am doing one on the 25th and the 1st of Nov. So in a way I will be hitting it during the season.
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.