Mini-netbook idea

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mini-netbook idea

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I've had an idea for a mini netbook, or even just a thread here.

Why don't we take an NPC who has never been detailed and everyone makes up their own version of their stats. For example, if we used the Jongleur, everyone creates different stats for him.

Just a thought.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Bloody Morgan
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Bloody Morgan »

Nice idea. I'm not confidant enough in my statting to actually submit anything straight off, but I'd love to see this kind of thing work.
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

I like it. It could also feature 3E updates for characters who have only been done in 2E, like Nostalia Romaine or darklords who weren't in SotD and haven't been gazetteered yet.
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

Sounds great. I especially like Dominique's idea of the 2ed darklords/important characters to 3rd edition. It would be somewhat semi-official too, which would hep (if you see what I mean...)
MatthiasStormcrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by MatthiasStormcrow »

Yeah, it's a neat idea. And there's plenty of characters to choose from, like Dominique said. It would be interesting to see people's different ways of doing things with some of the cookie-cutter, weekend-in-Hell darklords who've never gotten a 3E update; for instance, you could probably do a whole netbook of people's ideas on how to make Meredoth a useable and interesting villain, and so on.
"You see, what you thought was a gibbering abomination from the pits of Hell was really just a fruitbat. We get 'em all the time in Salt Lake."

-Benjamin Dean, Doomtown Ep. 8
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

I like it. I always felt there were too many 2E characters who never got an update.
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

So would we vote for the best version or a committee decide which version to put in the book or would there be 5 or more versions of the same character?
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Or we could do an NPC a month like we do a domain.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Alanik Ray
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Alanik Ray »

What about the Gentleman Caller? :twisted:

That would be nice. :wink:
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Excellent Idea. I'm not sure about the different versions though... I'd rather like different NPCs with one or at most two versions each. We could also update or revise the existing stats from the3E RL books(e.g. what feats Jander sunstar has and update the 3.0 ones to 3.5...)

There's already two nice threads on the WOTC boards with 3E stats:
RL NPCs
RL Darklords

I'm sure Greengiant and the other authors will gladly contribute their stats to the netbook .(Though some of Greengiant's NPCs already have other stats in 3E books) The problem I see with this or rather the question is: Is this ok with WoTC and the FoS? Not that I am personally concerned but the FoS seems to be a bit reluctant. At least that's what I understood from parts of the 100 chickens thread.

The best way to implement this IMO would be to have a NPC stats subforum here where you post your build and it is discussed and refined by the community and/or the editors. (As on the Dicefreaks boards)
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

You've got a good point Giamarga :(

Well, do you think, if we talked to WotC and promised not to give backstories, just the core character stats, that it would be more possible? Or would it just make the book redundant?

I'm with you on the multiple versions too. Too many versions would just clutter the books.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Note that i actually don't know if this would be a problem? We'll have to ask the FoS members and/or someone who knows mroe abotu the legality of thesethings.

Over at dicefreaks we sure do post a lot on WoTC material, but the Gates of Hell free publication tried to keep the mention of WoTC fluff/property to a minimum. (I.e. most of the Archdevils are realworld inspired and can thus be used but Gargauth a FR specific is only mentioned shortly)
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Drinnik's first remark on detailing undescribed characters would probably be legal as no information would be copied and it would not be encouraging people to download something rather than buy a book and update themselves.

Updating darklords and pre-published characters is rocky, however. WotC's site is infuriatingly hard to navigate in that respect (they keep alot of information burried so unless you know exactly what you're searching for there are no direct links, like the SRD).
Early on in the release of 3.0 WotC cracked down on sites updating old 2E adventures and products, that would be game information without any of the necassary fluff text. That would seem to apply here.

We're trying to get ahold of WotC for clarification but it is a slow process. I'm probably not the best person to be discussing this matter as my knowledge of copyright laws and the situation is limited to Canada, but I'm still erring on the side of caution.
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

The link detailing their policy:
http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/ESDpolicy.rtf

You'll notice the use of "proper names" as property of WotC.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Well but we wouldn't be converting whole 2E products. Just generating/updating NPC statblocks with perhaps some short (and possibly copied) flavour attached. That is not quite the same thing as updating a whole sourcebook.

I also very much like the style of Greengiant's conversions where he notes the relevant sources to the NPC.