A question about an item...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

A question about an item...

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Hello, again. Some of you may have read my post on the Wizards board about my character getting the engagement ring back from his deceased beloved's family. (My post is under Penknight on said board. Here is the link... http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=511906). The way the DM and I have it worked out in the campaign is after a certain level has been reached which will be determined by the abilities and its worth, the character will return home to Mordentshire and encounter his beloved's parents who will give him back the engagement ring. Both the DM and I thought that it would be kinda cool to have some abilities on the ring that his fiance's spirit might put on it, kind of in a way have her spirit and love watching over him protecting him. Neither one of us really know what to do with it, and I thought that some of you may have an idea. We toyed around with a ring of resistance, ring of defense and other things, but still have nothing solid. Also, the ring only works for him, since it is watching out for him. I appreciate any assistance you all can lend me.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

One idea may be to ahve the ring alert the character whenever something with the Mist descriptor is near. Something liek a detect mist ability - the thing vibrates whenever near something with the mist-descriptor.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

How about (and this is from a complete newcomer to Ravenloft...I'm not even sure if this is "possible" in Ravenloft lore) a Ring of the Haunted? My idea is that if the character wears the ring, it is as if he gains the haunted feat for free (as per the Ravenloft Players Handbook). Just an idea though.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I like the answers so far, but maybe I can help you out by telling you about his stats and feats, since a lot of his back story is on the Wizard site I mentioned above. His name is Nathaniel Hawke (L/G alignment) and his stats are Str. 12, Dex. 16, Con. 16, Int. 18, Wis. 16, Cha. 18. (I really did role these. It was just my lucky day). The reason his Strength score is only a 12 is beause he was just an average guy in Mordent. The Gazetteer III talks about how strong they are, so I went for what I kinda consider a Mordent average male strength, as he never really planned on adventuring. Just settling down with Sarah and raising a family. He is level 1, but my DM liked what I had done with my campaign and followed suite. In my game if you give me a good background that I can really use to help sculpt a great story that my players and I can enjoy, I give a free feat starting off. If you go above and beyond the call, I go so far as to give two free feats. They can be chosen from anything. Following this, I crafted what I think to be a pretty darn good story for him. The feats that I have chosen are... Spirit of Light, Haunted, Piercing Gaze, and Iron Will. (I also gave him the grey eyes to add to his look, making him a "Child of the Mists"). I hope that this info helps you all out that are trying to help me out. Thanks a lot for all your assistance and great advice so far.
Last edited by Guardian of Twilight on Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

Ah, didn't notice he already had the Haunted feat. Right, that's pretty useless then.

Hmmm...from the description of Nine Lives (I know, I know, another feat) from VRA, that might be a possibility for the ability the ring gives you. However, I don't know if that'd fit with your ideas. If you wanted to avoid the Charisma drain, maybe it applied to the beloved instead and to restore it, a restoration would have to be cast on the ring instead...okay...I'm going a bit off the beaten track there...
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

In my campaign the villain, (a vasalich who'd killed his wife rather than lose her when she discovered what he'd become) always carried his wife's wedding band on him, in a silver case. He never wore the ring, because he'd see visions of her and hear her voice when he did so ... and while she was nothing but loving and forgiving to him, his own shame made her presence unbearable. (though he missed and longed for her, which was why he kept the ring close) At any rate; when worn by anyone else (eventually the vasalich would be destroyed and the characters would get the ring ... I fully expect someone to wear it) the ring would give them a sense of premonition, as the spirit watched over that individual. This meant he would occasionally sense danger before it struck, making him immune to backstabs, warning him indirectly of poison in foods, (a warmth in the ring, or sense of foreboding) and generally anything else of that nature which would add to the story. (she'd occasionally warn the individual of ambushes, give them a bonus to detect lie, etc)

As a side effect the character would dream of the woman on a regular basis, which could leave him heartbroken. (DC 15 or -1 to all actions for the day) Additionally the spirit had laid a claim on him which other women would detect. (-4 to attempts at seduction, persuasion or other appropriate skill checks) The spirit in the ring believed anyone who wore it was her husband and would react occording to this belief. (I considered having a series of bonuses or negatives apply to the ring wearer dependant upon the mood of the spirit and its opinion of the wearer's actions)

At some dramatic point you might have the spirit manifest to save the character, but destroying the ring in the process. (basically one "get out of jail free card")

As an aside, if the ring were ever worn by a woman, perhaps the spirit would begin influencing or simply attempt to take over that individual, in a desire to be with her loved one. Not intentionally maliscious, the spirit is simply in love and wants more time, not realizing the harm she could do. To facilitate this, perhaps any woman seeing the ring unattended would have to save (DC 18?) or put it on.

Just some suggestions, and ideas off the top of my head. It depends how much of the spirit you want contained in the ring. Me, I'd probably design a pesonality for it and determine how cognitive (and thus how influential) it was on a case by case basis.

Or, go simpler. In my campaign VanRichten wore his wife's wedding band, which gave him Stoneskin once per day. (non-activated, it renewed each day at sunrise - VR was mostly unaware of the effect)
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Thanks for the replies Jack and Kelnage. Those are both ideas that I had never thought of taking the ring, especially the feat thing. My DM isn't wanting to go the feat route with the ring however. The using the ring as a way of possesing another woman is extremely enticing as well, but it doesn't work for this situation but I may use the future in one of my campaigns :wink:. If there are any other ideas please let me know, and I really appreciate everyone taking the time out to lend me some aid on this. Oh, and few more questions: how would the letting you know of mist creatures work? Would it be a set DC? And finally, are there mist bane weapons; and if so, how would you describe their physical appearance in a campaign? Thanks again.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Isn't there Mist-feat in VRGttM that lets you note the presence of Mist creatures?
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Giamarga wrote:Isn't there Mist-feat in VRGttM that lets you note the presence of Mist creatures?
There is and it's called Mist Sense. Now, I like the idea of the ring doing this, but like I said, my DM doesn't want to go with giving the ring a feat. *sigh* I really wish he would though. The ring giving him the curse of being a wanderer of the Mists... man that would be cool. Have it her spirit making him wander, aiding others to ensure that something like this (and other Ravenloft stuff) doesn't happen to anyone else again. That would really help with him being a Knight of the Shadows, too. Not to mention another reason for him to join this prestigious group. Maybe I can coerce my DM into rethinking the ring giving me the feat thing.
Last edited by Guardian of Twilight on Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthiasStormcrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by MatthiasStormcrow »

Why doesn't your DM like the idea of the ring giving you a feat? It's not that much different from a Ring of Evasion or any number of other standard magic items that give a user a feat, or very closely mimic the effects of a feat.

I'm not sure how powerful the ring is supposed to be, but what about having it grant a chain of abilities as the game progresses? It might start out granting Misted Memory - and then at some point, your character uses the feat to call upon some memories or skills of his beloved, conveyed through the ring...but in doing so, he opens up the channel allowing his fiance's spirit more direct ways to help him - so Misted Memory might be replaced by Mist Sense, along with a +? deflection bonus to AC, or perhaps some other ghost-themed spell-like abilities - able to make a certain number of attacks per day as though the weapon was ghost touch, or able to use telekinesis or mage hand a certain number of times a day. All of which, of course, would be explained in terms of his fiance's spirit helping him out - the spirit moving objects for him, or guiding his attacks, or putting her [incorporeal] self between him and his attackers.

Of course, having such an active protective spirit isn't without drawbacks. She might be turned - by accident, even - or controlled by a particularly sadistic necromancer. And heaven forbid she attract the attention of Azalin, or get too close to Gryphon Hill... Just because she's dead doesn't mean you necessarily never have to rescue your loved one. ;)
"You see, what you thought was a gibbering abomination from the pits of Hell was really just a fruitbat. We get 'em all the time in Salt Lake."

-Benjamin Dean, Doomtown Ep. 8
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Thanks again for the help, Matthias. I had my DM read your post and he told me that in another campaign he had played in the players and DM had poor game balance and everything magical gave them feats and it jaded him. I guess "too much of a good thing" comes in to play here. He has agreed to let me try it out and really liked your idea. We both really liked your idea of having to play the hero roll for the beloved's spirit. He even kinda chuckled at that point. Scary stuff when your DM chuckles, let me tell you :wink:. I can honestly say though that my gaming group is a great bunch of guys that prefer by-the-book gaming with a few house rules such as the one I use on the character background and even my DM agreed. So thank you again Matthias; my hat's off to you.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Well I like the idea of granting perhaps one extra feat at starting level but you already got two. Perhaps that's why your DM doesn't want to grant another extra feat. (BTW Do you play with the PC wealth limits?)

You could just say that those bonus feats (Piercing Gaze, Haunted) are granted by the ring. I bet your DM wouldn't be against that.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

In most campaigns that aren't Ravenloft we kinda use the chart as a guideline to make sure that the characters aren't exceeding what is normal. However, in Ravenloft where magic is a lot less common, we tend to just use common sense. Obviously at 3rd level you won't be running around with chainmail +1, longsword +2, boots of speed, 5 potions of extra healing, and a gargantuan bag of holding. We like to look at the NPCs and kinda use them as guidelines. The point of the game is to feel like the odds are overwhelming and yet through ingenuity and luck, you pull through and you feel like your character really accomplished something. The classic sruggle of Light v/s. Dark where the forces of Darkness seem to be extinguishing the spark of Light. But in Ravenloft, things are not always as they seem. That is why all of us play there and and have such fond memories of the exploits of our characters trying to make a difference in such a cold, dark world.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

I meant because of the magical Ring for your starting character. I'm not good at pricing magic items but granting a feat shouldn't be too cheap...
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ah, I understand now. I am sorry I misunderstood you the first time. You are right I think about it not being cheap. At least I wouldn't think so. Of course I have no clue as to how you would gauge the cost on something like that.