General VRGttM discussions (likely spoilers)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

General VRGttM discussions (likely spoilers)

Post by Jack of Tears »

To keep the other thread from bleeding horribly away from topic, I've designed this for general discussion of VanRichten's Guide to the Mists.

To begin, I draw your attention to the section on Vulnerabilities. During the introduction Laurie describes an experience she had with what appears to be a mist fugued vampire. However, from the little detail we receive I am given to liken the subject of this encounter to Merilee Markuza. The tactics and description are very close to those given elsewhere. Did anyone else notice this? If it is Merilee, the suggestion seems to be that she has been snatched up by the mists for their own nefarious ends. If it isn't, then I have to critisize the book for what is once again an unneccessary addition of a damned (as in cursed) child. While children are useful fodder in horror tales, the inclusion of one in just about every guide written by the twins starts to get rather old ... one is given to suspect that the horrors of the night are in a rut.

So, what is the concensus? Has Merilee been snatched up by the big bad mists, or is this just another childish creature of the night? If it is Merilee, what are peoples thoughts on this turn of events?
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I haven't got that far into it yet. I did take it to a printer and have a nice bound copy (with the color cover page) for about $10 US. I'm thrilled that we have this and that is was decided to release this work to us fans for free. I'm struck at the difference that editting makes. They warned us that it was not a polished work. So far, I haven't found a page without a spelling error, an inconsistancy (usually names, ie. Smythe/Symthe, Ursula/Urusla), or the worst fact-checking (Bluetspur was never at the center of the Core next to Falkovnia, that was G'Henna, and Animated Fog should be able to move horizontally are a couple I've found so far). All that is 'looking a gift horse...', etc, but I wonder if S&S would let us do an edit on this material, and then re-release it?
Last edited by Catman Jim on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

Does anyone know what those scarlet storms are?
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Actually, given that the bloodsucking child encountered in the Mists could see herself in a mirror, I'm not convinced that was a vampire at all. Perhaps she was a juvenile vampyre, or possibly some still-less-human creature disguised as a human girl by a Mist-granted ability. :-/
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

So sad, my computer can't seem to process the download at all... not that I was particulary looking forward to Guide to the Mists, but still....
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

^
|
|

The document won't work with Adobe Acrobat reader of Versions 5.0 or less. It looks really good with Reader 6. :)
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:twisted: This book could really become my 3e RL favourite... The more I dwell into it, the more I like it... :twisted: Players beware! :twisted:
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

I may have just been reading way too much Lovecraft lately, but is it just me or could you very easily do a creepy "Colour out of Space" adventure with goblyn fog?
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

Dominique wrote:I may have just been reading way too much Lovecraft lately, but is it just me or could you very easily do a creepy "Colour out of Space" adventure with goblyn fog?
That is, in fact, where I got the idea.
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

In that case, you're quite possibly my new personal hero. :wink:
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Q: Who has Jaquiline Mortari's original head?
A:: The Telling Man!

PS. Congrats to you Authors, I like the book very much so far. I'll tell you more when I finish it.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

alhoon wrote:Q: Who has Jaquiline Mortari's original head?

PS. Congrats to you Authors, I like the book very much so far. I'll tell you more when I finish it.
TELLING MAN: "Ooo... That's a pretty head... Can I have it?"
STRAHD: "I dunno..."
TELLING MAN: "I'll trade you for some pretty string!"
STRAHD: "Yellow and pink?"
TELLING MAN: "How about red with glitter?"
STRAHD: "Deal!"
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Fun crossing of ideas :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Gemathustra wrote:

TELLING MAN: "Ooo... That's a pretty head... Can I have it?"
STRAHD: "I dunno..."
TELLING MAN: "I'll trade you for some pretty string!"
STRAHD: "Yellow and pink?"
TELLING MAN: "How about red with glitter?"
STRAHD: "Deal!"
:lol: Oh, to be a player in your campaign, Gema...
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Desdichado wrote:
:lol: Oh, to be a player in your campaign, Gema...
I see you're a glutton for unending horror and unspeakable fear.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula