The Official Kargatane Q&A thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
artent
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by artent »

The september release isn't supposed to be a totally complete version from what I've heard. Does this just mean it's done...just hasn't been edited much, or is it just going to be the text without much formatting...or will there be no illustrations? or some combination...could a chapter possibly be missing even?

Basicly..whats the general process when creating a book of this type..and at what point in that process is this book being released?
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

They've called it unedited. I would think that it means that the book has been laid out and has all of it's chapters. At worst it hasn't been edited and is missing art. If it was missing chapters they wouldn't both releasing it, same if it wasn't organized.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Ryan Naylor wrote:
It also occurred to me that there might be another child of the Gentleman Caller in the form of Inza. We never know who her father is and yet she's tormented by good deeds.
I thought Spectre of the Black Rose implied Gundar was. I could be wrong. I doubt the Vistani (full bloods) would get accidentally involved with fiends.
Being filled with dreadful curiosity, I reread SotBR and I didn't find a mention of this paternity. Does anybody have a page reference?

Also, if I may, Gundar being a vampire, that would have gave her dhampir powers or similar oddities she never showed. Ryan, are you sure?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
DarkDuo
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DarkDuo »

Tobias Blackburn wrote:They've called it unedited. I would think that it means that the book has been laid out and has all of it's chapters. At worst it hasn't been edited and is missing art. If it was missing chapters they wouldn't both releasing it, same if it wasn't organized.
The book had mostly completed the editing process, so although there will probably be some editing lapses, the work has not been totally unedited. It will also be in .pdf format, because art director Rich Thomas ran it through a basic layout process. It will actually "look" like a book, not a bunch of manuscript-quality text. As for the presence or absence of artwork, I have no knowledge about that, since that's handled by the art department at Arthaus.

Jackie
The problem with poetic justice is it doesn't know when to stop.
-- Barry Hughart, Bridge of Birds
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Thanks for the info Jackie :)
Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:Hmmmm... something nasty happens to the twins... Gennifer is impregnated by a mysterious gentleman caller and Laurie gets an Evil Dead experience of her own with an undead treant? LOL
Or simply, we find out what Gennifer's trigger is.[/quote]

Nah, I prefer my theory, it's more fun ;)
Swallow your soul!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I thought Laurie was the werewolf!
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Am I sure about Inza: Well, no not any more. I was, but I'm clearly misremembering. I think I'm confusing her being born on the night of Gundar's death with her being Gundar's child.

So everyone forget it.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Ryan Naylor wrote:Am I sure about Inza: Well, no not any more. I was, but I'm clearly misremembering. I think I'm confusing her being born on the night of Gundar's death with her being Gundar's child.

So everyone forget it.
I wouldn't forget it quite yet. There was also the fact that Gundar killed her "real" father (Magda's husband), and IIRC he died almost a year before Inza was born. The exact date she was conceived might be hard to pin down, but if Magda's husband was Inza's father, he sired her within the last weeks of his life. The conflict with Gundar around the same time casts long shadows over Inza's conception.

Also, the Wanderers who survive her betrayal sharpen a stake for Inza's heart out of the largest shard of the Wanderer's cudgel. So if she wasn't a dhampir, those of us who counted her as one are in good company. :lol:
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Don't worry Ryan! When I read your comment, I was wondering if the K had another plan for her.
DeepShadow wrote:I wouldn't forget it quite yet. There was also the fact that Gundar killed her "real" father (Magda's husband), and IIRC he died almost a year before Inza was born.
IIRC from SotBR, Inza's father was killed "by Gundar's men" a short time before she was born.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Ryan Naylor wrote:Am I sure about Inza: Well, no not any more. I was, but I'm clearly misremembering. I think I'm confusing her being born on the night of Gundar's death with her being Gundar's child.

So everyone forget it.
She was born on the night Gundar died, I remember reading the passage which read something like "The storm that raged through Gundarak that night seemed to have filled the girl with it's rage" or similar.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Who is the author of the Smothering of Reason Dread Possibility for Lamordia and could said author please clarify its consequences for continuous supernatural effects such as the incorporeality of wraiths and the effects of magical diseases? As written, one would be tempted to read it as saying that wraiths and spectres will sooner or later be winked permanently out of existence and that the effects of magical diseases would eventually be suspended.
The cure for what ails you
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

cure wrote:Who is the author of the Smothering of Reason Dread Possibility for Lamordia and could said author please clarify its consequences for continuous supernatural effects such as the incorporeality of wraiths and the effects of magical diseases? As written, one would be tempted to read it as saying that wraiths and spectres will sooner or later be winked permanently out of existence and that the effects of magical diseases would eventually be suspended.
Andrew Wyatt is the author of the Lamordia chapter. Unfortunately for the chances of getting the authoritative answer you wanted, Wyatt's long since moved on to the realm of real life.

Personally, I would suggest your interpretation is somewhat incorrect, in that a summoned/incorporeal creature always gets a new check each day. (Which means that even with the Smothering in effect, such a creature has a flat 2% chance each day of winking out -- and once it does has a 98% chance of reappearing each day thereafter. Rinse and repeat.)
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

On the off chance that the writers of the books are still around... Why didn't the Knight of the Shadows receive any cure spells? Wouldn't it have made sense to give them some form of healing magic since they often work alone? Plus, it's a nice way of damaging undead if you need to. :)
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:On the off chance that the writers of the books are still around... Why didn't the Knight of the Shadows receive any cure spells?
That chapter is once again Andrew Wyatt's handiwork.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Ok, thank you. Does he happen to visit these boards and answer questions, perchance? That was one thing I always wanted to know about the Knight of the Shadows. :)
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb