The Official Kargatane Q&A thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

These days, the only Kargatane I know still checks this forum is me, though I believe Ryan Naylor may still be generally active, and I know Chris Nichols pops his head in now and again. Joe Bardales is an active poster over at ENWorld, and Andrew Hackard's priority is the Munchkin line over at SJG. As for Stu Turner and the Andrews Cermak and Wyatt, they haven't been active in gaming since the Kargatane dissolved half a decade ago, as far as I know. (I can't be considered active either; it's been nearly a decade since I gamed more than one or two sessions a year.)
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Ok, thank you for this information, sir. If I may ask, could you postulate a theory as to why the Knight of the Shadows doesn't cast cure spells? I know that as a DM myself that I could just add them, but I tend to think there might have been a reason he chose to omit them. And sir, thank you so much for your groups influence on Ravenloft. It really means a lot to not only myself, but countless others.
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

For information's sake, Ryan's most recent post here was in February, Chris's was in 2005, but I beleive he did contribute ideas to the NS Gaz, though I don't know what form that took or when. Stu's was in October, though he did help me get the catalogue back on its feet via email since then. Andrew C.'s last post was also in '05, and if the other Kargatane members ever registered here, they used handles that I don't know.

(Of course posting isn't the same as reading, so who knows ... )

*This is all publicly available info obtained via searhing for posts by specific authors, by the way, lest anyone think I track such things behind the scenes.*

EDIT: and regarding the KoS, I don't have my books with me at the time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have cure spells out of tradition. Did they have them in 2e? Someone check Champions of the Mists...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:For information's sake, Ryan's most recent post here was in February, Chris's was in 2005, but I beleive he did contribute ideas to the NS Gaz, though I don't know what form that took or when. Stu's was in October, though he did help me get the catalogue back on its feet via email since then. Andrew C.'s last post was also in '05, and if the other Kargatane members ever registered here, they used handles that I don't know.

(Of course posting isn't the same as reading, so who knows ... )

*This is all publicly available info obtained via searhing for posts by specific authors, by the way, lest anyone think I track such things behind the scenes.*

EDIT: and regarding the KoS, I don't have my books with me at the time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have cure spells out of tradition. Did they have them in 2e? Someone check Champions of the Mists...
The copy that I have isn't all that great. It states however that "they cast priest spells with an ability equal to paladins. This does not, however, give them the ability to turn undead."

I kind of paraphrased what I read. If someone has more clarification than what I have, I'd be grateful to hear it.
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:Ok, thank you for this information, sir. If I may ask, could you postulate a theory as to why the Knight of the Shadows doesn't cast cure spells?
You'd have to ask the author.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:The copy that I have isn't all that great. It states however that "they cast priest spells with an ability equal to paladins. This does not, however, give them the ability to turn undead."

I kind of paraphrased what I read. If someone has more clarification than what I have, I'd be grateful to hear it.
yes, I just checked it, and you're right. the 2e KoS kit gave them paladin spellcasting, which my trusty 2e Bar Mitzvah present PH reminds me was simply a subset of the priest spell list, including the Healing sphere, which contains the cure spells. So a 2e KoS did have cure spells.

Not being the author, I can't say for sure why they lost them in 3e, but I'll hazard a guess: recall that 2e's Domains of Dread decreed that there were no native Ravenloft paladins. As such, the 2e KoS sort of filled that void as the "Ravenloftish paladin." The 3e RL books reversed that stance and allowed any PH class to be native, including paladins. With honest-to-goodness native paladins about, the KoS needed to evolve into a different niche to avoid becoming redundant. So my guess is that Mr. Wyatt chose the KoS spell list with an eye towards making them distinctly different from paladins, rather than copying direct from 2e.

Again, pure guesswork, but it makes sense to me...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

If it makes you all feel better, I am still here. I just don't post very often since my PhD ate my life. Damn PhD.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Thank you, sir, I appreciate your thoughts and you're probably right in your views on the class. And for Dr. Naylor, it's a pleasure to see that you're still around. :)
-Mordentish proverb
DilisnyaRevenge
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DilisnyaRevenge »

Ryan Naylor wrote:If it makes you all feel better, I am still here. I just don't post very often since my PhD ate my life. Damn PhD.
Ugh... Just working on a Master's thesis myself an that is painful enough. I can only imagine... :shock:
Andrew Cermak
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Andrew Cermak »

Mangrum wrote: As for Stu Turner and the Andrews Cermak and Wyatt, they haven't been active in gaming since the Kargatane dissolved half a decade ago, as far as I know.
Hi John, hi Ryan, hi everyone else.

I am still active in gaming, and have been in a weekly game for almost 4 years now, sometimes as a DM, sometimes as a player.

I'm not still active in Ravenloft, though, which is why I rarely stop by. I find 4E to be a big improvement over 3.X in general, but not for Ravenloft specifically, so my interest in Ravenloft as a game world has admittedly waned.
stu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by stu »

Mangrum wrote: As for Stu Turner and the Andrews Cermak and Wyatt, they haven't been active in gaming since the Kargatane dissolved half a decade ago, as far as I know.
Howdy all,

I'm still checking these forums occasionally - it's sort of nice seeing that the interest in Ravenloft continues, and that the net-material continues to develop. A bit like Andrew C, I'm still gaming regularly (I just finished running a 4-year Mage campaign) but haven't played Ravenloft in a very long while, so don't keep up on the detail of the various netbooks.

My 8-month-old daughter consumes a lot of spare time as well :-)

Stu
Stu, previously of the Kargatane
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

stu wrote:My 8-month-old daughter consumes a lot of spare time as well :-)
Congratulations on your new little one! :-)
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"