The Official Kargatane Q&A thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Getting back to S as a clone, now I'm wondering how the bracer worked. One thing that comes to mind is that, if her body dies her soul is transfered into the body of another of Azalin's clones, and the new body reshapes itself over the course of a few days. Does anyone else have any theories on this?

So we also have Death as S' brother, which means his "niece" is running around with the ghoul tribes of Il Aluk. While he would never admit the connection to anyone (assuming he even knows he's a clone), I think it would be interesting if he would have sent S' daughter out to kill her (in an attempt to thwart Azalin). Of course, knowing the Kargatane, I have little doubt that there would have been a reckoning between the two of them sooner or later.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

AHA! I had guessed a few things right over the course of the Gaz series. I had suspected that S had died in Verbrek and that the bracer was to make sure she did not fail in her task, to protect her continuing life, at least until she finished the daunting task ahead of her. I had also worked her out to be an anti-van richten, but I pushed that aside as I thought it sounded a little to silly and instead had her kegged to be some clone of Van Richten or another member of his family.

As Azalin is all to interested in escaping the demiplane, the end to all of these doomsday gazetteers must be him seeking yet another way out. I see him utilising the GC, Tribe of Hyskosa, Hyskosa himself abd the children of the CG to meet this end. Hyskosa disappeared, but if I rememebr right, he was kegged to be a Zarovan, meaning he could wilfully travel through time using them mists, plus it was hinted at a good while ago that we hadn't heard the last of him. I wouldn't be to surprised if Hyskosa himself was to make an appearance later in the Gaz series.

If I am right in thinking that Hyskosa was to make an appearance?

As for Azalin not dealing with the vistani encountered by S, why should he act against them? He has no reason to, especially if he wishes to exploit them later :twisted:

In my own ToUD plans, I have the CG, Hyskosa, Malocchio and several other characters (including Styrix) playing key roles in the fallout. The campaign as I have planned it also scars the world of Ravenloft forever with the extinction of 1 race of humanoids, the sudden inclusion of another across the Core, and the death of certain key characters that many would think as all important to the setting. Hell, some key characters are to be killed off in the prologue campaigns, should I ever get them fully written and a group to DM them with ;)
Swallow your soul!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

I like changing the Subject line.

Post by alhoon »

Should we leave this thread to the Q&A of the Kargatane and take our speculations about S in another thread?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: I like changing the Subject line.

Post by Willowhugger »

alhoon wrote:Should we leave this thread to the Q&A of the Kargatane and take our speculations about S in another thread?
Unless you phrase it as a question.

But yes...back on question

1. Anyone have an idea what the ToUD IS supposed to be?
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Desdichado wrote:I am certainly not the person to ask for this, but would you (and the others) be interested in a permanent Q&A thread?
That's fine with me. Ask away.
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Willowhugger »

Ryan Naylor wrote:
Desdichado wrote:I am certainly not the person to ask for this, but would you (and the others) be interested in a permanent Q&A thread?
Sounds spiffy.

Hey, Ryan, what was your favorite part of Van Ritchen's Aresenal?

Also, could you maybe tell us what you think of the Weathermay Sisters and their future as heroes in your view/where they are now learning-fame wise?
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

Since we've come full circle in talking about all kinds of "future plans"....

I worked with Ryan on Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead, and then on the Guide to the Shadow Fey. As you know, I got to work in the Guide to the Mists.

The -next- Guide after "Mists", was supposed to be Van Richten's Guide to the Serial Killer (tentative title). This was a book that I had been pushing for a while and got a thumbs up on as a future project. Understand that the book was never formal planned, green-lit, or anything like that. But I still have the outline that I submitted.

Since I had the unique pleasure of working on all of the d20 VR Guides thus far, I was trying to subtly push a continual growth of the Twins and their development as they continued on their adventures.

If you notice in VRGttWD, the Twins get alot of help from people (like Alanik Ray). The Introduction starts out with Laurie as a little girl.

But in VRGttSF, you see Gennifer as a teen. Also, I liked how Brett King's background with the Twins made them alot more independant and capablle. I was inspired by that, and wanted to follow up with what Brett did with the Twins and push it a bit further.

In the Guide to the Mists, you'll see a young adut version of Laurie in the introduction. And now, you'll see the Twins really taking the reins - becoming alot more hardened by their environment.

So, what I had in mind was to have each introduction to the d20 VRG start with a flashback of one of the twins further along in time. What I tried to do in Guide to the Mists was to start to make Gennifer and Laurie more distinct characters. One slight drawback I always felt in the d20 VRGs were that Gennifer and Laurie sound alot alike. Here, I was trying to nudge it a bit - making them grow and develop along their own paths.

So that's that.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Well I guess we're all looking forward to reading that once VRGttM is available. Perhaps someone can come provide the new stats for them sometime...

I have a question related to that: They said they would make the unproofed manuscript available. I'm sure there'll be some fans who can proofread and even edit the whole thing. But might any of you guys be interested in helping with that?

It would be great to have a completed VRGttM available, sort of like the WGR7 Ivid the Undying download for the Greyhawk campaign...
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The Giamarga wrote: Perhaps someone can come provide the new stats for them sometime...
Yes, please! In VRA, Gennifer is just a 2nd level mage, but in VRGttSFey she throws to the Teg "A volley of magic missiles" and also casts locate object spell.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Ryan Naylor wrote:
:D Splendid!

Since I am pretty sure the almighty mods have already checked this post *nods at Wiccy's post*, best would be if they contacted you if they're interested. *I don't have to the authority or the legitimity to decide what goes on their boards.*

But I'd welcome that a lot! So, it will be much easier to contact you and the others than it was before. :) Would you also be interested, Rucht?

:)
Lucius
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Lucius »

I don´t know if you can tell me something about this, but, did the Kargatane had plans to detail the events or at least the results of the major plots presented in the Gaz series (like Hazlik´s ritual, Drakov´s Invasion, etc)?

Thanks!
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Well, to bring out some skeletons from an old thread . . . :wink: Any way we could get further hints on who the GC's other children were? As I recall, we pegged Malocchio (obviously), the Jongleur, and Gabby's half-brother in Falkovnia whose name I can't recall, but not the other two.

Thanks!
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I did ask a question earlier, but in case it gets lost in the mists, I'll ask it again. Was Hyskosa to appear in the Gazetteer series? I feel that since dukkars were key to Azalin's schemes, his presence would have been an influential one on S as she travelled.
Swallow your soul!
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

alhoon wrote:
The Giamarga wrote: Perhaps someone can come provide the new stats for them sometime...
Yes, please! In VRA, Gennifer is just a 2nd level mage, but in VRGttSFey she throws to the Teg "A volley of magic missiles" and also casts locate object spell.
I noticed that too...
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Dominique wrote:Well, to bring out some skeletons from an old thread . . . :wink: Any way we could get further hints on who the GC's other children were? As I recall, we pegged Malocchio (obviously), the Jongleur, and Gabby's half-brother in Falkovnia whose name I can't recall, but not the other two.

Thanks!
The Beast in the Karatakan Hills would be one.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".