Joël's campaign (now: Har'Akir desert arc!)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Joël's campaign (now: Har'Akir desert arc!)

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Ladies and gent,

I have posted my own campaign in the Veranda.

You'll see I like to keep a fast pace rythm.

Those wishing to comment are welcome, of course :)

Good reading,

Joël
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Very nice stuff, Joel. I really like the way you weaved together several adventures, without making it seem too forced. I guess having a base of operations for the party helps. As they get to know the same people in town, you can plant the plot hooks.

Thanks for the map of Evensong's study. I plan to run that one sometime and will probably use that map, and the suggestion of adding NPC's to the mix. I never liked Evensong as darklord of Liffe either. He definately seems to be pocket domain material.

Sorry the Carnival intro didn't work out as planned. I know the feeling. Carnival worked well for me, but I've definately been on the recieving end of stuff like, "Oh, a 100' skeleton with stairs up its spine, floating in green mist? That's nice. Why are we here again?"

(I really liked the touch of Isolde ripping up the Carnival flyer).
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Thank you Ron for the comments.

About the "Isolde ripping off a flyer", I like to add to my games as many flavor details that I can. I think it's important as the players eventually make links with it, and they get more in the stories if the description and other NPC's reaction are colourful.

Other comments ?

Next session posted in a week or two.

Joël
Shadowsworn
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Shadowsworn »

I read it and thought that it was quite good. I especially liked how you managed to have multiple adventure plots going at the same time. Too bad that Carnival didn't work out for you so well, though. Hope you put up the next one soon! :)
"Death is the great equalizer"

Proof that the Grim Reaper is a communist.
Joël of the FoS

Shadowsworn wrote:I read it and thought that it was quite good. I especially liked how you managed to have multiple adventure plots going at the same time. Too bad that Carnival didn't work out for you so well, though. Hope you put up the next one soon! :)
Well as you saw, Carnival came back (not as a revenant) for Halloween and that worked better.

As soon as I finish typing the next session, it's on. May be next weekend.

Thanks for the good comments :)

Joël
Joël of the FoS

Session 5 is in the smoking room!

Joël
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Heh, does anyone ever believe Timothy's "yawn, I was just sleeping off in the woods while those nasty wolves attacked. Did I miss anything?" routine?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

lol, indeed. But somehow I was figuring they would not attack him and instead watch him carefully, or fearing he would be too tough.

But they attacked :)

That led to many interesting spying and theft missions later in Karina, and a different outcome for the dog fight of Evil Eye.

Joël
Shadowsworn
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Shadowsworn »

Another good campaign journal. :) I noticed that the spelling and grammar in this however are way below the level of the first journals, though.
"Death is the great equalizer"

Proof that the Grim Reaper is a communist.
Joël of the FoS

Shadowsworn wrote:Another good campaign journal. :) I noticed that the spelling and grammar in this however are way below the level of the first journals, though.
Thanks!

I'm now writing the next part: they meet Toben the many and enter Karina.

For spelling, I've very sorry about it. I'm French and make many English mistakes. I have a friend reviewing my texts, but it seems he didin't see everything :( If anyone wants to help, please let me know!

Joël
Joël of the FoS

Ladies and gentlemen, the sixth part is online.

After their near defeat with Nathan Timothy, they wander Invidia to stumble on a ghost village (where strange undead attack), resume their walk to Karina where they talk with Matton, and then enter Karina during the Harvest Festival where bizarre accidents occur and they have visions of a night serial killer ...

Joël
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

yay, Toben!

I like oil pouring under the door. Very scary, especially when they don't know who's out there.

It's good to play up the Slasher's motivations beyond random killing. But even as written "he" isn't a random psycho killer. I don't know if it's stated in TEE or only in RLMCII, but the Slasher specifically targets those she thinks are harming children. (Due to her own childhood tradgedy.) But with a crazy vigilante, that category can be stretched to nearly anyone. Maybe she saw that rogue stealing from a poor parent, who needed the money to feed his or her children?

Falkovnian soldiers are always easy targets, since they can do so many nasty things. But I would avoid streching to harlots unless you want to play up the Jack the Ripper angle. With so many JtR clones in RL, (the Kantora Strangler, Sodo's henchman, the Slasher...), it's important to make them distinct, especially if you plan on useing more than one in your campaign.

(IMC, I had the Slasher kill one of the town guards because he was arresting a fugitive and taking him away from his children.)
Joël of the FoS

gonzoron wrote:yay, Toben!

I like oil pouring under the door. Very scary, especially when they don't know who's out there.
That freaked them out, as they knew zombies would not do that kind of thing.

Thanks for the MS comments, it's a good idea to indeed focus on children. (and the way it is in TEE, IIRC, it is a random killer at midnight).

That said, in the next session (7th), the important "children" part of the background is found by the PCs. At this point, I just wanted them to think of a senseless killer, and slowly making them change their mind about the MS.

Joël
Joël of the FoS

Ladies and gent,

Session # 7 of my campaign is in - investigation in town, leading up to the Dog Fights in session 8.

Joël
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wow, that's a lot of NPC's you got there! Should be fun if the players can keep them all straight. The portraits should help there.

Penible's reaction to the Carnival is great. Just the sort of thing he'd hate.

Glad you found my berzerk bear idea useful. :) I think it's important to establish Mallochio's power over animals. As written, the only time I think it comes up is with the cart incident at the docks.

I LOVED your Slasher messages written in blood on the wall. Really nice.

Are you going to have an explanation for the cut scene dream sequences? I expect the players will want one eventually.