Joël's campaign (now: Har'Akir desert arc!)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Re: Joël's campaign (now: pursuing an evil cult in Hunadora!

Post by Joël of the FoS »

TheSalemlord wrote:Just finished the first part "1-8"

Loved the intro, Bakhna Raknas!, Omg, I've never had a good idea to use those little monsters and create mayhem as you did! I also liked the way the Carnival gets into the equation.
I'm impressed by the development of events in the Evil Eye, especially in the Dog Fights and the way you introduced famous NPC's to the players.

Nice job! :D gotta keep reading!
Thank you! Comment appreciated.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Band2 wrote:A good read.
Thanks!
Interesting about outlawing Fireball. I never thought of it until you mentioned it, but I tended to steer players away from invokers to less flashy mages like diviners and enchanters.
That is really cool, by the way. My players gets more creative in this game, compared to the other fantasy one we play simultaneously.
Great pictures of the witches. Very creepy.
Aren't they? :) They gave the players the creep, with the selected music I used in these sessions. They really feared the strangeness of these girls.
And the Falkovnian smith too. Having just finished reading Death Unchained, which had Falkovnian soldiers who appeared to have failed power checks, made me wonder if the characters return for him, will he have a surprise ability or two by then.
Ah Helmut, I love this caracter :) Players love to hate him.

Indeed, the power check for him is a great great idea. Any suggestion?

There is also in my game this rumor that the Falkovnians will soon put their hands on the Karina Midnight Slasher, and most probably torture/execute him for his crimes. The PCs have somewhat befriended the Midnight Slasher. I haven't thought of what trap the Falkovnians could set to catch the elusive killer, but Helmut might play a part in this... :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

I just added session 65 and 66 to my campaign journal.

Here's the direct link: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/TheV ... _55-66.pdf

---

End of the exploration of Medraut's dusty (and deadly) laboratory

... and then an explosion! What are the Whispering Way cultists doing? Battle!

... How easy is it to discuss trade with a Red Cap ?

... Do we really know where we land when we jump into the Hunadora gate?

... A circus? :lol:
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Joël's campaign (now: final battle w evil cult in Hunado

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

hooray, more journals!

I love Traps and treachery too. Some great stuff in there. Do you have the 2nd volume as well?

Love the foul-mouthed redcap. neat idea! We usually have kids around when we play though, so sadly I can't use it. :) Reminds me of a character from the Wild Cards series.

A lot of magic flying around in this battle. Does no one use weapons anymore? ;)

I'm sorry, is it wrong that I find that little effigy cute?

Yeah, I guess that skinstealer is a bit more scary than the bear-like skin thieves of Ravenloft. But I will always love the furry ones. You expect to find muscle and bone behind skin. finding fur is just weird enough to be unsettling.

Nice job tying in the Rasputin module to Ravenloft and the Whispering Way. Looking forward to seeing how your "circus" handles it.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Re: Joël's campaign (now: final battle w evil cult in Hunado

Six new game sessions from my campaign, available here : http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/TheV ... _67-72.pdf

Their fight against evil cult Whispering Way continues ...

... in frozen GE Siberia (!) in search of the mad monk ... Rasputin (!!!)

... and a strange isolated camp, with strange GE machines!

... and deadly creatures !

Will they survive? Barely!
Joël of the FoS

Re: Joël's campaign (now: more evils in GE Siberia!!!)

Two new sessions journals online!

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/TheV ... _73-74.pdf

This includes:

... the end of the Whispering Way evil cultist story arc (that lasted about 15 sessions). Cult defeated!

... some fun correspondance with Nostalia Romaine :twisted:

... a vistani immersion for the priest Petrak (was in need of a :cookie: )

... and the start of Bleak House! Dark experiments started! You'll see many details that are not similar to BH's Dominia. Those idea are borrowed from Deepshadow's contribution on the Sea of Sorrow report (soon to be released! :) ). I will try not to say too much before the release of this part of the FoS report!

Joël
Joël of the FoS

Re: Joël's campaign (now: end of WWay arc, start Bleak House

Yesterday's game, with Heinfroth's masks :)
Attachments
IMG_7613.JPG
IMG_7613.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 3907 times
Joël of the FoS

Same crew, mask less ;)
Attachments
IMG_7614.JPG
IMG_7614.JPG (2.37 MiB) Viewed 3907 times
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Catching up on these, finally...

Fun stuff in Siberia. I like the PC's assumption that the church is one of a torture deity. ;)

Like the dark haired woman watching from the well. Creepy! (had you watched The Ring recently?)

Brave Exigu going down the well to stake the vampires.

The party seems huge sometimes. (I see 6 players in the picture... I've lost track of who are PCs and who might be NPCs in the party. Are there more?) I suppose that's nice in that you don't have to pull punches on things that knock people out of the fight (horror effects and charms, etc.)

Quite the battle with Rasputin indeed! Maybe they should stick to their own world. Ours is too dangerous. :) (beware the dreaded Russian Pew!)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Catching up on these, finally...
Thanks, I do these journals for me (useful DM tool) and for my players, but it is always appreciated to see someone else is reading this massive document :)
Fun stuff in Siberia. I like the PC's assumption that the church is one of a torture deity. ;)
Heh heh. Our world can be strange too.
Like the dark haired woman watching from the well. Creepy! (had you watched The Ring recently?)
Yeah, she is some kind of evil cold water fey. I could have borrowed images from thsi movie indeed.
Brave Exigu going down the well to stake the vampires.
This caracter is indeed quite brave. Not sure the player would do the same ;)
The party seems huge sometimes. (I see 6 players in the picture... I've lost track of who are PCs and who might be NPCs in the party. Are there more?) I suppose that's nice in that you don't have to pull punches on things that knock people out of the fight (horror effects and charms, etc.)
Yeah, six PCs and six players (Macrazbunare, Varadan, Exigu, Austizel, Petrak and Tora). That is quite cool.

Our quorum to play a game is four players (when it happens, some players will play two caracters - their's and another). I always found it cheesy that in some campaign, an absent player's PC is out of the game, usually for very strange reasons. A group of PCs is balanced and all strenghts are needed.

NPCs list: Kendra and a few russians (Father Sergius, Nadja and Dmitri). But the russians stay in Siberia when the PCs come back. Kendra will soon disembark this journey too. To come back later I guess as the PCs like her ;)
Quite the battle with Rasputin indeed! Maybe they should stick to their own world. Ours is too dangerous. :) (beware the dreaded Russian Pew!)
;) at pews... Extremely bad climb dices at a very bad moment.

But there are also strategical errors on their side (not engaging a caster in hand to hand). The setting impressed them and they feared going for Rasputin.

I had a lot of fun collecting Rasputin's quotes for the battle. Many are real quotes.

---

Overall, that unplaned Siberia detour was a lot of fun! I do not reget adapting this Pathfinder's adventure for my game.

---

I think you still have to read 73-74 (see link up there).

Sessions 75-76 97% finished, waiting for my player's comment.

This is now in Bleak House.

Joël
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Session 73:
I feel like I should recognize that pic you used for Ardonk but I don't. Looks like a Talon Dunning, but from where?

"A werewolf tribe that is not war oriented"? Good luck with that! Do you have something in mind?

The restoration ritual is very cool. Nice use of the vistani's time-affinity to flavor it! Going to steal that for sure....

I didn't remember that bit about the girl's soul they need to return. I would think that would be a pressing concern for them! I mean, it's not an emergency, but the longer they wait, the longer she lives as a changeling!

"a bunch of goofs on the Internet". Hey! That's a bunch of extremely good-looking goofs, to you! ;)

[DM's note on Weissritter is missing the session number it references.]

Hmm.. Laurie and a von Zarovich... there's a nice pairing! (I just noticed that that guy's name is "Weissritter" - litterally "White Knight" in German. cute.)

Ah... OK. glad they made it back to Canondale pretty quickly after all.

Very cute note from Daclaud to McClintock! Good idea!
Joël of the FoS

Thanks for the comments, Ron!
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Session 73:
I feel like I should recognize that pic you used for Ardonk but I don't. Looks like a Talon Dunning, but from where?
Indeed, most probably taken from Talon's website. The pic was named Naaman, but I felt this serious caracter worked well for Ardonk Szerieza, for which there are no pics available IIRC?

Ethelild (Ardonk's clerical sister) is also from Talon.

I have a bank of 7 500 RL or creepy images, ready to be used in a campaign. All classified by theme folders, of course.
"A werewolf tribe that is not war oriented"? Good luck with that! Do you have something in mind?
No, compared to other more militant Verbrek tribes, this is just a werewolf tribe looking to be normal werewolves in the forest. Not looking for control over the whole area through war or politics like most of the other tribes. Just hunting stuff passing by and be happy. I don't know if they will be back, nothing planned so far for these unless thay plan to get rid of Nathan's heart (isn't this a cool werewolf relic? :) )
The restoration ritual is very cool. Nice use of the vistani's time-affinity to flavor it! Going to steal that for sure....
Thanks. I had fun planning this, and used the opportunity to pass cool lore on vistanis. Including of course, the Lunadi night where they leave the camp for mysterious reasons. The player was left alone in the deserted vistani camp and quite uneasy with the situation ;) It was very cool.

For the ritual itself, I liked the idea that they would travel back in time and changed how things happened, with the interposing vistani staff.

I also liked the idea of an uncanny mist travel while led by Marcella, the young vistani, and the fact that Madame Eva was letting Marcella do the powerful ritual, hinting that Marcella is very powerful too.
I didn't remember that bit about the girl's soul they need to return. I would think that would be a pressing concern for them! I mean, it's not an emergency, but the longer they wait, the longer she lives as a changeling!
This comes from a while ago, when they faced Azenwrath in Canondale. At the same time, they learned things about the feys with Martha's changeling story (which was taken as is from VRGttF)

Indeed, it took a while to get back there, but they had more pressing things to do I guess :)

So this soul button return closed this little fey story arc, and it was fun. IMC, I wanted feys to be in the background and liked the idea that they would be a bit threatening (not your pink butterfly fairy).

Another try at creating a spooky atmosphere IMC.
[DM's note on Weissritter is missing the session number it references.]
Thanks! Session 10. That was while going through Evil Eye.
Hmm.. Laurie and a von Zarovich... there's a nice pairing! (I just noticed that that guy's name is "Weissritter" - litterally "White Knight" in German. cute.)
NPC straight from LoftB. I used him to make the PCs jealous of the twin's attention. Worked well :)
Another NPC seeded apparition, but no plans for this guy for now.

He is named in the Von Zarovich Legacy book they got a while ago, but they didn't make the connection yet :)
Very cute note from Daclaud to McClintock! Good idea!
My version of Bleak House is full of spidery webs ;)

I loved the idea that Daclaud would excuse not "finding the time" to visit Mordent's sanitarium :) Isn't it a letter from a caring professional? :D

And that Van Richten's trap to get him to Dominia was planned in all fine details. You'll see more letters from Daclaud in the next sessions.

When Van Richten came to consult McClintock for his nightmares troubles, McClintock showed the letter to Van Richten. After reading it, and recognizing his own symptoms, VR was now hopeful that his nightmares could be treated ... *grin*
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Joël of the FoS wrote:Indeed, most probably taken from Talon's website. The pic was named Naaman, but I felt this serious caracter worked well for Ardonk Szerieza, for which there are no pics available IIRC?]
Yeah, it's a shame for such an important character, but as far as I know he was never illustrated.
Ethelild (Ardonk's clerical sister) is also from Talon.
Yup, I recognized the Anchorite of the Mists from VRA. :) IMC, she was "Sister Acquilina," a minor character who helped the PCs defend a town of Falkovnian refugees.
NPC straight from LoftB. I used him to make the PCs jealous of the twin's attention. Worked well :)
Yup, I remember him. I just never noticed the joke in his name before.
My version of Bleak House is full of spidery webs ;)
Mine too, if I ever get there. :)
Isn't it a letter from a caring professional? :D
And so generous, to pick up patients at his own expense!

Session 74:
You were surprised they cooperated after Nostalia threatened to poison their loved ones if they didn't?? ;)

"Dark Tower Rd" That's not ominous at all! :D

Ahh... now that I've read Trial of the Beast, I see the parts you kept and put in earlier, the Crooked Kin, Vorkstag and Grines, the seasage effigy, etc....

The crew of the Mercy speaks only Vassi? That's odd. Aren't they in the wrong sea for that?

Beautiful picture of the cliffs of Dominia!

Ooh, that picture of Heinfroth is chilling (if you know the character) and nicely ambiguous (if you don't). I could see him as an earnest and humble doctor or as an emotionless killer. Well chosen! Who is the actor? He's lot more physically imposing than the pic of him on his wolf throne from Feast of Goblyns!

Was Macrazbunare's connection to Dominiani mentioned before? If so, it must have been so long ago, I'd forgotten. Was it in backstory or in actual ingame play?

How did your players take to the railroading of forced sleep and waking up in a cell? That's one of the things I worry about in Bleak House. The asylum parts can be really unfun if the players don't like having no options.

An apple? Sliced, I hope. Otherwise, it would be hard to eat in the masks....

I like the doctor White and Black pics too. I'm always wary of using photos, usually sticking with drawings, but you always find good ones.

How did you run the "treatment rooms"? Taking the players aside, or all at once?

Looking forward to the next chapter...
Joël of the FoS

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: You were surprised they cooperated after Nostalia threatened to poison their loved ones if they didn't?? ;)
I really didn't know what they would do, as they really hate that situation of being forced to cooperate with evil :)
"Dark Tower Rd" That's not ominous at all! :D
Yeah, I know, kept the module name for the street, not the building. I also found the "dark tower" name for this place to be silly.
Ahh... now that I've read Trial of the Beast, I see the parts you kept and put in earlier, the Crooked Kin, Vorkstag and Grines, the seasage effigy, etc....
Yeah, used bits here and there as needed for my Whispering Way campaign. I didn't like the other Carrion Crown adventures as much as to use them in their entirety. But I kept the bits I thought were cool :) You might see soem more of these popping here and there.
The crew of the Mercy speaks only Vassi? That's odd. Aren't they in the wrong sea for that?
I know, I know ... ;) Module say they speak a foreign language, that is the first thing that came to mind. Hopefully, I'll never have to explain this :)
Ooh, that picture of Heinfroth is chilling (if you know the character) and nicely ambiguous (if you don't). I could see him as an earnest and humble doctor or as an emotionless killer. Well chosen! Who is the actor? He's lot more physically imposing than the pic of him on his wolf throne from Feast of Goblyns!
Can't remember, found on a random search on google... He's really great, I think!
EDIT : Wait, did a google image search and found his name : http://www.ciaranhinds.eu/movie.php?cle=mov35 He is an irish actor, pic is from Ivanhoe.

Same here, I didn't like the BH picture. I wanted him to be imposing and confident, like a doctor ;) I like his piercing gaze.
Was Macrazbunare's connection to Dominiani mentioned before? If so, it must have been so long ago, I'd forgotten. Was it in backstory or in actual ingame play?
No, it's someting I added while crafting this game's scenario. It was logical that young Macrazbunare (a Gundarakite noble) would have been at Gundar's castle once in a while, accompanying his father. I used the PC background to add new info to the player, and to make a cool story.
How did your players take to the railroading of forced sleep and waking up in a cell? That's one of the things I worry about in Bleak House. The asylum parts can be really unfun if the players don't like having no options.
It went very well, they accepted it without complain! It is not often that I use that kind of mechanism, so it went OK.
An apple? Sliced, I hope. Otherwise, it would be hard to eat in the masks....
Indeed, I also noticed this problem with the adventure's masks as written.
I like the doctor White and Black pics too. I'm always wary of using photos, usually sticking with drawings, but you always find good ones.
Beautiful picture of the cliffs of Dominia!
Thanks, when I make a scenario for a game day, I finish with music and pictures. Sometimes, I'm inspired with the pic I find and change my secnario to make it fit.
How did you run the "treatment rooms"? Taking the players aside, or all at once?
Yes, I took them one by one, for their treatments ;) After, I told them they could go back to the table, without talking of what just happened. They where making plans to escape, so they had other things to talk about, until all were treated and morning came ...

Next game Saturday. Game 75 and 76 are written, still waiting player's comments before I publish them here.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Joël of the FoS wrote: Can't remember, found on a random search on google... He's really great, I think!
EDIT : Wait, did a google image search and found his name : http://www.ciaranhinds.eu/movie.php?cle=mov35 He is an irish actor, pic is from Ivanhoe.
Oh, wow, it's the guy that plays Mance Rayder in Game of Thrones! Didn't recognize him with the beard.