Joël's campaign (now: Har'Akir desert arc!)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Re: Joël's campaign (now: end of WWay arc, start Bleak House

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote: Can't remember, found on a random search on google... He's really great, I think!
EDIT : Wait, did a google image search and found his name : http://www.ciaranhinds.eu/movie.php?cle=mov35 He is an irish actor, pic is from Ivanhoe.
Oh, wow, it's the guy that plays Mance Rayder in Game of Thrones! Didn't recognize him with the beard.
Ah ok, that's probably the path I followed to find this image, an at large GoT images search.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Joël's campaign (now: end of WWay arc, start Bleak House

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

For the record, I added the latest 2 files to the Veranda page and made an announcement.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Joël's campaign ( Bleak House!)

And here are four more journals of my campaign : here!

See for yourself what is really going on in Heinfroth's Dominia!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Joël's campaign (now: stuck in Dominia! - Bleak House!)

Strange, clicking on your link doesn't seem to work for me. (Am I the only one with this problem?) But I was able to download the file directly from the server and read it on my PC. Maybe it's corrupted in some way? Can you send me the original file by email?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I did get to read it, though... great stuff!

Glad to see the players really got into the paranoia and madness of the place.

The backpacks full of rocks was a great twist. I must use that next time my PCs "conveniently" find their missing gear.

I especially loved the doppelganger replacement bit. You may recall I did something similar once with the twin brother of one of my PC's, but it seems to have worked even better for you than it did for me. Well played!

LOL: I was about to say that mouse message was confusing and then your DM note said the same. :)

Nice misdirection with the addition of Natalia. A pity that neither of her names start with "R". ;)

Interesting twist with Colin. I wonder where the story will take him.
Joël of the FoS

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Strange, clicking on your link doesn't seem to work for me. (Am I the only one with this problem?) But I was able to download the file directly from the server and read it on my PC. Maybe it's corrupted in some way? Can you send me the original file by email?
Strange, downloadworks well for me. Sent!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

OK, false alarm...ish. The link works fine in IE and firefox. It works fine in Chrome if you save the file and open it in Acrobat. It's only Chrome's internal pdf viewer that won't open it for me. *shrug* I don't know what, if anything, I can do about that.

ETA: Sigh.. it's all .pdfs, not just this one. Nevermind! Something wrong in my chrome settings, maybe.
Joël of the FoS

OK, I'm preparing next Sunday's game and I notice I'm late here in posting my journals. Sorry guys, here's sessions 79 to 82.

Session 79 - so the players stole a boat in Dominia and escaped. But it won't be smooth sailing! They explore the Mercy boat. Arrived in Martira Bay, they get arrested as they arrive in the port, but that part will go well : the autorities are somehow fed up with the local Clinic and they need independant mercenaries to stop it. They get inside the clinic and eliminate the (very evil, you'll see) staff, as well a getting new clues.

Session 80 - The Vampires Strikes Back, cool street attack. They leave for Rivalis, and pass near Necropolis.

Session 81 - they agree to eliminate a bug in the Rivalis Crystal Garden (the large greenhouse). Then Van Richten visits Rivalis's cemetery. Later, they reach the Van Richten estate and meet the staff.

Session 82 - Bleak House adventure starts, and the streak of murders starts. Fun parts, the players loved it.

You'll notice I changed a lot of things to Bleak House, fleshed some things, and added a lot of twists too.

Joël
Starscream
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Joël's campaign (now: end part of Bleak House!)

Post by Starscream »

I am happy I found this post! In the veranda section of the site the log finish at session 74 and what a cliffhanger!
I've downloaded the new sessions and tonigh I will read them!

You and Gonzoron are my actual muses for my campaign :D
Joël of the FoS

Starscream wrote:I am happy I found this post! In the veranda section of the site the log finish at session 74 and what a cliffhanger!

On behalf of Ron and me, thank you!

Does it show that we have fun doing this? :)

Please do not hesitate to comment / question!

Joël
Starscream
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Starscream »

Joël of the FoS wrote:
Starscream wrote:I am happy I found this post! In the veranda section of the site the log finish at session 74 and what a cliffhanger!

On behalf of Ron and me, thank you!

Does it show that we have fun doing this? :)

Please do not hesitate to comment / question!

Joël
you are welcome! I am reading the bleak house sessions and I love them!
It's so interesting that I have to use Heinforth and his asylum in my campaign. I am taking notes :D
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

lol about switching their note for a blank paper. I love little theatrics like that.

Tallgallows? That's an ominous name. But I see from Mistipedia that it's canon.. chuckle.

Love the banter of VR calling them good friends and the PCs insisting on acquaintances. :)

Hooray for corpse flowers! I knew they had a place in Ravenloft somewhere.

Nice use of every single Flora section from the Gaz's. ;)

That map of Rivalis is perfect. Where did you find it? (You're not fooling me with the painted-on title. :) )

Wow! I am totally using your ghost schedule when I run this...

Yikes! Ingrid's transformation certainly earns the name "horrific appearance." Well described.

Sorry, I just got pulled out of the story.... is that... Loki? :lol: (as Davvyd. See, this is why I don't use celebrity photos. I know it works for you and your group, but I think for me and mine, we would be distracted by who is "playing" the character and start making silly references to their other works..)

VERY nice explanation of why VR didn't know what was happening. Consider it stolen.

nice ending point... can't wait for more.
Joël of the FoS

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:lol about switching their note for a blank paper. I love little theatrics like that.
When I was young, I wanted to be a magician, and in D&D, my first character was an illusionist :)

A little sleight of hand is always fun. The players loved it when they realized what happened in game and metagaming wise
Tallgallows? That's an ominous name. But I see from Mistipedia that it's canon. chuckle.
That’s indeed canon from the Gaz. And they already met another TallGallows in Levkarest. Someday, they’ll make the connection!

Well, soon when they go back to Levkarest for the Gargoyle of The Cathedral adventure.
Love the banter of VR calling them good friends and the PCs insisting on acquaintances. :)
That was hilarious indeed.
That map of Rivalis is perfect. Where did you find it? (You're not fooling me with the painted-on title. :) )
A search on the web, as I often do when I do not find what I need in my pictures data bank. Most probably with “D&D Halfling village”. It’s from this guys who makes great maps  http://www.mikeschley.com/128067/126783 ... -city-maps

You make me think I should give him credit, will do in the next version.
Wow! I am totally using your ghost schedule when I run this...
I knew it would be useful to another person. The adventure has a lot of holes in the ghost schedule, and I had to add a lot.
Yikes! Ingrid's transformation certainly earns the name "horrific appearance." Well described.
That was very cool, with the ghastly pics found on the web to add to the dread.

Poor Rudolph!
Sorry, I just got pulled out of the story.... is that... Loki? :lol: (as Davvyd. See, this is why I don't use celebrity photos. I know it works for you and your group, but I think for me and mine, we would be distracted by who is "playing" the character and start making silly references to their other works..)
Ah ah ah, I know more or less what TV shows or movies my friends listened to, so I use other things. I would not indeed pull a famous character from a TV show if I think my players have seen it.

I have a picture data bank with over 8 000 pics! I constantly save pictures I find cool, many of them from PDFs I buy (ex. Pathfinder), or online. Sometimes I search with famous shows or movies like “game of thrones” and extract picture I think are cool and not too obviously linked to this show.
VERY nice explanation of why VR didn't know what was happening. Consider it stolen.
My pleasure! Another hole in the adventure that needed a patch.
nice ending point... can't wait for more.
Around the end of September, as we do not play during the summer.
Starscream
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Starscream »

Ok, I've read all! and I must admit, I always overlooked Bleak Hous, becouse of the "bad" review I have read.
But your sessions prove I am wrong, and I think I will use it somewhere in my campaign!

thank you!

ps: just a crusiosity, but Dr. Green? I didn't recognize the image and I couldn't find anything on google? What creature is he?
Joël of the FoS

Bleak House got bad reviews? Not sure! It got reviews for being very complicated to implement, AFAIK, but great reviews. It got 4,3 on 5 at the Kargatane web site. The middle part is weak but I did remove all the crappy parts for my game, as you now know.

Too bad it wasn't DMed as much as the other adventures because of that. It's great!
Starscream wrote:ps: just a crusiosity, but Dr. Green? I didn't recognize the image and I couldn't find anything on google? What creature is he?
The Doctors are new characters from Deepshadow's twisted mind ;) These are from a "soon to be published" Sea of Sorrows FoS report... :oops:

When I added these to my game, end of 2015 or early 2016, I thought the domain would get published in QtR before my journals came online, but that didn't happen that way.

That Dr Green is a Great Fihyr (MM2)