Where was Strahd born?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
EleanorWyatt
Conspirator
Conspirator

Where was Strahd born?

Post by EleanorWyatt »

My players just found the Tome of Strahd, and I'm planning on using the Interactive Tome of Strahd. Knowing my players, one of the first things they'll ask young Strahd is what kingdom they're in. Is there a canon answer for this?

In the supplement, King Berov mentions that Strahd will one day rule Barovia, but Barovia doesn't exist yet, since Strahd hasn't conquered it and named it after his father. On Fraternity of Shadows, it says he was born in "Prime Material Barovia," but again, that doesn't make sense. Why would Strahd name his newly conquered kingdom the same thing as the kingdom he was born in? I don't recall the kingdom ever being mentioned by name in "I, Strahd."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Where was Strahd born?

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Hi there!

In the original (pre-5th edition) continuity, Barovia was the Von Zarovich's ancestral home, which Strahd reclaimed from the Tergs who had invaded it. This was recently retconned to what you've read, where Strahd conquered new lands and named them after his father. In that version, his original homeland has not been named, hence the discrepancy you've found. If you go with the new version of events, you'll have to make something up. You could have them be from Borca, I suppose, as Borca (known originally as Borjia) and Barovia have always come from the same world.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Pretty much what Gonzoron said. I've a feeling when they went back to Tracy and Laura Hickman to flesh out CoS they wanted to emphasis the evilness of Strahd by making him having conquered the land despite some of the additional development that had come out after. They are the creators of the original I6 so their word is closer to law, but I've always preferred a bit more grey, mixed into Strahd's backstory. (though that being said there are plenty of things even in the CoS that point towards Strahd sort of being doomed from the start regardless.)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:You could have them be from Borca, I suppose, as Borca (known originally as Borjia) and Barovia have always come from the same world.
I did not know this, but that's really useful. Might I ask more about how/why this connection is so certain?

— onmyoji
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

onmyoji wrote:I did not know this, but that's really useful. Might I ask more about how/why this connection is so certain?
Most of the details are from Gazetteer IV pg 14-15, though Leo Dilisnya and Strahd have been crossing paths (thus suggesting a link between them) since the Black box. You can find rough the timeline in the Borca section of Mistipedia. But the quick snip...

314 BC The War of Silver Knives in Borjia. Borjia is west of Barovia
316 BC Count Barov von Zarovich ends to the War of Silver Knives, but Borjia is weakened
320 BC Tergs invade Barovia and Borjia from the east
325 BC Barovian armies drive back the Tergs from Borjia.
347 BC Last Tergs driven out of Barovia by Strahd.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

DustBunny wrote:314 BC The War of Silver Knives in Borjia. Borjia is west of Barovia
316 BC Count Barov von Zarovich ends to the War of Silver Knives, but Borjia is weakened
320 BC Tergs invade Barovia and Borjia from the east
325 BC Barovian armies drive back the Tergs from Borjia.
347 BC Last Tergs driven out of Barovia by Strahd.
Gotcha! Somehow, I completely forgot about the Borjia references therein and actually didn't realize they were meant to equate to Borca. Though now that I'm aware of this, I'm surprised Borca doesn't become a domain until more than three centuries after Barovia in 684 BC.

Definitely helps to know this before my players make it to Borca.

— onmyoji
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

There's a Duchess Dorfniya Dilisnya in the crypts of Castle Ravenloft as far back as the original I6. No doubt, the writers of the Black Box pulled the name from there when populating the demiplane. ("Markovia" came from there too.) The Black Box describes some Dilisnyas fleeing Sergei's wedding and settling in Barovia. Ivan's father was born there. Camille becomes a darklord and Borca forms, then Ivan becomes a darklord and Dorvinia forms. Of course, they combine after the GC. I think Gaz IV is the only source for the name Borijia, of the "original" version of Borca. In any case, the Borcan noble families are definitively entwined with Barovia.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

I knew there was some intertwining as there were Dilisnyas in Borca. I guess I just always assumed it was AFTER Borca was added to the Core rather than before. Either way, thanks for sure!

— onmyoji