5 Ways To Make Lycanthropy a Curse Again

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

5 Ways To Make Lycanthropy a Curse Again

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

I remember several posts here asking for help with a player who had decided to live with lycanthropy, though it made the character better, wanted to infect the party, etc. Those were my inspiration for this article.

http://www.highlevelgames.ca/blog/5-way ... urse-again

Feedback is appreciated, of course.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: 5 Ways To Make Lycanthropy a Curse Again

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

I really liked all of the ideas in there. I especially enjoy tactics which deepen the story, like giving the lycanthrope more personal ties or exploring the consequences of bestial rage.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I have never been a fan of Ravenloft's take on Lychantropy; I like to see it as a controllable condition, which become a gift with proper training. I have even rewritten Verbrek to clarify that at least 50% of Werebeasts of every race, in my hopinion, are not necessarily monsters.
(If someone wants to read it it's here: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... f=1&t=9919
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Mistmaster wrote:I have never been a fan of Ravenloft's take on Lychantropy; I like to see it as a controllable condition, which become a gift with proper training. I have even rewritten Verbrek to clarify that at least 50% of Werebeasts of every race, in my hopinion, are not necessarily monsters.
(If someone wants to read it it's here: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... f=1&t=9919
What do you think of Night Howlers?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I do not know it.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mistmaster wrote:I have never been a fan of Ravenloft's take on Lychantropy; I like to see it as a controllable condition, which become a gift with proper training.

Ummm...this isn't inconsistent with canon. RL's version DOES allow it to be a controllable condition, which can become a gift with proper training. It starts out as a curse, though, and the road from curse to gift is steep and rocky.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wolfglide wrote:I really liked all of the ideas in there. I especially enjoy tactics which deepen the story, like giving the lycanthrope more personal ties or exploring the consequences of bestial rage.
Thanks! I liked those parts, too. It came to me in a rush, how half the problem was not the lycanthropy, but the murder-hobo mentality of rootless vagabond adventurers. I've heard lots of suggestions about how to "tweak" the lycanthropy curse to make it worse, but if you fight the murder hobo trope, you may not have to tweak the curse at all.