The Stepford Wives for RL

Discussing all things Ravenloft
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Stepford Wives for RL

Post by tomokaicho »

Has anyone written anything about the Stepford Wives for Ravenloft?

The Stepford Wives scenario is perfect for Ravenloft. With modernizing domains like Dementlieu and Paridon and changes in the status of women, this has put a scare into traditional patriarchal hierarchies. The Ravenloft setting also provides us with the perfect way to create the Stepford Wives - not robotics, but alchemy in the form of Philosophical Children. Where are the original wives? There is still a use for them, and have a guess at what they are needed for? The replaced wives stay in the Sanitarium for Women.

If there is nothing out there like this I would consider writing something up for the next QtR.
Joël of the FoS

Re: The Stepford Wives for RL

Post by Joël of the FoS »

tomokaicho wrote:Has anyone written anything about the Stepford Wives for Ravenloft?

The Stepford Wives scenario is perfect for Ravenloft. With modernizing domains like Dementlieu and Paridon and changes in the status of women, this has put a scare into traditional patriarchal hierarchies. The Ravenloft setting also provides us with the perfect way to create the Stepford Wives - not robotics, but alchemy in the form of Philosophical Children. Where are the original wives? There is still a use for them, and have a guess at what they are needed for? The replaced wives stay in the Sanitarium for Women.

If there is nothing out there like this I would consider writing something up for the next QtR.
There were a few discussions on this topic here (a search will enable you to find it), but no, I do not recall an article on this great idea.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tomokaicho wrote:Has anyone written anything about the Stepford Wives for Ravenloft?

Cool.

I'd consider the flip, with Stepford husbands.

Players might be a little slower to catch on, in that case. Although I may be overestimating how many players would be familiar with the film...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

My mom thought Get Out reminded her of Stepford Wives. The idea of people turning out to be replaced in some way may be fresh in people's minds because of that film.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

ewancummins wrote:Cool.

I'd consider the flip, with Stepford husbands.
I am thinking that there could be plenty of optional, and even contradictory, 'Dread Possibilities'.
Suvie
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Suvie »

Despite the fact that it's what git my GF and I into RL, we never got around to actually running it. We started the whole Gentleman's Lodge thing, but it ran in a different direction.

Regarding the women being institutionalized, I like DS's original idea of the souls being split into fragments, like the mummy in Awakening. The women in the institution might house the (unwanted) personalities of the originals, but not their memories.