Jander Sunstar in your campaign - 'alive' or dead?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jander Sunstar in your campaign - 'alive' or dead?

Post by tomokaicho »

At the end of Vampire of the Mists, Jander Sunstar sacrificed himself and was destroyed (if this is a spoiler for anyone I will eat my hat).

In YOUR campaign or head-canon is Jander Sunstar still around, or was he destroyed? I will go first. Despite rumors of his survival in products such as Champions of Darkness, Jander is dead (as in destroyed) in my head-canon. Without his sacrifice, Vampire of the Mists loses its pathos. To me its seems that the decision to 'resurrect' Jander was purely for commercial reasons and not to drive forward the story.

Your turn.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Jander Sunstar in your campaign - 'alive' or dead?

Post by Mistmaster »

"Alive", Chaotic/Good alignement, and Lightlord in Liffe.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Dead, and his soul won free of the demiplane.
Jander has gone Home.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Unless I find a great way to use him, dead. I love Jander as much as most readers of VotM do, and so I understand the desire to play with him. A lot of the RL novels are cruel in a way, that they give us great NPCs that would be fun to use in-game, and then kill them by the end of the story because that's what a gothic story would do.

but the adventure in CotN:V that brought him back wasn't so great that I would use it just to use him.

he might be best used in a flashback/time travel sort of story that takes place before his death.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

He was still kicking as of the Census Day Massacre in my Kara's Daughters game, having been set free of captivity by the PC's during their final showdown with the vampyr. I had hopes of him playing a bigger role in that conflict, but it didn't work out. Que sera sera.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home