Village of Barovia

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Village of Barovia

Post by Zilfer »

Jester of the FoS wrote:I noticed that. It was a complaint of Curse of Strahd that they didn't bother to expand the village.
(I think I pushed for doing more with the village of Barovia that year in QtR but was voted down.)
I for one would have loved to see what others came up for that town. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

IDEAS

The Village of Barovia was founded by refugees from the old City of Barovia, which was sacked and razed by the Tergs.

Strahd used much of the salvageable masonry from the city ruins to rebuild and greatly expand Castle Ravenloft, and for other projects related to defense and governance.

The Count placed several large chests and sealed wine vats in the cisterns, waste pits, and cellars of the ruined city, filled in the entrances, and then sent out his spies to spread rumors of buried treasure among the Tergs.
Tergs went in. They never came out again.

Barovians avoid the city ruins. Four centuries of utter neglect has covered the remaining building stones of the fallen city in a jungle of scrub, pines, and brambles.
Gypsies say a man who enters the site can hear noises from under the earth, sounds of digging and whispering voices.

----------------

This one gives some village history and local lore, and sets up a dungeon somewhere close to the far side of the ring of choking fog.

EDITED for clarity
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Sounds like something Strahd would do, alright.
Vlad
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Vlad »

Jester of the FoS wrote:I noticed that. It was a complaint of Curse of Strahd that they didn't bother to expand the village.
(I think I pushed for doing more with the village of Barovia that year in QtR but was voted down.)
Well, to be fair, when you consider the domain of Barovia from Curse, it already has one 'big' town, Vallaki, so why make a second one? You can roleplay in Vallaki and have the horror in Barovia, letting you 'feel' what Strahd's presence does. I would have liked to have that with more people in the village though, where you can feel the xenophobia and paranoia of the inhabitants.. Much like in the old Vampire movies.
And, they did expand it a litte bit, with Death house. Although I do like the house (I think all maps are really good in the book, many structures are a bit reminiscent of Castle Ravenloft itself, with stairs going up and down and confusing you.), I don't think it belongs in Barovia. Village, or Domain. The look is more like something out of Port-a-Lucine. I imagine Barovia having more 'farmer-like' structures, not these big-city ones..
Denn du bist
was du isst
und ihr wisst
was es ist
~ Rammstein