Van Richten vs Strahd

Discussing all things Ravenloft
jinat
Conspirator
Conspirator

Van Richten vs Strahd

Post by jinat »

Why is there no adventure module or novel in which Van Richten and Strahd finally meet ? Or am i mistaken ?
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Van Richten vs Strahd

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

That was basically the framing text of "I, Strahd". Van Richten entered Castle Ravenloft seeking him and read the journal, but they didn't actually fight.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Spoilers for Curse of Strahd
VIEW CONTENT:
Van Richten appears in Curse of Strahd disguised as the traveling entertainer Rictavio.
Lord Loren Soth
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lord Loren Soth »

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:That was basically the framing text of "I, Strahd". Van Richten entered Castle Ravenloft seeking him and read the journal, but they didn't actually fight.

I think it's the only other description of how the Tome of Strahd looks, besides House of Strahd and Ravenloft - I6. Strahd actually knows that Van Richten was there the whole time and he seems rather amused when Van Richten leaves Castle Ravenloft, as he thinks that it is quite remarkable for a man of his age to climb the walls with such effectiveness.
"I can kill with a single word. I can hurl a ball of fire into the midst of my enemies. I rule a squadron of skeletal warriors, who can destroy by touch alone. I can raise a wall of ice to protect those I serve."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Personally, I see no need for Van Richten to ever go after Strahd. Yes, VR is the master monster hunter, particularly vampire slayer. And Strahd is the "First Vampyr" and all that, but it feels too much of a Van Helsing/Dracula ripoff when you mash them together. (And yes, I understand where the inspirations for these two characters comes from, but I like to think they've evolved sufficiently from their inspirations to be characters in their own rights. Smashing them together seems to undo a lot of that.) I find it much more personal for Van Richten's nemesis to be Baron Metus. Sure, Strahd is an evil vampire, perhaps the baddest one around. But he doesn't have any personal connection to Van Richten's backstory. So he doesn't make for much of an emotional confrontation. Save the Strahd fighting for Tara Kolyana, or Jander, or Azalin, or Sergei, or Lyssa, ... someone who is a real part of his story, and not another one.

I liked Van Richten popping up in Curse of Strahd, but only in that I liked seeing something from the non-I6 Ravenloft setting. I wasn't thrilled with the execution of his involvement in the module.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

^Or rather his suggested... uninvolvement? :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

What I liked in I, STrahd was that little note that Strahd underestimated Van Richten.
"If he was like all the others, he would be back soon enough."
Like all the others. Van Richten survived by breaking the mold, by studying, learning, adapting and training. As a vampire who survives by surprising his enemies, Strahd should have been more cautious.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Zilfer wrote:^Or rather his suggested... uninvolvement? :)
To be fair, there was some reasoning for it. Being alone and knowing of his curse (unlike the normal Ravenloft canon), van Richten avoids allying with others and is waiting for Strahd to go into hibernation or some other opportune time to strike. In the mean time, Van Richten is simply gathering information. On the other hand, van Richten is pretty old so his strategy is questionable unless there's some unconscious motivation that keeps him from striking.
VIEW CONTENT:
In addition, going after the Vistani seems to be blowing his cover or at least getting Strahd's attention.
Hamiclar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hamiclar »

Interesting idea, I am going to have my group meet him In Kartakass a month after he left Borovia, for more research regarding Strahd. Which he may relay what he has learned. The information may be helpful when the are sent back in time to play Expedition to castle Ravenloft and House Strahd. I plan on playing each separately with Stahd at a his lower level than at his current power.