Quoth the Raven #24 - Submissions Open

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Quoth the Raven #24 - Submissions Open

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

... I thought I knew all there was to fear in Barovia, but I was sadly mistaken. Ready for vampires, I was instead tormented by Ghosts... Ghosts in the Castle, ghosts in the Mists, the ghost of the Devil Strahd's own brother... then lost in a twisting House, host to a hungered painting, until I ended up lost in still more domains of horror beyond Barovia's borders... It became clear that I knew even less now than when I began my terrible journey in Von Zarovich's land. The time had come to swallow my pride and seek help. Surely I could not be the only one willing to stand against the darkness. Surely in the darkest of nights, the stars shine all the brighter. I then pledged myself to this new mission, to seek out the forces of good in this foul place, to rally them, to help the common folk find the heroes they needed. No matter the cost, I would uncover these Lights in the Darkness...

The Fraternity of Shadows is now accepting submissions for the 24rd installment of Quoth the Raven, Ravenloft's most heroic annual netbook. From a suggestion by forum-dweller and QTR23 contributor Mistmaster, the theme for the 2017 issue will be Lights in the Darkness.

With so many great villains in our favorite setting, it sometimes seems that the heroes are destined to be ground to dust under the feet of the darklords and their minions, if they don't succumb to the temptation of joining the darkness themselves. But what could be more heroic that fighting for what's right when victory is all but hopeless? Does not the fight become that much more meaningful when the hope is slimmest? We've seen heroes rise, some pure, some tainted, but all saving lives, and defeating evils. From the famous Van Richten himself, to his heirs, the Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, their driven Uncle George, and Esmerelda d'Avenir. From the Great Detective, Alanik Ray, to the angelic Isolde. Ireena and Tara Kolyana, The incarnations of Tatyana who refused to be just a damsel in distress. Larissa Snowmane, The Keepers of the Feather, Gondegal and the Knights of the Shadows, Shih Suren, The Guardians, Knights of the Raven, Eia Pax... in the 34 years since Ravenloft was first published, the list has grown each time a good-hearted person picks up a sword, or a stake, or a holy symbol... Will you help us add to the roster of heroes? Introduce us to new Champions of the Mists, or new tales of existing Heroes of Light, heroic equipment and spells, organizations pledged to hold back the darkness... If you've got anything on the oft-neglected good side of Ravenloft, we want to see it.

As always, we are looking for anything related to Ravenloft, Masque of the Red Death, or horror in general. The theme is deliberately open ended, but still a suggestion, not a restriction. If you have something great that doesn't fit in with the theme, send it in anyway!

Ruleset doesn't matter! We accept articles using any edition of D&D rules, or even other systems. Some of the best articles don't have any rules text at all! And if you're interested in having your rules converted to another system, let us know. There are lots of volunteers eager to help.

See our submission guidelines for official rules.

Submit your articles to QTR@fraternityofshadows.com. The deadline is September 30th, 2017, but feel free to send your articles in early, especially if you're looking for feedback.

And remember, if the life of a hero were easy, we wouldn't call them heroes....
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Quoth the Raven #24 - Submissions Open

Post by alhoon »

Oh, that's a good one. Time to polish and update some of the half-finished material I had made for years for QtR.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Wow, how many can we send? Off the top of my head, I just thought of three secret societies and about a dozen characters that would fit.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:Wow, how many can we send? Off the top of my head, I just thought of three secret societies and about a dozen characters that would fit.
It's not unheard of for one author to have 3 or 4 articles in one issue. 15 might be a bit high. :) If you could group a few of the characters into one article along a theme, that would work too. But of course, you'd also have to find time to write them all up between now and September, so don't get too ambitious. :) But I know I for one am always happy to see as much of your stuff as you're willing to pump out.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I plan to bunch heroes together and a societies \ locations together.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
DarkCrusader
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DarkCrusader »

Hello there,

Working on another comic book. Any advice or suggestion on format, length or anything?
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

DarkCrusader wrote:Hello there,

Working on another comic book. Any advice or suggestion on format, length or anything?
Make sure it is sent in jpeg, it helps easier formatting.

We take any lenght, worse come to worse, your work will be in its own book!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Ladies and ghouls,

The Sept 30 deadline is coming fast.

Please let us know in advance if you will be late.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

DarkCrusader wrote:Hello there,

I think the last one worked well as a stand-alone, but we can see if it works inside QtR as well.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Joël of the FoS wrote:Ladies and ghouls,

Joël
Argbargl I'm trying to get it done on time, I ammmm..... @_@
On a sidenote, it's over 40 pages long so far. Might it be better to petition the Fraternity for a Gazetteer publication instead of an entry for QtR?
Joël of the FoS

Rock wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote:Ladies and ghouls,

Joël
Argbargl I'm trying to get it done on time, I ammmm..... @_@
On a sidenote, it's over 40 pages long so far. Might it be better to petition the Fraternity for a Gazetteer publication instead of an entry for QtR?
Great! Send it our way, we will see.

Joël
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Not finished yet. ^^; Still need to type up the places of interest and Who's Doomed, then give the whole thing another once-over to make sure I haven't contradicted myself anywhere.
But when it's done, I will send it to you.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

It is probably safe to say I'm not going to be ready in time for the 30th. Sorry. I'll send the document on as soon as it is finished....
Joël of the FoS

And the expected delivery date is ? ;)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I may need another week. :(